Jfignewton
astrobry

A view into an enhanced human world

Jfignewton

Pro

So this is not so much a debate as it is a discussion to see what others think. I would like to know other peoples opnion on this question. Here it is. What do you think the world would look like if every human being woke up tomorrow using 100% of thier brains. Try to be specific and include every aspect of life such as Society, Media, Politics, War and more.
astrobry

Con

If by using 100% of our brains, I will assume that you mean that we have increased aspects of intelligence, awareness, memory, senses, etc.
If we were all using "all of our brain" then perhaps we would be more socially conscious and aware of what is going on in our environments. It is interesting to speculate about what might then happen as a result. Perhaps a great deal of social change would occur that would allow people to better the planet. However, one could say that the measure of ones intelligence is a measure of their education. As a result of this we could still have really stupid people with no education. Thus if the education of people is not widespread then we may not benefit from such an increase in brain power. Since there are education systems in place around the world, let us assume that we do.
At some point we may then collectively realize that we all have a similar instinctual interest in survival and that through intelligent systems we can sustain ourselves on the planet while still allowing for our species and others to grow.
Due to how the planet is currently, it could take awhile for such a system to be put into place, but with enough hyper-intelligent people in play, such a system could be put into place in a relatively short amount of time.
This is only half of this scenario. The other half consists of a more selfish view of humanity. This can be shown by all those who are continuously cheating others to gain something for themselves. If enough people are in it for themselves they could simply push the others who wish to better the planet out the window.
In terms of society, war, peace, etc., these would likely have drastic changes. You can never know how they will change in such a scenario as this due to the gravity of such a change.
My opinion is that things would change for the better, but it is all dependent on who has the power and the resources to do so. If the majority of people realize they are getting fucked over by those in power, then perhaps it would change drastically. If the increase in their awareness doesn't help, then perhaps it could remain completely the same.

Another completely different idea is that we would all die because our bodies would not be able to adapt in time to meet the needs of the brain after this transition.
Jfignewton

Pro

I feel very divided about this question. On one hand I see the utter destruction and massacre that man has been capable of since our very beginnings. And then on the other hand I see all the good and beautiful things created by man, governments, literature, entertainment and much much more. I believe even using 100% there would be mass chaos for a long time. Chaos because the masses both in this country and around the world in 3rd World countries would realize how and why being oppressed and would rise up to break those bonds. Perhaps the world would be divided. On one side you would have entire masses of people together to create more weapons of mass destruction to break the bonds of oppression and in turn causing a greater divide. And on the other side you would have another mass of people pursuing peace but at the same time wanting to defend themselves. Perhaps all men would see reason, in that wars folly and cease war altogether. On environmental level I believe it wouldn't prove for the better significantly. The treatment of the environment, Forest, animals and more would improve. Yet perhaps this would involve greater discoveries in science. For example in London a couple days ago they just created the world's first artificially stem cell grown beef patty that was cooked and eatan. Some think this is a great idea in that it will diminish the demand for cows and lessen thier torture. But on the other hand the stem cells are being cultivated from dead cows.. isn't this asking for more diseases and more cancer ? I'm truly conflicted on whether we would solve more problems or would we create new ones ?
astrobry

Con

This is such a complex issue that I can only imagine what would happen. That being said. Let me go into a few more tangents of the imagination.
I agree with you on the part of there being a sort of spectrum going from destruction to salvation. However, considering our current state of affairs, I think that with everyone becoming "super-intelligent" it would be a lot different.
I think that considering our current governments(and comparing them to the past) we would end up with better systems of government, better health systems, a completely different society(one of enlightenment?), less war, better environments. Mostly because everyone would become smart to some extent (although I still think there would be some remnants of a hierarchy left). I don't know about the weapons of mass destruction, but perhaps what might be a more optimistic outlook are the increase in "weapons" of mass creation. A better way to define what I mean by that is an item that will help in the healing process or a device that allows us to easily visualize, build, etc. Perhaps a robotic system that lets us create things with pieces of matter. War could become obsolete if people begin to realize its frivolousness and understand that there is enough in our Solar System for everyone. I also want to touch on space exploration. With this sort of increase in brain power, better systems for the exploration of space may become available.
This comes down to an imaginary scenario. I'm sure there would be a magnification in scientific discoveries and an influx in the application of these discoveries. It would be an interesting event to experience nevertheless.
Jfignewton

Pro

Jfignewton forfeited this round.
astrobry

Con

astrobry forfeited this round.