Kaylamarie143
AlwaysMoreThanYou

A woman has a right to an abortion .

AlwaysMoreThanYou

Kaylamarie143

Pro

Every woman has a right to her own body and what to do with it. If guys were to be told what to do with there body there would be OUTRAGE. any and all arguments based on moral grounds are unacceptable when it comes to this topic. Just because someone disagrees with youvr stance on sometnig doesnt mean you can tell them what to do. Dont like abortions? dont get one. What defines life anyways? its rather subjective not even all scientist can agree on when life starts. according to the meriam webster dictonary (that has SEVERAL defintions to fit all the needs of people who claim to know when life starts) a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body
b : a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings

a : the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual

Both of these examples of defintions are very subjective and leave us with questions what is a principle or a force that is distinctive of animate beings?
and what are these physical or mental experiences?

several religious groups and persons have claimed to go against abortion because of their religion usually this religion is christiantity

Hosea 9:11-16 Hosea prays for God"s intervention. "Ephraim shall bring forth his children to the murderer. Give them, 0 Lord: what wilt thou give? Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. . .Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb." Clearly Hosea desires that the people of Ephraim can no longer have children. God of course obeys by making all their unborn children miscarry. Is not terminating a pregnancy unnaturally "abortion"?

2 Kings 15:16 God allows the pregnant women of Tappuah (aka Tiphsah) to be "ripped open".

these are just a few examples from the bible that god himself wasnt even pro-life.
AlwaysMoreThanYou

Con

I accept this debate, in the spirit of CCC §2271:

'Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:'

Since this does not appear to reserve first round for acceptance alone, I will attempt to counter my opponent's arguments.

Rebuttals:

Pro writes 'Every woman has a right to her own body and what to do with it'

Even if I was to hypothetically grant this unjustified assertion, abortion as a right would still not logically follow.

Pro writes 'If guys were to be told what to do with there body there would be OUTRAGE. any and all arguments based on moral grounds are unacceptable when it comes to this topic.'

All arguments based on moral grounds are acceptable when it comes to this topic. This also fails to support the claim that 'A woman has a right to an abortion.'

Pro writes 'Dont like abortions? dont get one.'

Don't like murders? Don't commit one. Don't like rapes? Don't do one.

Pro writes 'What defines life anyways?'

Good question. Since you need to affirm the claim that 'A woman has a right to an abortion.', I expect you to satisfactorily clear up all ambiguity.

Pro writes 'several religious groups and persons have claimed to go against abortion because of their religion usually this religion is christiantity'

Yay for them. Irrelevant.

Pro writes 'these are just a few examples from the bible that god himself wasnt even pro-life.'

Yay for Him. Irrelevant.

Arguments:

The Argument from lack of an argument:

As Con, I am able to assume a ridiculously sceptical position as my opponent has the burden of proof. Therefore, my opponent must prove that rights exist, and that a woman has one with regards to an abortion. So far, I have not seen an adequate proof of this.

There is no evidence that we have 'rights' of any sort. As a consequence, there is no evidence that anyone has a right to anything, let alone an abortion.

The Argument from logic:

Axiom: Babbies r good
Premise: Fetii r babbies
Conclusion: Fetii r good.

The first statement is axiomatic in it's veracity; there are few who would claim that babbies r not good. Although this is an appeal to popularity, I still think it's an axiom.

The second statement is logically supported by the definition of 'fetus':

'An unborn or unhatched offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.' [1]

The conclusion follows from the premise and the axiom; if babbies are indeed good and a fetus is a babby, then it is logical to conclude that fetii r good. Thus, there is no right to abortion.

The Argument from Emotion

The argument from emotion is, put simply, a collection of gory pictures showing dead fetuses. Enjoy [2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9][10], unless you have a weak stomach or just don't like seeing dead things.

Yuck. Thus, there is no right to abortion.

