Tommy.leadbetter
Demonsthenes

ADHD is not real

Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

ADHD does not occur by itself. It is not an actual thing so to speak. There are such a thing as people, with the personality traits, that fit the description of the symptoms of ADHD-but ADHD itself does not exist like for example cancer or down syndrome does. Its symptoms are merely a description of behaviours that are natural, and that a lot of people exhibit in this society. They then find a drug that alters the physiology of the hormones that are typically associated with the type of behaviour exhibited. This does not mean that it exists! By exist in itself I mean it cannot spring on you by itself and effect you, nor can you be born with it. It is merely a reaction to the society and the specific experiences of the person effected. So the term should be forgotten, and the causes of this behaviour should be dealt with. Also it makes sense that drug companies would support this form of lifelong medication, for money. Also its good for government because it takes the focus away from the underlying societal problems and doesn't undermine the system. For it cant be the system, it must be the individual. So there are major political and financial advantages of ADHD and these are the people pushing it. Also its easier for everyone to think that the problems are not their fault, but just unlucky genes or whatever logic they use.
Demonsthenes

Con

ADHD is a real syndrome it is not something that society has created. It is a specific set of traits that are grouped together, it negatively affects that way that people live their day to day life. Some people are unable to focus or do anything in a socially acceptable manner without medication. I do not believe that drugs are the right way to solve this problem- perhaps alternative medication or natural solutions. However, these "characteristics" can be cured or helped so that those suffering from ADHD can lead a heathy productive lifestyle.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Okay so I will go through your argument piece by piece.

You say: ' It is a specific set of traits that are grouped together, it negatively affects that way that people live their day to day life' .

I have already stated this pretty much, I don't understand how this suggests that it is not 'real'. For many labels for groups of traits could be devised, and these may negatively effect someone's life. It does not make them real... Also I would add that the NHS definition for ADHD, definition being the symptoms (as these are the only thing that is there), is very vague, not at all specific. 'High energy levels' 'Lack of attention' etc. These are present in all people and especially children!

You say: 'Some people are unable to focus or do anything in a socially acceptable manner without medication'

'socially acceptable manner'? You mean, sit a desk and do low-grade clerical work? I'm not surprised some children find this torture, it is not natural. Not to mention all the other things in this society that influence children to be fun loving, and the stigmatization of hard work, and even the modern diet has been shown to increase all the same symptoms of ADHD. What do you say to primitive culture (or 'normal' culture as I like to call it) not having ADHD? In your view, is it a genetic mutation that is spreading quicker than thought genes could multiply? Or is it a reflection of a society not made to fit our nature? What medication would you give? and An excellent talk whereby he says that the teachers of a particular school said 'the drugs made him less attentive, less interested, less animated and more reserved, but at least he was quiet!' does that sound like a good attitude to ADHD to you?

You say: 'I do not believe that drugs are the right way to solve this problem- perhaps alternative medication or natural solutions'

So if drugs aren't the right way, it can only be a change in the environment and the learned cognition of the individual. Therefore it must have also of been this that caused it, surely? So if you believe this to be true we have no argument. Though you say alternative medicine or natural solutions, so I don't know if you are talking of medicine.

So please answer the issues I brought up in my opening statement: Basically that it is a reflection of an unnatural life. We all live it, but I am saying ADHD is not something you are born with nor can you acquire it without relevant influence.
Demonsthenes

Con

One cannot acquire hyperactivity or the inability to focus. A particularly distracting environment might make a child less attentive, but then all children would be less attentive. ADHD is an anomaly, it is not caused by environment, it is an unnatural amount of energy and the inability to focus. Someone's environment cannot make them hyperactive to that level. you say that if they were in a different environment then they would not be like this. I have personal experience with a school for Dyslexic and ADHD children and they still act exactly the same as they do in a regular school environment. They have the same symptoms. It is not the environment that creates hyperactivity and attention deficit, it is the person.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Your point. "One cannot acquire hyperactivity or the inability to focus. A particularly distracting environment might make a child less attentive, but then all children would be less attentive. ADHD is an anomaly, it is not caused by environment"

