samgrahamnhs
Vishrut

A teacher searching a student's bag is an invasion of pricacy

samgrahamnhs

Con

My argument is that the right to safety is greater than the right to privacy. In light of the school shootings over the past 20 years. I challenge anyone to debate me on this. I am not looking to start a fight, I am just looking to hone my skills as an amateur debater.

I support my statement using the new jersey vs tlo supreme court ruling in favor of saftey
Vishrut

Pro

Teachers should not play the role of intruders.
They should understand the feelings of children.
children should be given their privacy.
samgrahamnhs

Con

Students who commit crimes and engage in suspicious behavior forfeit their right to privacy in a public school.

The supreme court rule in 1988 that " school officials have the right to search the bag of a suspicious student in order to protect the greater good of the other students on campus"

Furthermore it is part of a teacher's job to protect the children in the school; therefore it is not only a teachers right to search a suspicious students bag, pocketbook, etc. , but their duty to other students.
Vishrut

Pro

Vishrut forfeited this round.
samgrahamnhs

Con

To extend my point about the constitutionality of teachers searching a students bag I bring up the case tinker vs Des Moines that stated though a student does not leave their privacy at their front door they can expect a reduced amount of privacy much like they can expect at any other government facility, i.e. airports, bus stops, post offices, etc.
Vishrut

Pro

Vishrut forfeited this round.
samgrahamnhs

Con

samgrahamnhs forfeited this round.
Vishrut

Pro

Vishrut forfeited this round.
Posted by Eller200 4 years ago
Eller200
"Students do not shed their constitutional rights at the schoolhouse gate."

No teacher has the rights to search a student period. Only by school officials with reasonable proof that a search is necessary can a search be done on a student. I would first like to say, YES. There should be more rights to students on invasions of privacy.