Idauntiles
Sans_the_Ander

A unicorn is superior to a pegasus as a war mount.

Idauntiles

Pro

First round is acceptance.

We are obviously assuming that these creatures are real. To simplify things, we'll assume that the riders of these mounts are equal in strength and do not have access to projectile weapons. If you don't know what either of the creatures mentioned in the resolution are, I recommend you try Google.

I really don't care how you evaluate superiority. Use your imagination. If you would like to assume that there are whole armies of the creatures that would be fine with me.

Good luck.
Sans_the_Ander

Con

Accepted.

I will be arguing that a pegasus is superior to a unicorn as a war mount.

Good luck to you too!
Idauntiles

Pro

Many thanks to you for accepting. I'm mixing and matching my unicorn lore a bit, but I invite you to do the same with the pegasus. I can't be bothered to find direct links, but my sources are primarily Harry Potter, Dungeons and Dragons, and some assorted European folklore.

There are many reasons why one would consider a unicorn to be superior as a war mount. The unicorn is a highly magical being, and most of its magic revolves around healing, an obvious asset in war.

1. The horn
The horn of a unicorn serves a couple of functions. It has amazing healing properties, making it an incredibly useful asset in any imaginable combat situation. The horn also doubles as a deadly melee weapon. There are numerous accounts of men being gored by angry unicorns. The healing properties of the horn are activated by the will of the unicorn, in case that last bit seemed contradictory. As the pegasus must close with the unicorn to engage it in combat and can't depend on its rider lobbing projectiles from a safe height, the horn provides a clear advantage if one were to make these two mythical beasts battle. If one were fighting opponents mounted on ordinary horses, however, the lack of both horns and wings would provide an instant disadvantage to the enemy. There are also some sources that say that a unicorn can throw itself from a high cliff and take all the force of its landing on its horn, and thus escape safe and sound. This leads one to believe that the horn of several fallen unicorns could be fashioned into some form of indestructible armor, or an unbreakable weapon. Even as one kills the unicorns in battle, they make the opposing army stronger.

2. The blood
The blood, in addition to the horn, has healing properties. Even if the unicorn is slain, it can still contribute to the war effort. Usually when a horse, or in this case unicorn, dies in battle it usually falls and crushes one or both of the riders legs. This, with a unicorn, can be remedied by either ripping off the horn or using the blood. There is some confusion as to whether or not one has to drink the blood or simply apply it to the wound, but it couldn't possibly take more than a few seconds with an entire bleeding unicorn in front of you.

3. The hair
Unicorn hairs are quite sturdy. If one needed to tie up a prisoner, one could simply take some hair from the tail of his/her unicorn and use that to bind them. The average person would most likely not be able to break them.

4. Physical strength
There is a general consensus that unicorns have great physical strength. This strength is what makes it so difficult to catch them or kill them. The great strength of the unicorn could be directed towards slaughter, carnage, and bloody rampage with a little bit of encouragement.

5. Tendency to kill evil people
Unicorns are well known for going into a murderous rage whenever an evil individual gets too close or tries to mount them. Usually only women can mount unicorns, but if a man is exceptionally righteous a man could also ride a unicorn. Thus we have an assurance that the supernatural cavalry will not turn against the king and start butchering, raping, and pillaging their way across the land. While this might make their numbers small at first, it wouldn't take long for training camps devoted to making pure warriors capable of riding unicorns to spring up. As the unicorns themselves would kill all unworthy candidates, there would be no cheating the system.

The unicorn is clearly an exceedingly fine mount to ride off to war on. I eagerly await my opponents arguments in favor of the pegasus.
Sans_the_Ander

Con

Sans_the_Ander forfeited this round.
Sans_the_Ander

Con

Sans_the_Ander forfeited this round.
Idauntiles

Pro

Really now.
Sans_the_Ander

Con

Sans_the_Ander forfeited this round.
Posted by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
lol