I am sorry but this statement is completely false. For one, all children would not be less attentive because they all have had different upbringings. To say one does not acquire the trait of being unable to focus on a particular task is ridiculous, our personalities are even being shaped in the womb. There is ample research showing this. Our body and everything in it is effected by its environment as soon as it has an environment. If the mother is stressed in pregnancy the child will be more prone to addiction, anger problems and disruptive behaviour. So if even at this stage or personality is being formed, why is it so strange for us to acquire hyperactivity or the inability to focus. (and I must add that ADHD does not give you an inability to focus, it makes you more likely to get bored of things that don't interest you. Indeed you may focus more than 'normal' people on things you enjoy). So I am assuming you have limited knowledge of genes and the biology of behaviour? Anyone who knows about this in detail will tell you that genes are not determinants of behaviour or life, they are flexible (environment) to the point of completely self-destructing or changing completely. They are like an instruction book, that doesn't always need to be read in full, nor followed to the letter if the circumstances call for it. Indeed it is more complex than a book, for it has the capacity to change ITSELF in response to the environment and not just change transcription.

The most flexible genetics are the ones coding for behaviours,, behaviour is basically hormone (on a biological level) and we know that hormones change in response to environment. For example there are thousands of types of receptors that pick up the same hormone, there can also be a lot, or not many of these, also the nerve cells 'characteristics' can be effected by other hormones, and the proteins that release these hormones can be made in different ways, the genes that code for all these variations respond to environment. It is impossible to talk about biology without environment. For example if you put a new born baby in a room on its own (for one you would have to feed it and that would diversify its environment, not to mention prenatal effects) it would die before long. So it is impossible to study the human outside the context of environment. For you to be thinking that we are born with genetically determined personalities that are set and are almost unchangeable is shocking to me, I thought we had all moved on from this. This kind of mentality is not so far from eugenics and other social models that lead to discrimination.

You say. " It is not the environment that creates hyperactivity and attention deficit, it is the person."

What does this mean? I it what I said before about the genetically determined behaviour?

Another example of the circumstances of the environment changing personality follows: Children who are abused actually have a gene completely changed, that is not present before the abuse.

You say. " I have personal experience with a school for Dyslexic and ADHD children and they still act exactly the same as they do in a regular school environment"

Yes because they are already like that, perhaps over many years this would decrease, but I don't understand how this shows ADHD to be a product of genetics and and not society.
Demonsthenes

Con

That is true, many different factors influence personality. Everyone's personality is a little bit different, there is never one that is quite the same. Then why are certain people all over the world exhibiting a specific set of symptoms or "behaviors". And what about other disorders? Are they also just behaviors? What about Autism and Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder? Are those also just behaviors all caused by environment? Personality is influenced by environment, but it is all based off of genes. Some babies are more calm than others, some play better with other babies. These are just the genes that they were born with
We are born with some personality traits that cannot be changed. Over time people adapt their personalities to fit their environment. Different schools teach different values, come children are taught to be sharing and giving, while others are taught to fight for everything. But over time these behaviors change as the person's environment changes. ADHD is always there, it may taper off a little as people get older but it stays with them their entire lives it does not change based on the environment. Even in schools for children with ADHD the children do not become calmer or more able to focus. In my experience they are still medicated and they still have the hyperactivity, the schools just try to unleash all of that pent up energy. They cannot change the person no matter what they do.
This school was K-8 and even after nine years children still had severe ADHD. You say "perhaps over many years this would decrease", but after nine years they still have ADHD. If their "personality" cannot be changed after nine years than I think that that is a clear indicator that this is something that cannot be influenced by environment.
You imply that by believing that people are born with certain unchangeable personality traits we are promoting discrimination and eugenics. By not letting people believe this we are promoting eugenics. For hundreds of years unrecognized minorities have been bullied and discriminated against because they were not publicly recognized for being different. They were outcasts and alone, they were the same group but they were not united. By not admitting that children with ADHD have a known disorder we are letting them go back to being the badly behaved kid in the classroom. By diagnosing them and telling them that they are not alone we are preventing discrimination. It is the attitude of denial that creates discrimination, not recognition of the difference.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Just a point before we begin, you say: "By not admitting that children with ADHD have a known disorder we are letting them go back to being the badly behaved kid in the classroom. By diagnosing them and telling them that they are not alone we are preventing discrimination. It is the attitude of denial that creates discrimination, not recognition of the difference." If your way is right, why do you also say that: "This school was K-8 and even after nine years children still had severe ADHD" and: "Even in schools for children with ADHD the children do not become calmer or more able to focus. In my experience they are still medicated and they still have the hyperactivity." So it seems this method of labelling them and segregating them, medicating them and treating it like a genetic predetermination, doesn't work very well. Would you agree its not working? it doesn't sound like it too me.

