Debate.orgusername1
Hamza_mazin

Abolish all holidays

Debate.orgusername1 has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Debate.orgusername1

Pro

I am for abolishing all holidays as not to shove falsehoods down the throats of innocent people and encourage make-believe garbage amongst youngsters, to move on from the old ways that hold us back and move on to the future. Let people develop there own paradigms . This constant flow of the same holidays that play over and over every year like a broken record makes life stale and relentlessly unbearable. We must abort the holidays.
Hamza_mazin

Con

My opponent has based his argument for abolishing holidays on two things:
1- They force make-beliefs and falsehoods upon people.
2- They make life life stale and unbearable.
My response to the first one is that holidays over time have lost their connections to religion and their origins and now they became like festivals that have specific dates and fun traditions (clothes and parties etc.) like any festival around the world . Had not these holidays did not exist people would have created other special days with arbitrary dates to celebrate on and it would have been the same.
As for the second point I believe people find holidays fun and exciting rather than boring and stale. They are actually the days in the year where people (religious and not) break their routine and engage in entertaining social gatherings.
Debate.orgusername1

Pro

Well for instance , as an example,I am not into holiday like I said it is like a broken record playing over and over every year. I do have a great life and incredible lifestyle activities that are extremely healthy and fun and I am able to take part in this stuff almost every day of the year which makes well over 300 days of the year very enjoyable ,satisfying and equally important.I get so much out of everyday life that I cherish the most normal days and the way people act around the holidays creeps me out and a lot of people weather they admit it or not have a lot of difficulties and much more negative stress than normal with the holidays,its a fact. Then there is all the unhealthy eating and indulgence that is encouraged with the holidays, In the U.S. it is just a reason for people to indulge even more than the ridiculous amount they already do.
Hamza_mazin

Con

I think evrything goes to personal preferances and since participating in holiday traditions has never been obligatory these preferances can be reflected by the amount of people participating and enjoying which is the majority, we can not tell the people that they do not enjoy the holidays and thus we are canceling them!
Also some people are too busy throughout the year for social connection, or do not find an opportunity to show their appreciation (by exchanging gifts for example). Moreover, the holidays are good opportunities to help the unfortunates and to givaway stuff.
As for the bad habbits (ex. unhealthy food), it is an extention of the bad habbits of people in the US throughout the year, while other countries that eat healthy for example the whole year will not have this problem during the holidays, so we should focus on solving the main problem instead of covering it. It will be like banning TV because people will waste their time, act lazy and consume junk food during whatching it, or banning sport events because people will get drunk and engage in violent acts.
Posted by NDECD1441 1 year ago
NDECD1441
I dont get pro...
Posted by BJanders96 1 year ago
BJanders96
You can ignore them if you want, but just because you have an opinion doesn't mean other people should be refused the opportunity to uphold and observe their religious celebrations. I also assume you're either anti-religion or are neutral. Not a rude comment, just an observation...