AOW Ethiopia (pro) vs any other African nation (con)

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

This is a war debate. It is impossible to accept this debate. If you want to accept, please send me a PM. If you somehow find a way to accept this debate, you will automatically forfeit the complete 7 points. Tell me what country you will represent, and tell me why I should choose you to be my opponent; give me a very good reason as to why you want to do this debate and why you would be a worthy opponent. I am Ethiopia. Comment if you are interested. If you want to debate, message me.

If you are a member of the Art of War (AOW) debate group [created by @The-Voice-of-Truth], then you must vote on this debate. If you are a member of AOW and accept this debate, then state your win/loss ratio.

If you are interested in joining AOW, message @TheRussian or @The-Voice-of-Truth. The primary prerequisite to join this group is: you have to have participated in AT LEAST ONE war debate. If you are a member of AOW, you must vote on other members' war debates unless a valid reason is given. You can challenge other members to debates related to war game scenarios.

There is a Moderator who will ensure that this debate follows the below rules. For this debate, the Moderator is (insert member name).

There are some strict rules that apply. Voters must penalize any violation of the rules.

1. When you accept the debate, state your country, and state the numbers of your armed forces (aircraft, men, ships, etc.). Use this source for military numbers ONLY, as it is the most reliable:;

2. Each country's turn can range from about 3 days to 60 days long, so all actions must be in accordance with this time period. (DO NOT try to win in one turn! Take into account that your opponent is also a living, thinking being that can adapt to a situation.)

3. Morale is a key factor in your armed forces' effectiveness.

4. You may produce more military forces (soldiers, ships, aircraft, tanks/humvees/cavalry), but it depends on your military budget, your country's population, and how industrialized your nation is.

5. You may choose to invade or defend.

6. The defender makes the first move.

7. The defender's primary military objective is to remove the attacker's forces from the defender's territory. The attacker's primary military objective is to annex the other country, or destroy it (physically, economically, etc). Secondary military objectives can be made by the debaters if they wish. Fulfillment of the military objectives is victory. If either side fails to fulfill their set objectives, the voters are free to reasonably determine the winner based off of who was more successful in completing their objectives.

8. If a nation's capital is destroyed/liberated, this does not necessarily mean that the war is won; the capital could be recaptured. If one of the debaters destroys or controls the administration of the opposing country, OR if the opposing country is destroyed to the point of no administration, then that debater is immediately guaranteed a 7-point victory.

9. Every aspect of the war must be realistic and must remain within the parameters established by the rules and the title. Any unrealistic action and actions deviating from the rules will cause the entire action to be void. Any further deviation after the first void action will result in a complete debate forfeiture.

10. Weapons of mass destruction are NOT allowed. A WMD is defined as:

-Radiological weapon or a radiological dispersion device: any weapon designed to spread radioactive material

-Nuclear or Thermonuclear weapon: an explosive device that derives its destructive force from nuclear reactions

-Chemical weapon: a device that inflicts chemicals designed to harm or kill humans/animals

-Biological weapon: the use of biological toxins or infectious organisms to inflict damage.

Non-conventional detonation of conventional weapons IS allowed.

11. No allies (NATO, UN, Muslim Brotherhood, or otherwise) under ANY circumstances. Annexation of other countries or agreements that allow formations of larger nations and/or direct military intervention is NOT allowed. Personnel and forces CANNOT be supplied by other nations.

You CAN have military or diplomatic agreements and/or treaties with other nations (agreements not to interfere etc). Radical groups, militant organizations, paramilitary factions et cetera are NOT allowed.

Religion is NOT a factor. No economic sanctions from any other nation, but economic warfare is allowed.

You cannot increase your country’s population, nor can you use ANY method to allow the involvement of other countries other than what is specified. You cannot receive donations or economic support from private agencies.

12. Cyberwarfare is allowed. Electronic warfare is limited to radar/radio jamming and interception; NO EMPs.

13. The country chosen must be one of the 206 sovereign states recognized by the United Nations as of 2015. Former states such as the USSR are not accepted, nor are territory-controlling factions not officially recognized by the United Nations, such as the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, currently the Islamic State), and Gaza Strip, controlled by Hamas, but recognized by the UN as a part of Palestine. You cannot choose my nation.

14. Appropriate conduct MUST be maintained: no insults, cursing, profanity, vulgar language or trolling. Any violation of appropriate conduct WILL BE REPORTED to DDO authorities.

