sahaam
Shadowguynick

A vegetarian diet IS better than a meat eating diet.

Shadowguynick

sahaam

Pro

I believe that a vegetarian diet is better than a meat eating diet.

My 1st point is that meat eaters say that a vegetarian diet is bad because you need meat because you need protein.Well there are plenty of vegetables that have protein in them like Soy beans,Broccoli,Cauliflower,Watercress,Sweet Corn and there is a lot more.

My 2nd point is that a vegetarian diet is much more healthier than a meat eating diet because there is hardly any fat in it and it has a lot of vitamin c,protein,iron,Magnesium,Calcium and a whole lot more.

My 3rd point is that studies show that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters, click on this link:http://www.livestrong.com... If you did not click on the link than it shows that vegetarians have a lower risk of heart disease and that they have a lower cholesterol.

There fore I say that a vegetarian diet is better than a meat eating diet.
Shadowguynick

Con

I accept. I would like to point out pro has not said I couldn't take the stance of being omnivorous, as omnivores are meat eaters as well.

Point 1- You need fat sometimes. Fat is not bad for you in controlled quantities, and especially when you exercise. Also those who eat exclusively vegetables are at a higher risk for vitamin B12 deficiency.

Point 2- Taking the stance of being an omnivore, I see no reason you cannot eat meat for the benefits it has, and vegetables for their benefits as well.

Point 3- Your point is valid, however the survey conducted would have had skewed results. First off most people eat meat, so there is obviously more heart problems found among them. Second, we also have to remember that vegetarians are not gaining any good cholesterol.

sahaam

Pro

You said that fat is not bad for you in controlled quantities well in a vegetarian diet there are some vegetables with fat in them like Avocados, Olives etc. Here is a link that shows vegetables with fat in them and how much fat is in them:http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com...

So some vegetables have fat in them but they are controlling that fat content in controlled quantities.Which is very good for there diet.

You also said I see no reason you cannot eat meat for the benefits it has, and vegetables for their benefits as well.
But if you have a vegetarian diet it has benefits of meat as well.So why not just eat veggies.

You also said, Your point is valid, however the survey conducted would have had skewed results. First off most people eat meat, so there is obviously more heart problems found among them.
ALL surveys are done fairly they get 5 vegetarians and 5 meat eaters test there diets and see there risk of heart disease.So if the test is done fairly then its obvious that vegetarians have a lower risk of heart disease than a meat eater.

you also said that we also have to remember that vegetarians are not gaining any good cholesterol.
Well vegetarians are gaining good cholesterol.http://www.dailymail.co.uk...

On the link there are foods that give you good cholesterol.Now I know that some of them are NOT vegetarian foods but MOST of them are vegetarian foods.

So in conclusion
Shadowguynick

Con

I concede your point of some vegetables have fat.

I also concede that the survey wouldn't have been off if it was split 50/50. However your source says explicitly,
"studied a total of 76,172 women and men living in the United Kingdom, United States and Germany. Of this total, 27,808 study subjects were vegetarians," which would mean that only a 1/3 of the participants were vegetarians. This would vastly skew the results, since those who eat meat were given double the participants.

I concede your point on cholesterol.

So far this means that both diets are the same overall, but you never addressed my point about vitamin B12 deficiency. Let me start by bring up some other common deficiencies. Vitamin D, omega-3 fatty acids, and calcium. Iron and zinc are somewhat common as well. I'll admit that the calcium one depends on the type of vegetarian. For the purpose of this debate may you state what you are defending? As in, can you eat dairy products?

I would also like to point out that since the opponent needs to prove that vegetarianism is better, if I prove they are equal then I should win.

sahaam

Pro

You said that I would also like to point out that since the opponent needs to prove that vegetarianism is better, if I prove they are equal then I should win.

I don't accept this.The debate is called A vegetarian diet IS better than a meat eating diet and I agree with this,you disagree with this so you believe that a meat eating diet is better.If you say that there equal this wouldn't really be a debate.If you don't agree with the conditions then don't debate.

Also I agree that vegetarians should eat dairy products but I don't agree with them eating meat.

Now you said that I haven't addressed your point on vitamin B12 deficiency. So I will now address that point.Yes they do have a risk of vitamin b12 deficiency but meat eaters get a risk of vitamin b12 deficiency as well.

Now so far meat eaters and and vegetarians are kind of the same,however studies show that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters.http://online.wsj.com...

If you clicked the link then you would have seen an article showing that vegetarians live longer than meat eaters.

Also along time ago people did NOT eat that much meat,instead they ate fruits and vegetables which made them live longer and more stronger.

Also meat eaters say that we were made to eat meat because we canine teeth.That is not true.http://www.celestialhealing.net...

If you clicked the link you would have seen a study showing why we weren't made to eat meat.If you scroll down you would have seen an image of human canine teeth and tiger canine teeth.Our teeth are blunt not sharp.We were made to eat vegetables and fruits.