So anyway, your argument:

You say: "Then why are certain people all over the world exhibiting a specific set of symptoms or "behaviors." Well, they are not, this is what I have been saying all along. 'Difficulty focusing on schoolwork' 'high energy levels' 'Fidgeting' (in school I remind you) are hardy 'specific' traits are they? I would even go so far as to say they are common, or even predictable in the circumstances.

You say: "And what about other disorders? Are they also just behaviors? What about Autism and Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder." Well I say pretty much the same thing, schizophrenics and bipolar sufferers are far more likely to have has traumatic experiences in childhood or even extreme circumstances. Genes do not determine behaviour, the predispose only, this is not predetermination. I do not know enough about autism to comment, though I am aware of people who have been 'falsely' labelled with it and I am not wholly convinced by its determination. Skitzophennia however I have some experience with and from this I believe that it is environmental. Also courses like (Human behavioural biology, Robert Sapolsky) explain in detail how schizophrenia, bipolar and even perhaps autism are largely environmentally determined. But this debate is about ADHD and this is most certainly not predetermined, at best it is predisposed but I don't believe its this simple at all.

You say "Personality is influenced by environment, but it is all based off of genes." Well not exactly. For example, a particular gene that is more common in the most violent people. However, the carriers of this gene had to of been abused as children, if they had this gene but where not abused, they where actually less violent than average. Violent people without this gene where not always as violent as the ones with it though. So its not like "genes set the basis" and "experiences goes from there" its far more subtle, beautifully complex and counter-intuitive.

You say: "Some babies are more calm than others, some play better with other babies. These are just the genes that they were born with," I have explained this, we are 9 months old when we are born! We have evolved to 'evolve', in the safety of the womb, to the world we are about to enter. There is a lot of research showing the effects of the prenatal environment on the unborn baby, showing stress for example to make babies more prone to addiction, mood swings ect. So how much more subtle personality shaping is going on in there?

You say: "We are born with some personality traits that cannot be changed." Not true. If you abuse a child he/she will change. So with that as a factual basis, we can assume everything effects your personality to some degree, even if only slightly. Also, to illustrate the power of the situation on the individual, I ask you to think about the numerous hypnotists that can make people think they are a chicken from merely effecting the environment. Our minds our powerful things, not in our control, we can convince ourselves of almost anything and self fulfil it until it feels natural.

You say: "after nine years they still have ADHD. If their "personality" cannot be changed after nine years than I think that that is a clear indicator that this is something that cannot be influenced by environment" Well not if their environment hasn't changed in a way that would change this behaviour. The people who run these schools are still not fully aware of what it is (I am not saying I am). Also its factors in the outside world that cause ADHD as well as school, so I imagine that ADHD school isn't worlds apart from a normal school, and thus its no wonder the 'condition' continues.

You say: "By not admitting that children with ADHD have a known disorder we are letting them go back to being the badly behaved kid in the classroom" I am not saying put them back into the classroom, I am saying the classroom 'caused' it! I am saying we need to rethink our idea of education, we need to understand children and human beings in general more and fit society to their needs. It is not engaging children properly that has spawned this epidemic, along with bad diets, poor role models and a frankly confusing society.

Also I would like to add to my first point: If the current method of dealing with it is working, why is ADHD become more common, and why does that correlate with the increase of medication. Surely the more medication, the less ADHD, and surly if us being aware and labelling it is helping, it should be on the decrease. No, it will never change until the underlying societal factors are fixed. And this is testament to the fact that it is avoidable and not a life sentence inscribed at birth.