15. If you fail to follow the rules once, you will be given a warning and your actions in that round will be void. Further disobedience of ANY of these rules WILL result in an immediate loss of the debate.

16. The Instigator is Pro.

17. These debates are strictly Force versus Force; no civilian action is allowed unless Total War is declared.

18. TOTAL WAR can be declared only as an absolute last resort. Total war is defined as the complete mobilization of all available manpower of the country. In a state of total war, every able citizen either joins the military personnel or the military labor workforce.

19. All scenarios MUST be realistic; there MUST be an established reason for conflict.

20. We may either follow the date-time storyline format, or state the events that occur directly as realistically possible in a period of 45 days.

21. This is a Category 2 AOW debate. A category 2 debate DO NOT allow the usage of WMDs. Category 1 debates allow WMDs.

Total Population: 99,465,819
Available ManPower: 40,000,000
Fit for Service: 24,800,000
Reaching Military Age Annually: 1,950,000
Active Frontline Personnel: 185,000
Active Reserve Personnel: 0

Land systems:

Tanks: 2,300
AFVs: 800
SPGs: 85
Towed-Artillery: 700
MLRSs :183

Air power:

Total Aircraft: 80
Fighters/Interceptors: 24
Fixed Wing Attack Aircraft: 24
Transport Aircraft: 34
Trainer Aircraft: 14
Helicopters: 33
Attack Helicopters: 8

Resources (petroleum):

Oil Production: 100 bbl/day
Oil Consumption: 57,000 bbl/day
Proven Oil Reserves: 430,000 bbl/day

Labor Force: 47,540,000
Merchant Marine Strength: 8
Major Ports and Terminals: 2
Roadway Coverage: 36,469
Railway Coverage: 681
Serviceable Airports: 57

Defense Budget: $340,000,000
External Debt: $15,550,000,000
Reserves of Foreign Exchange and Gold: $3,589,000,000
Purchasing Power Parity: $145,100,000,000

Geography(in KM):

Square land area: 1,104,300 km
Coastline: 0 km
Shared Border: 5,925 km
Waterways: 104,300 km

Sup breh. This will be fun, but not in the way you are thinking.

I choose the Democratic Republic of the Congo. I choose to invade. I choose to make this war start because of coercion from Russia (my ally that won't take part in this debate) says to invade. More land, in the name of the USSR, etc.

I don't really want to post all of the info, feel free to look through this source: won't be doing shady stuff, just really lazy.

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

5/25 With the Democratic Republic of the Congo's declaration of war, Hailemariam Desalegn, the prime minister of Ethiopia releases this statement. "Fellow EThiopians, today the Democratic Republic of the Congo have declared war on us. They've released no statement as to why. We believe that either they have become warmongers, or there is more to this war behind the scenes. Regardless, we will never surrender. Until all of Ethiopia is conquered, until every loyal Ethiopian is killed, we will never give into their demands. Remember this, We will never surrender."

5/26 Ethiopia mobilizes. EThiopia liquidates $400 million of its foreign exchanges and gold to gain the right to produce Alouette III helicopter. Since this helicopter is old, France agrees. (1) Factories are to begin producing military supplies, ammunition, and aircraft.

6/3 Without enough soldiers to fully defend the likely invasion line without spreading the soldiers too thin, the Ethiopian army develops a Guerilla strategy. 10,000 soldiers are ordered to do guerilla warfare in front of what is called the triangle line where soldiers are more organized from Nekemte, Awassa and Seru. The goal is to prevent any assault on Addis Abbaba.

6/29 Most of the 10,000 soldiers are in positions. They are hiding out in secluded positions ready to do guerilla warfare on attacking armies.

7/1 Ethiopia launches a cyber attack on the Democratic Republic of The Congo. Several blackouts occur as a result.

7/7 As Ethiopian soldiers wait in position, they hire local workers to build trenches and other fortifications as they wait for the invaders.

SInce I am a defender I will await your move.

Russia the almighty, thank you for allowing me to take part in this debate.

7/8 Joseph Kaliba and Augustin Matata Ponyo jointly send the following poem, translated into English, originally by Borges, to Ethiopia:
  • I have committed the worst of sins
  • One can commit. I have not been
  • Happy. Let the glaciers of oblivion
  • Take and engulf me, mercilessly.
  • My parents bore me for the risky
  • And the beautiful game of life,
  • For earth, water, air and fire.
  • I failed them, I was not happy.
  • Their youthful hope for me unfulfilled.
  • I applied my mind to the symmetric
  • Arguments of art, its web of trivia.
  • They willed me bravery. I was not brave.
  • It never leaves me. Always at my side,
  • That shadow of a melancholy man.
Then, the President and Prime Minister of the DRC take on suicide vests and walk into a room of their top military commanders. On three they will both press the button.

