SonicNinja
Maikuru

Ability to control other's perception of time is the strongest super power

Maikuru

SonicNinja

Pro

Hello, this is my first debate that I started. This will be an experiece for me and I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate
In this debate, I will argue that having the ability to control the perception of time in others is the best ability a fictitious character can posses.
Con will argue for a diffrent power.

Limitations on this power are:
1)Range: up to a certian range can the percieved time be stopped
2)Time: For the character who posses this power, this power stops real time (for the opponent within range) for 10 seconds.

I look forward to the debate
Maikuru

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this debate. As a comic book fan, I look forward to discussing this topic.

Resolution

My opponent has taken the stance that the ability to control the perception of time in others is the best ability a fictional character can possess. In opposing this resolution, I shall argue in favor of a different power and demonstrate how it is either equal to or superior than that chosen by my opponent.

To ensure fairness, our presented abilities will not be switched or altered beyond this round. They can, of course, be elaborated on based on the information we've presented in Round 1. For the sake of this debate, we will use the colloquial meaning of all terms in the resolution.

Counter-Argument

As my opponent has presented no arguments, I will use this opportunity to present and explain my chosen power: the ability to control time itself. Represented to a limited extent by characters such as Hiro Nakamura [1], Tempo [2], and Zoom [3], manipulation of time allows for numerous impressive feats. These include, among others, total control over time travel, speed, aging, and the time stream on a localized or grand scale.

Given that this ability necessarily encompasses my opponent's choice while having none of its limitations, I eagerly await Pro's arguments.

References

1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
2. http://en.wikipedia.org...
3. http://en.wikipedia.org...
SonicNinja

Pro

i would like to thank my opponent for an interesting debate :)

first and foremost: i believe control of time itself is just my ability, but without the restrictions. Why? because while time has indeed stopped, my perception of time is that it keeps going: in essence: you're controlling my perception to THINK time is still going, while in reality it has stopped. See how that works?

in the event that it doesn't, let's go through a scenario. If you're like any human i know, assuming we did battle, the FIRST thing we'd both do is use our power. You would probably stop time for an easy win. However, who's to say i cant warp my perception of time before-hand. What do i mean? well, if you stop time, yet i modify my perception of it, then in reality, time (within my range) is warped, so control is slightly lost in that space during my time limit, but it STILL allows me to see you. Especially if i speed up time in my area. Now, that will only last for a few seconds, but if i activate it again RIGHT before my time limit ends, then i can effectively keep my ability going.

Now, that will provide me an advantage against even someone with control of time. Making time perception control above time control.

i REALLY look forward to my opponents counter argument (i can tell this will be fun :) )
Maikuru

Con

Pro has presented two arguments in favor of his proposed ability. Unfortunately, these points fail on multiple points and fall short of affirming the resolution. I will rebut these contentions and, in so doing, prove the superiority of my own position.

Rebuttals

1. Perception vs. Reality: Pro claims that control over the perception of time is equivalent to actually controlling time. Of course, given that perception refers only to cognition, this ability resides totally and completely within the mind. Influencing how one understands the flow of time accomplishes little more than temporarily confuse one's thoughts and does nothing to alter time itself. As such, causing an individual to believe time is flowing normally when it has stopped (for 10 seconds, which is the extent of Pro's ability) simply freezes their body in place while their mind continues to operate normally.

Total control of time, on the other hand, is not so unimpressive. It represents power over an entire dimension and is not limited by distance, duration, or human senses. This power would allow for any form of time manipulation imaginable, including immortaility, time travel, and Pro's own ability. Therefore, my opponent's power is not equal to time control, but rather one of innumerable abilities encompassed within it.

2. Powers in Battle: Once again, Pro argues the merits of perception control. Unfortunately, he misrepresents his own ability. In Round 1, Pro defined his position as "the ability to control the perception of time in others." As his battle scenario involved altering one's own perception of time, this strategy is void. Furthermore, given that Pro's power is limited by range, a time limit, and is unlikely to influence one who exists outside of time, he is left with no alternatives.

On the other hand, mastery over time offers one numerous options in disposing of enemies. To start, familiarity with the future grants immediate knowledge of potential threats, while access to the past allows them to be dispatched without confrontation. Such an ability essentially guarantees that any adversary would be eliminated before they were even aware they were in danger. In addition, total control over the time stream offers the opportunity to simply blink opponents out of existence, expedite their aging, send them elsewhere in history, or simply freeze them in time.

Closing

Pro's case, while unique and seemingly complex, has proven itself to be both limited and self-defeating. He has chosen to defend a form of perception control which pales in comparison to control over an entire dimension. Until he presents an explanation, exception, or example which proves otherwise, his stance is defeated.
SonicNinja

Pro

SonicNinja forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

I will extend my previous arguments to this round. I urge my opponent to return for summations.
SonicNinja

Pro

SonicNinja forfeited this round.
Maikuru

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent has chosen not to return for the last two rounds of our debate. My arguments, which both detail the superiority of my ability and dismantle Pro's case, stand uncontested. The resolution has been negated.

Thanks for reading!

~ Maikuru (Con)
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
I already have. His opponent kind of ignored it, though, which is a bummer.
Posted by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
tvellalott uses power negation to interesting effect in his current UTW. Check it out in between your own =D
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
True. Negating other powers could be negative if you and your league of superhero buddies are the only ones with superpowers.
Posted by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
Assuming that power neutralization was passive, all-encompassing, and instantaneous, I'm inclined to agree. If, however, it was something you had to activate or requiring focus, I'd stick with time control.

I actually wasn't intending on focusing on fighting in this debate. Time control has numerous benefits outside of battle that are difficult to match.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
Dang forfeits.

In battle, as the scenario seems to suggest, I think the strongest super power would be the power to neutralize other super powers. As people with super powers become used to their powers, and rely on those powers, you'd be able to even the playing field, and they'd be unprepared for a non-power fight. The even playing field would actually lean in your favor.
Posted by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
Oh, boy. I've got to read this.
Posted by SonicNinja 6 years ago
SonicNinja
im not a BLEACH fan, but i do enjoy anime and whatnot that have powes such as this.
im a logical person,a dn this is something that follows logic.
though i will say this: many anime > bleach.
that is all
Posted by Maikuru 6 years ago
Maikuru
I am a big comic fan and always enjoy a good power debate. Thanks for the opportunity, SonicNinja!
Posted by Cobo 6 years ago
Cobo
typical BLEACH fan
Vote Placed by BillBonJovi 6 years ago
BillBonJovi
SonicNinjaMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con used better sources, as well as make better arguments and pro's forfeiting is bad conduct
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
SonicNinjaMaikuruTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 6 years ago
wjmelements
SonicNinjaMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits, proper capitalization, the actual use of sources, and CON's dominance grant CON all seven points.
Vote Placed by mongeese 6 years ago
mongeese
SonicNinjaMaikuruTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: Pro forfeited. Spelling/Grammar: Pro tended to ignore capitalization and punctuation. Convincing Arguments: Con summarized things fairly well in Round 2, and Pro never responded. Sources: Con used three. Pro used zero.