The Argument from ridiculous presuppositions

Premise 1: Fetuses are innocent humans beings
Premise 2: It is prima facie immoral to kill an innocent human being
Conclusion: It is immoral to kill a fetus

The only contestable part (I feel) about Premise 1 is that fetuses are innocent. Life begins at fertilization [11], and a fetus must be a human life, because there's no other type of life it could be. It is a distinct individual from the mother, and being a seperate individual life that is human, the most logical view is that it is a human being.

Premise 2 kind of needs to be taken at face value. I suppose if my opponent wishes to dispute it, that's his/her/its perogative, but it won't jive with my nihilist argument for me to be simultaneously arguing against rights, yet claiming that certain things are objectively morally wrong.

The conclusion follows from the premises. If it is immoral to kill a fetus, then you have no right to an abortion.

The Argument from Gender-Equality

Premise 1: The genders are equal
Premise 2: An abortion can only be utilized by a woman
Premise 3: If one gender has a right that another doesn't, the genders are not equal
Conclusion: There is no right to an abortion

If my opponent disagrees with this argument, then they are a sexist. Voting for a sexist is prima facie immoral, thus you must vote for me if my opponent contends this.

Conclusion:

I have blatantly wasted the time of both the reader(s) and of my honoured opponent. Despite that, I do have some arguments that actually make sense, and I have rebutted my opponent's case.

1. Google search of 'define fetus'
2. http://ronabbass.files.wordpress.com...
3. http://24.media.tumblr.com...;
4. http://www.cheffabregat.com...(2).jpg
5. http://s4.hubimg.com...;
6. http://www.jillstanek.com...
7. http://www.priestsforlife.org...
8. http://www.priestsforlife.org...
9. http://www.priestsforlife.org...
10. http://www.priestsforlife.org...;
11. http://www.princeton.edu...;
Kaylamarie143

Pro

Kaylamarie143 forfeited this round.
AlwaysMoreThanYou

Con

Extend all arguments, even the hopelessly fallacious ones.
Kaylamarie143

Pro

Kaylamarie143 forfeited this round.
AlwaysMoreThanYou

Con

Vote Con.
Posted by joseph.bazemore 4 years ago
joseph.bazemore
Well done everybody has their own cross to bear people learn a scripture or 2 then their christ himself at armageddon like vengence is theirs they gonna tell everyone change. the rightous are supposed to guide the lost back , blind themselves they only seperate further. you catch more bee with honey instead of vinegar. im sure youve heard but you either catching them to really help or to get close enought to hurt them further . easy as will ya or wantcha. i love scriptures but i refrain when possible knowing the words dont mean you hear the words and how they are to be applied in full honesty.
Vote Placed by tulle 4 years ago
tulle
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: I lol'd at some of Con's arguments. I definitely did not click on any of his sources x___X But he rebutted Pro's arguments and, through forfeit, Pro was unable to respond or rebut any of his.
Vote Placed by TigerTime 4 years ago
TigerTime
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff, not that you need the points here :p
Vote Placed by DeFool 4 years ago
DeFool
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, however, I am not certain how this might have ended even if the contest had not been abandoned. My scoring decisions have been forced in this matter, however I want to state - on the record -that I was unimpressed with Con's arguments. For example, after noting that he may adopt an intentionally extreme stance, Con states, "There is no evidence that we have 'rights' of any sort." I accept his tactic of aggressively forcing the BOP... but such an argument is so inflammatory that it can be difficult to recognize as anything but parody - and can become a distraction. Obviously (I am noting the score) this was universally not the case here. No debate occurred.
Vote Placed by Clash 4 years ago
Clash
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit by Pro. Con's arguments and rebuttals was never answered to.
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: Axiom: Babbies r good Premise: Fetii r babbies Conclusion: Fetii r good.
Vote Placed by TrasguTravieso 4 years ago
TrasguTravieso
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: "even the blatantly fallacious ones" win
Vote Placed by emj32 4 years ago
emj32
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: God had a plan for this debate ...
Vote Placed by Nur-Ab-Sal 4 years ago
Nur-Ab-Sal
Kaylamarie143AlwaysMoreThanYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct and arguments to Con for Pro's forfeiture.