Nothing remains.

7/10 News of the suicide of the leader of DRC confuses the administration of Ethiopia.

7/12 10,000 soldiers from the triangle line are pulled back. 500 are to guard Addis Ababa directly. The rest are spread out to northern cities to make sure no northern surprise attack.

7/15 The administration of Ethiopia decide that the suicide of the leaders in DRC was intended to cause confusion. The regain their recomposure to make sure nothing bad happens.

7/20 Soldiers continuously gain supplies, waiting for action.

7/21 The Constitutional Court convenes and declares the death of the President. Léon Kengo Wa Dondo of the Senate becomes the new Acting President, and appoints David Byaza Sanda Lutala as Prime Minister, under Article 78 of the Constitution of the DRC:
The President of the Republic appoints the Prime Minister from the ranks of the parliamentary majority after consultation of the latter. He terminates the functions of the Prime Minister upon presentation by the latter of the resignation of the Government.

7/22 Dondo and Lutala jointly send a poem to Ethiopia, translated in English, originally by Borges:
  • The labyrinth is lost. Lost too
  • all those lines of eucalyptus,
  • the summer awnings and the vigil
  • of the incessant mirror, repeating
  • the expression of every human face,
  • everything fleeting. The stopped
  • clock, the tangled honeysuckle,
  • the arbour, the frivolous statues,
  • the other side of evening, the trills,
  • the mirador and the idle fountain
  • are things of the past. Of the past?
  • If there’s no beginning, no ending,
  • and if what awaits us is an endless
  • sum of white days and black nights,
  • we are already the past we become.
  • We are time, the indivisible river,
  • are Uxmal, Carthage and the ruined
  • walls of the Romans and the lost
  • park that these lines commemorate.

Then, Dondo wears a suicide vest, said to give a speech, and walks into the Senate, killing all Senators of the DRC.

At the same time, Lutala invites the Constitutional Court to appear to the Lower House to give a speech about the future.
He dons a suicide vest, and kills all representatives and Judges.

Nothing remains.

7/25 The Ethiopian government is once again confused about the actions of the DRC.

7/26 15,000 soldiers from the triangle line are sent back home.

7/30 The Ethiopian government regains its composure knowing they must stay on guard.

8/3 Production of military armaments is slowed, but not stopped seeing as the DRC is doing absolutely nothing in this war except having its administration commit suicide.

8/4-8/11 By the end of the week, 250,000 Congolese commit suicide.

8/12-8/19 By the end of the week, the death toll rises to 2 million.

8/19-8/26 By the end of the week, the total death toll rises to 5 million.

9/1 The Ethiopian government doesn't even know what to do now. With so many people in the DRC committing suicide, they wonder 'how' and 'why' this is happening.

9/5 All factories are to switch back to what they were originally making before this war since there was no fighting.

9/10 Guerrilla fighters are to return home.

I mimic the thoughts of Jean Baudrillard, postmodern philosopher:
"We live in a world where there is more and more information, and less and less meaning."

With that, I turn the knife upon myself and become alike all of those killed in the Congo since imperialism started there...
Posted by whiteflame 4 months ago
>Reported vote: brant.merrell// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Con (Arguments). Reasons for voting decision: And let this be a lesson in warring against suicidal fanatics with an appreciation for poetry. This gave me Game of Thrones chills.

[*Reason for removal*] Not an RFD. The voter must assess the arguments given and not merely make a non-sequitor and award points.
********************************************************** **************
Posted by Dynasty2468 5 months ago
That's an outside-of-the-box thinking right there!
Posted by Lexus 5 months ago
It killed the commanders.
Posted by tejretics 5 months ago
Next round, there'll be a poem. It will send a shiver through the hearts of the whole of Ethiopia.
Posted by Russia_The_almighty 5 months ago
DiD you just have your leaders commit suicide in a room of their military commanders likely killing them also?
Posted by tejretics 5 months ago
I'm sure.
Posted by Lexus 5 months ago
What a mess. This one will be a bigger mess. You'll see.
Posted by tejretics 5 months ago
Excuse me?
Posted by Lexus 5 months ago
love you tejas.
Posted by tejretics 5 months ago
lol, Lexus, remember our AOW debate? It was horrifying.