Also, the reason why labelling people is more like eugenics than not labelling is because it gives no way out. It says to anyone not conforming that you are a problem person who should be delt with through medication of punishment. If we understand these people, we will find that they in fact have as much to offer as the rest of us. Recognizing the difference, too you means, labelling a person as a disease. I recognize the difference and I attempt to avoid it and combat it, because I would of said to a sufferer of ADHD that he is not permanently bad because he was born that way, I would say he is misunderstood and I would ask them what it was they wanted to do.
Demonsthenes

Con

You say that these are not specific traits, then what defines specific. Also one of these traits might not be specific on its own but the more and more traits you add, the rarer the combination is.
You show the example of one gene that is changed by environment, but fail to mention hundreds of others that are for the most part not.
being in the womb does affect personality, but only a tiny bit.
The ADHD school that I speak of was one of the most alternative schools that I have ever seen. Every morning they would provide intense exercise of the children for an hour. Then the children were provided with specially trained private tutors, every hour they would have a break. And every Friday they would spend all day outside. That sounds pretty far from normal to me. You say that the classroom caused it. Then why don't all children have it? Do some have some genetic predetermination that could be causing this? ADHD might be becoming more common is genetics, if parents pass down ADHD to their children then it should be increasing exponentially.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

You say: "You say that these are not specific traits, then what defines specific. Also one of these traits might not be specific on its own but the more and more traits you add, the rarer the combination is."

This is true, so if the symptoms where specific, such as hearing voices, severely impaired social skills and fits for example, then yes. If sufferers of all three symptoms where sparsely divided into the society, and over a wide range of social backgrounds, then it would be considered a biological problem. But the symptoms of ADHD go hand in hand. Difficulty paying attention in school, hyperactivity and high energy levels all go hand in hand. Its not like you wouldn't expect to see one without the other. This also suggests that it is organic, as its typical of a person who has a lot of energy too struggle to sit still for hours on end and learn about boring stuff. Its not like hearing voices or having down syndrome, its just a personality.

You say: "You show the example of one gene that is changed by environment, but fail to mention hundreds of others that are for the most part not."

Im sorry but where have you learned this? Genes are not set, the are like an instruction book for things that is only consulted when needed and is adapted to the environment. If genes where set then why, if I had an incredibly traumatic experience tomorrow, would the genes of my second child be different to that of my first? Also how do you think animals have evolved without genetic malleability? I cannot go into the details of genes and their relationship with the brain and the brains effect on personality. But let me tell you its not what 99% of people think, its far more complex. Almost ALL psychological conditions can be avoided. I accept that many people will never change, but this does not mean that there behaviours are built in from birth. Indeed they are built in, their brains are hard wired to that personality and their genes even reflect it, but it DOESNT mean that they HAD to peruse that route. The gene evolves in life in order to mean the requirements of the environment. Watch (humanbehaviouralbiology. Sapolsky) Or anything with Robert Sapolsky. Genes are read by other systems in the body that 'choose' what to read. For example if you put the gene that says 'put eye here' from a mouse into a fly, the fly will grow the eye there, but it will be a fly eye, not a mouse eye. Gene biology is still very much undiscovered, and so to simply say that hyperactivity and a low attention span for children in school is some kind of new unavoidable genetic condition, that needs medication and cannot be avoided, is ridiculous, lazy and even damaging.

You say: "being in the womb does affect personality, but only a tiny bit."

This isn't very scientific, we don't know how much it effects personality. It could even be a lot as this is the time when a person needs to learn as much as they can as quickly as they can about the world they are about to enter. But who knows, such a claim as you have made is not very accurate.

You say: "Every morning they would provide intense exercise of the children for an hour. Then the children were provided with specially trained private tutors, every hour they would have a break. And every Friday they would spend all day outside. That sounds pretty far from normal to me."

It doesn't too me. No offence to the school its doing its best and its not a bad approach, but they are not thinking outside the box. For pupils could only come to school once a week and pursue one of their interests at home or somewhere more appropriate depending on their passion. Who knows, the point is its still school, just more relaxed. And also there are other factors, general ignorance amongst the population about human psychology and human health, also media that makes children not see the point of an education, as so many their role models are violent action hero's or sluty women.

You say: "You say that the classroom caused it. Then why don't all children have it? Do some have some genetic predetermination that could be causing this? "

No. All children do have it, just not as much to be labelled as having it. And the reason why some children are less and more energetic than others, is because of their life. They all have had totally different lives. Everybody gets bored in class and looses attention at times, and we all can have days where we have more energy. Its not like schizophrenia where nobody can relate too you as your symptoms are things like hearing voices and other, alien behaviours.

You say: "ADHD might be becoming more common is genetics, if parents pass down ADHD to their children then it should be increasing exponentially."

It takes generations and generations for genetic disorders to spread throughout a population. And it would not be growing more and more in the more developed countries now, for such a trait would have been much more useful hundreds of years ago and so it would of spread now and not be on the increase right now.

