Abercrombie and Fitch has discriminatory policies

The first round is acceptance only. Questions will be answered in the comments section.

State your case.

I would first like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Abercrombie and Fitch has policies that discriminate against many people because of weight, social status, and ethnicity. Their policies put down anyone who does not follow their idea of a "cool kid".

1.) Abercrombie and Fitch openly discriminate against people that are overweight. Their size chart publicly shows this, and their CEO has also made public statements concerning this. I will provide a link to Abercrombie and Fitch's sizing chart here:

This sizing chart demonstrates the discriminatory policies of Abercrombie. The sizing chart only includes women's' sizes through large, excluding XL and XXL. This discriminates against a large percentage of the United States:
"To whit, the “average” American women now wears a size 14 (with “plus-sizes, often classified as 14 to 34, account(ing) for 67 percent of the population) a number that typically hits the ceiling size charts of most American-distributed stores and brands."

Read more:
This demonstrates that Abercrombie is discriminating against about 67% of American women because of their size. This makes them feel inferior, which can harm them psychologically over the long run and make their life more difficult in the present.

2.) Abercrombie also discriminates against women that are not American (racial discrimination). Their CEO gave a statement saying:
"In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids," he says. "Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong [in our clothes], and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely. Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don't alienate anybody, but you don't excite anybody, either."

In this quote, Mike Jefferies admits to believing that in order to be cool and popular with a lot of friends, you have be "all-American". This is discriminatory towards those that may be of other ethnicities or originate in other countries. Again, this can cause many adolescents who do not fit this description to feel insecure, like they aren't good enough because of their ethnicity. This quote also can go back to my first argument, because it is a direct quote saying that Abercrombie does not want "fat" kids wearing their clothes, and that they will never belong.

3.) Abercrombie discriminates against those that are not considered to be popular. again, this is coming from the previous quote, where Mike Jefferies openly says that these people don't belong in their clothes. Those that are considered to be unpopular often already face social challenges, and to be told that they don't belong anywhere could make them miserable.

Again, Abercrombie discriminates because of weight, ethnicity, and social status.

I look forward to hearing my opponents arguments.

atoy120 forfeited this round.

As my opponent has forfeited his round, I extend all of my arguments.

atoy120 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture, and no contest.