elizabeth9
jamesNYY

Abolish the Debt Ceiling

Started: 1/6/2014 Category: Economics

elizabeth9

Pro

I will be arguing to abolish the debt ceiling mainly because the "United States doesn't need and shouldn't have a debt ceiling" (quote from James Surowiecki). I will support my stance through hard facts over the next 3 rounds. The first round is for opening statements please and the actual debating will begin with round 2.
jamesNYY

Con

Americans have had to endure Congress deciding that it shouldn't have to pay the bills that it has racked up. Businesses and families must always pay their bills or suffer penalties. If ordinary citizens are held to that standard than why isn't congress?
elizabeth9

Pro

My first contention is that America doesn't need a debt ceiling. Let me first explain what the debt ceiling is; it is a current law that tells Congress the maximum amount of money they can be in debt (for example if the ceiling was 1 trillion dollars, after the US has 1 trillion dollars worth of debt the President could not lawfully pass any more spending bills). Currently we are the only democratic country, besides Denmark, to have a debt ceiling. Congress already has control over the country's deficits by setting tax and spending levels, so why do we need a ceiling that only has dire concerns? In 2010, the Congressional Budget Office explained that having a debt ceiling was basically useless they were quoted: "By itself, setting a limit on the debt is an ineffective means of controlling deficits because the decisions that necessitate borrowing are made through other legislative actions. By the time an increase in the debt ceiling comes up for approval, it is too late to avoid paying the government"s pending bills without incurring serious negative consequences". My first argument has concluded. I apologize to my opponent for my late response and wish them the best of luck.
jamesNYY

Con

jamesNYY forfeited this round.
elizabeth9

Pro

elizabeth9 forfeited this round.
jamesNYY

Con

jamesNYY forfeited this round.
elizabeth9

Pro

elizabeth9 forfeited this round.
jamesNYY

Con

jamesNYY forfeited this round.