Also studies show that vegetarians have a lower chance of getting cancer than meat eaters.

So there is a big difference between meat eaters and vegetarians.

In conclusion a vegetarian diet IS better than a meat eating diet.
Thank you very much for letting me debate with you.
Shadowguynick

Con

First I would like to state that I misunderstood your resolution. Typically in DDO, when the resolution is about one thing being better than the other, con only needs to assert that the two are equal. I will respect your wishes now, but remember that for other debates in DDO.

Point conceded on dairy products.

Everyone is at risk for B12 deficiency. Vegetarians are simply much more at risk. Here is a link backing up my claim.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com...

They ate fruit, vegetables, and fish. And last I checked, fish was meat. Plus they had hard lives, which made them stronger, but they most certainly did not live longer. They lived to be around 50-70, but only if they managed to survive childhood. Life expectancy is more of a medical issue considering the diseases.

I agree, we were made to be omnivores. Your link ignores that we are able to digest both kinds. If we were truly herbivores, we shouldn't be able to eat meat. If we were carnivores we would not eat vegetables. And we do have a set of canines. Your link also says that we don't have frontal sharp teeth. What are our front teeth then? They are obviously not molars, and not canines by far, but they are a mix. Which makes sense if we are herbivores. Our body favors a largely vegetable diet because we came from herbivore groups, but through evolution we are now omnivores. Our closest cousin, the chimpanzee, is also an omnivore. A lot in the link is false. For example, it's belief that all cholesterol is bad for you. Also that chickens and vultures look unhealthy? What? Also it says that vegetarians get a lot of protein, but that protein is hardly digested. Our bodies digest protein from meat much easier. In fact, our bodies don't digest parts of vegetables easily, like cellulose.

In answer to heart disease, you must remember that heart disease comes from over consumption of meat. However, there are studies to show that lack of meat results in a higher chance for stroke.
http://stroke.ahajournals.org...
They believe that vegetables lack certain nutrients that help prevent stroke. So meat eaters can stop heart problems by eating less, but vegetarians can't really stop stroke. Therefore it is somewhat better to be a smart meat eater.

Now your biggest concern is the life expectancy difference between the two groups. However, I looked over your link. The problem with the study is that there are WAY too many variables. Lifestyle, genetics, and stress levels to name a few. Even the article admits they don't know what is wrong. So the study should be viewed with a little skepticism. Also, like I said before, eating too much meat is bad for you. Therefore you still eat right, but that doesn't mean exclude meats. Most people don't do this.

Therefore those who are omnivores have much healthier lifestyles. This was a wonderful debate, and I wish my opponent the best of luck in future debates. Thank you!
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 4 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
wimper flop wimper flop flop whine whine whine
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
Lol, whatever. You had enough energy to move your fingers. If you're so tired why don't you stop posting.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 4 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
I can't read what you typed. I am too weak from trying to look up ONE number

pantpantpant

;)
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
For each meal then. And it is not the complexity of the number I care about, but I'd rather be not bothered by a useless piece of information. Like I said, I get plenty of exercise (I'm a wrestler) and I don't really need to worry about food intake. If I do, then I will be bothered to find the number. Right now, I don't need to know.

Oh, and sir, if you don't mind, could you please stop posting in such a way to disrespect me? Thank you.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 4 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
I did NOT state for each day.

I state for each MEAL.

it's ONE number and OH!!!!!! so hard to memorize that it CANNOT EVER be memorized.

Fall on the bed in your weakness!!!!!
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
I'm sorry, you want me to memorize how much fat I need to intake a day? Sorry, but I work out (a LOT) I'm gonna eat as much as I want.
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 4 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
...as is the norm!

Plus, you need it all the time and you DO NOT have it memorized.
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
Eh, I just didn't feel like looking stuff up. I could have easily presented how much is needed, but I got lazy,
Posted by dawndawndawndawn 4 years ago
dawndawndawndawn
So, you guys can find link to how much fat is in food but, never and I do mean , NEVER do you bother to see how much fat
( or anything else)
is needed in a meal!!!!!!

Reallllllll studying is just tooooooooo hard for you eh?
I have to tell INTELLIGENT adults about food EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!

The ignore-ance (IGNORE-ING-THE-FACTS) level is APPALLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Shadowguynick 4 years ago
Shadowguynick
Thanks for the advice :) I didn't even notice my S/G, I'll make sure to check more clearly next time. And I'll make sure to quote, instead of paraphrase. I conceded mostly not to get into an argument about something silly.
Vote Placed by Nataliella 4 years ago
Nataliella
sahaamShadowguynickTied
Reasons for voting decision: The sides of the arguments were equally efficient along with the spelling and grammar. Conduct goes to Pro because Con conceded more arguments than did Pro. Sources goes to Pro for using more than Con did.
Vote Placed by wrichcirw 4 years ago
wrichcirw
sahaamShadowguynickTied
Reasons for voting decision: see comments