Summary.

So a lot of people think ADHD is real because they no somebody with it, or even have it themselves. I don't mean to offend anyone I actually don't believe ADHD to be a bad thing. And by that I mean, I don't think having an energetic personality which is very spontaneous and creative is a bad thing. School is boring and we all know that, we know that we can be interested in science, but not like sitting a desk for hours on end learning about a specific piece of information at 9 in the morning. When all your mates are there and its sunny outside, and you live in a society with less authority than 50 years ago. Its hell for most students, don't be fooled by people saying they loved school when they are 22 or older. They are exhibiting positive memory syndrome, most of them really didn't like it 80% of the time. (20% being break time). (I must admit as you probably know, these figures are made up for no such research has been done, I ask the readers to ponder this point and comment with your opinion on this idea, its lazy I know). So people like this need to be properly engaged more than the rest of us do. 40% of people don't get 5 grade a to c in the UK at GCSE level. (1). Many of these are forced to do it anyway, and not necessarily because they actually have a passion for any subject. Most people get there heads down and endure it, others flunk it and don't really care, others cannot take the $h!t, and this is perhaps where the ADHD sufferers come in. They are not badly behaved children for this is nonsense, they are misunderstood and probably more effected by the obscenities in our society, for if they have the right environment and circumstances they can thrive more than 'normal' people. So to treat it like a disorder, a genetically determined 'problem' is wrong, it should be a sign to the government that we need change in our education system and change our culture. No that there is some fluke disorder that is spreading like a disease or something that means we must drug our children and sedate them! Insane.

There is no evidence for ADHD. None at all. It is a term given to children who exhibit normal behaviours to an extent that is created by the observer. All it is, is a child struggling to concentrate (because they don't want to) in school, and having high energy levels. I believe the growth of ADHD in society is actually a result of growing disinterest in education (due to many factors); less discipline; a culture of instant gratification and comfort; a decrease in obedience to our elders and less value given to hard-work and thriftiness. Even somebody totally sceptical of this new understanding cannot argue that these factors potentially increase the chances of the symptoms of 'ADHD' occurring. We all know that the children of this generation are different with the way technology and culture is changing. Schools haven't changed its no wonder there is conflict. Do you really think its more likely that a fluke genetic disorder appeared and is now spreading across the country? Also genetic disorder that supposedly changes brain function, a thing now understood to be much much more complicated than that, something that is a reflection of the life it leads.
Demonsthenes

Con

You say that genes are not set, so if a black male grew up in a white female sorority then they could become a white female because his their genes are not set? Some genes are changeable and others are not. And a second child's genes would be different because there are endless possible combinations that can be made of different genes from different parents. myadhd.com Says that children who have parents with ADHD are more prone towards having it. This seems like a direct indicator towards a genetic hereditary disorder. People have shown symptoms of ADHD for ages, only the environment was different and there was no diagnosis. Now that we have seen negative effects of it in daily life we want to diagnose it and treat it. Often we will see ADHD in one sibling but not the other, and yet they have very similar environments. This is because one has a genetic predetermination that the other does not. Denying that these people have a genetic predetermination implies that there is something wrong with them that they could have prevented. ADHD cannot be prevented or changed, people are born with it they do not acquire it over time, it is something that was not preventable. As soon as a baby is conceived and their genetic makeup is created they either have ADHD or they do not have it. It is not created by environment, it is an unavoidable genetic predetermination.
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
shiningmoon. So what did you do on the tests that proves you have a genetically predetermined problem?

"She is extremely capable of and can do much better" so your not any less than anyone are you? whats your area of work now and all that if you don't mind me asking. Because we humans are not ment to live in a world like this you know, and it hurts some more than others. But that doesn't mean its a weakness indeed its a positive thing in my opinion. But people like scientists often suffer from ADHD and autism, and business leaders can also 'suffer' from it. But because there lifestyle maybe more pleasing, they may not see it as a problem. For if you push pencils in a finance office all day and you animal instincts are going strong, your going to get stressed and fidgety. Do you exercise? this is a contributor to lack of concentration and anxiety.
Posted by nicolepatton 3 years ago
nicolepatton
My 10 year old brother has ADHD. He was diagnosed with it when he was 6. Plain ignorance.
Posted by shiningmoon11 3 years ago
shiningmoon11
Hi, I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was in the 8th grade. Because I am a female, it took longer for them to realize there something might be causing my "laziness" and the fact I distracted other students. My report cards have said the same thing since I started kindergarden: "She is extremely capable and can do much better. She is a distraction to others."

