TheSunIsFarAway
Kinger

A random atheist is likely a better individual than a random Protestant

TheSunIsFarAway

Pro

I am new here, and not sure how much time I will have so I am setting the character limit quite low (2,000). I think this will be better for a quicker succession of arguments.

I wish to argue that all things being held equal, an atheist individual is likely more moral than a Christian individual. I am defining morality here in a secular sense. I do not want to see statistics on porn or victimless crimes. The definition of morality for this debate will be the net amount of observable good person X does for society. This also includes the net amount of observable burden person X puts on society, and delinquent behaviors such as divorce, heavy drug addiction, and depression are fair game.

I am opening this up to whoever wants to debate me, and hope to see an interesting argument.
Kinger

Con

I would like to thank my opponent for holding this debate that I have accepted.

I would first like to point out out that depression is in no way delinquent behavior. Depression has no relation to being morally right or morally wrong. While the act of committing morally right or morally wrong decisions can affect ones amount of depression, it still makes no sense to call someone who has depression a "delinquent". Depression affects more than 19 million Americans. This is close to 10% of the United States population. [1] Surely not all 19 million of these mentally diseased people are delinquents. Such high esteemed people like Diana, Princess of Wales, and Winston Churchill, suffered depression yet had the highest of purest of morals. While Princess suffered from eating disorders, and Churchill had alcohol abuse problems [2], these issues outweigh their positive influence on society; after all, it was Winston's determination that helped destroy the Nazi Empire.

My opponent has stated that with all things equal, any random atheist would have better morals than any random Christian, in a secular sense. But if we look at things from a secular sense, we are discluding the fact that Christianity has a positive moral impact on individuals. This means we must look at a random Atheist and their morals, and compare them to a random Christian who has no moral influence from his or her church. This is almost turning this random Christian into an Atheist by removing the Christian's morals of faith and gives them a disadvantage. With their religious beliefs, a Christian is more likely to donate to the poor, or not participate in "delinquent" affairs.

Therefore, compaing a secular Christian to an Athiest is the same as compaing an Athiest(or agnostic) to another Athiest; they are the same, therefore, both can have equal morals.

References:
[1] http://www.allaboutdepression.com...
[2] http://depression.about.com...
TheSunIsFarAway

Pro

TheSunIsFarAway forfeited this round.
Kinger

Con

My opponent has forfeited a round. I ask them to continue the debate in the next round.
TheSunIsFarAway

Pro

TheSunIsFarAway forfeited this round.
Kinger

Con

My opponent has once again forfeited his argument in the final round.
I'd like to ask for a re-match for this fine debate.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Good, good. Still in high school, or college like me?
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Same as you. Sweet seventeen.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Alright Kinesis you're cool, how old are you?
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Aww, Sun seemed like a fairly intelligent chap. He appears to have left.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Honey, I love it when you get all angry like that.
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Your lack of respect. I'm sorry you were raised that way, I don't see a bright future for you.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
It's logically impossible for atheism to become a religion.

A religion is a set of beliefs concerning the belief in and worship of a God or Gods, or at its most basic a set of beliefs concerning the origin and purpose of the universe. Atheism includes at most one belief, or possibly merely the lack of one belief, and so cannot fit the definition of 'religion'.

I'll take your bet. ;-)

@m93samman

What's got your knickers in a twist, babe?
Posted by MarquisX 6 years ago
MarquisX
This debate is retarded. @Kinesis Give it 5 years, no, 2. And I can bet 10,000 that atheism will become a religion
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
respect yourself as$hole
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
Yes Ma'am.