niftyjanet
I-am-a-panda

Abolish Social Security

niftyjanet

Pro

Unpromising, chaotic, and fraud. Social security fits this description exactly; therefore social security must be abolished.

I take an affirmative stance to abolish Social security for the following contentions;

Contention 1; Social security has no prospect for America,
Contention 2; America now and in the future will not be able to sustain the needs of the Social security system, and
Contention 3; Individual workers should be able to invest their own retirement money.

Under Social Security, lower and middle class individuals are forced to pay a significant portion of their income, approximately 12 percent for the alleged purpose of securing their retirement. That money is not saved or invested, but transferred directly to the program's current beneficiaries with the "promise" that when current taxpayers get old, the income of future taxpayers will be transferred to them. Since this scheme creates no wealth, any benefits one person receives in excess of his payments necessarily come at the expense of others. Under Social Security, whether an individual gets twice as much from others as was taken from them, or half as much, or nothing at all, is entirely at the discretion of politicians. They cannot count on Social Security for anything-except a massive drain on his income. Therefore, there is absolutely no way that the system can even guarantee future retirees the equal amount that they had previously contributed to Social security, making this system inequitable.

Fixing the Social security system is essentially impossible. The government has increased the payroll tax 17 times since 1935 yet, the system is still crippling. Proving my point further, that Social security should be abolished immediately.

In 2002, there were 186 million workers in America and 190 million retired people. This was the beginning of the end of the Social security system. The workforce can no longer acquire the money necessary to give to the retirement population. The evidence continues to mount. According to newyorktimes.com, by 2010, while 41 million new workers enter the workforce, a staggering 76 million workers will enter retirement. This is an unfathomable amount and impossible for the social security system to reach a solution for how these retired people are going to get money.

How much, when, and in what form one should provide for retirement is highly individual-and is properly left to the individual's free judgment and action. Social Security deprives the individual of this freedom, and thus makes them less able to plan for the future, less able to provide for their retirements, less able to enjoy their most vital years, and less able to invest in themselves.

If Social Security did not exist, individual workers could be free to use that 12 percent of their income as they choose making their ability to better their future incomparably greater. They could save for their retirement with a diversified, long-term, productive investment in stocks or bonds. Or they could reasonably choose not to devote all 12 percent to retirement. They might choose to work far past the age of 65 or choose to invest in their own productivity through additional education or starting a business. So the future of this individual's life is up to no one but themselves. This would encourage many Americans to work to earn money for a better future.
To conclude my remarks, I urge my fellow debators to vote in affirmation.
I-am-a-panda

Con

Due to the fact my opponent's account has been closed, this debate is null. I please ask you not to vote.
niftyjanet

Pro

niftyjanet forfeited this round.
I-am-a-panda

Con

niftyjanet

Pro

niftyjanet forfeited this round.
I-am-a-panda

Con

Posted by DiablosChaosBroker 7 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
Posted by ournamestoolong 7 years ago
ournamestoolong
Really don't vote
Vote Placed by Spatz 7 years ago
Spatz
niftyjanetI-am-a-pandaTied
Vote Placed by DiablosChaosBroker 7 years ago
DiablosChaosBroker
niftyjanetI-am-a-pandaTied