Do you believe other mental illnesses are real? Depression, anxiety, PTSD etc. According to the NIMH, people who have ADHD are more likely to suffer from Bi Polar Disorder, Depression, Anxiety, Learning Disabilities, Conduct Disorder and Tourette syndrome. There was a study conducted in 2010 which provided evidence that ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder. It is a genetic disorder, if the parent has ADHD the chances are higher that their children will also have ADHD. The study also suggests there is similarity in the DNA of people who have ADHD and autism. Although they are classified differently, both DNA shows an overlap on chromosome 16.

The idea that ADHD is not real is all speculation. The reason everyone questions it's existence is because it's overused. Most of the people who claim they have ADHD have not been officially diagnosed with it. It's something to say when people are forgetful or zoning out. These things are normal but for people who are suffering from ADHD, it's constant, 24/7. When I was diagnosed with it, I spent hours taking tests. I had no idea the meaning of each one. One of the tests was a series of simple math problems. I was not aware she was timing how long it took me to answer each. The times were completely inconsistent. There were many other tests, that is one example. At the end she informed me on a scale of 1-10 (10 being most severe) that I had a score of 8. It's been 10 years now and it is very real and sometimes extremely frustrating. Unless you don't believe in any mental illnesses, the pharmaceutical companies aren't doing anything wrong because it's a real thing.
Posted by Demonsthenes 3 years ago
Demonsthenes
Even if you did not know that you had cancer would you still have it? Of course you would ,ADHD affects people in everyday life it prevents them from doing things that society deems necessary for a healthy lifestyle. If a child is unable to sit in a desk and learn how to read then how will they be able to progress in their career. You say that it is common to have high energy levels in children, and it is. But I have had personal experience with children that had severe ADHD, they would be literally jumping up on desks screaming and sprinting through the halls. Does this seem like a natural level of energy. It may not be in our primitive nature to file taxes and sit in a desk, but that is what is normal now. You seem not to have a problem with wether or not ADHD is real, but how society treats people with it.
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 3 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
Had you not known about ADHD wuld you have it? Or are you just more enlightened than the majority of people. You say you fixate on the important, may I ask you what that is? I assume you mean things which are not taxes, jobs, finance, education etcetera. Human beings are not meant to do these things! The fact that some of us, or you in this instance, find this hard is no mystery or genetic disorder! Just because you have been told you have it and you do the things they tell you characterize it doesn't mean your any different. Obviously you are not 'normal', but that goes for everybody if you dig deep enough. Also 'normal' is living in a hunter gatherer society, which nobody does anymore. So the fact that many people deviate from our subjective norms and 'play up' is not strange. For if you where in a society that was 'normal' and thus everybody around you was 'normal' and your life was 'normal' you would be 'normal'!
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 3 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
'Zardi' no I am saying ADHD does not exist. These people suffer exactly the symptoms they suffer, but there is no such thing as 'ADHD'. Just like if I decided to name people who got jealous in a relationship as sufferers of 'acute jealosic syndrome'. It does not mean that it actually exists beyond an abstract concept.
Posted by Frikcha 3 years ago
Frikcha
It's a mental/behavioral disorder. i have it and i can tell you that it really is a thing. i've heard many people call it a myth but nobody knows more than people like me how it can really affect you. saying ADHD is just a cluster of personality traits is like saying the same for schizophrenia or sadism. It's not the way you are brought up that causes these disorders, they are just there. i had a fairly average upbringing but i've always been the way i am. i'm not as complaisant as other people becuase despite being told something many times from a young age i have always been different. i never tried to, nor do i want to, "fit in" with people. i see things differently to most people, i think about small pointless things and fixate on the unimportant. almost everything in my world is interesting in some way and with a view on life like this, the menial aspects of everyday life that most people mindlessly take part in just don't appeal to me. when i question people and present my opinions their response is usually the same. they all say "we just do" or "just cause". i'm not taking part in the debate because this is all i can really offer and i'm not familiar enough with the more scientific aspects of it.
Posted by Zaradi 3 years ago
Zaradi
Are you trying to say that people with ADHD don't really have ADHD?