samanthafalk
itslizyall

Abortion Being Allowed In The US

itslizyall
Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

samanthafalk

Con

Abortion is a big issue in the US, and it is suddenly getting popular. There are many disadvantages. The side affects are even crucial for the mother that was once bearing a child. Second, it would be killing, and if it was with 2 actual people, that would be a felony and prison time. Third, the memory would be horrible to live with, unless killing is a passion. And lastly, there are other options. There is also adoption and many other things that are much better than having an abortion.
itslizyall

Pro

Abortion is not suddenly getting popular. From 2000 to 2009, abortion actually dropped 8% and it is continuing to drop today.
  • The way to lower the abortion rate actually is not making abortion illegal. "The World Health Organization defines unsafe abortion as a procedure for terminating a pregnancy that is performed by an individual lacking the necessary skills, or in an environment that does not conform to minimal medical standards, or both." Essentially this is what happens with illegal or "backstreet" abortions. This, of course, is not as much of a problem for the United States. It is mainly a trend we see becoming a major issue in countries where abortion is illegal. So if the United States were to make abortion illegal, women would resort to backstreet abortions.
Pregnancy is more dangerous than abortion. Reuters health notes that women are actually 14 times more likely to die giving birth than they are to die due to complications in an abortion. It has been concluded that today both abortion and giving birth are relatively safe procedures, but with this evidence, it is obvious that pregnancy is more dangerous, proving my opponent wrong.

Abortion is not "killing." A fetus and a baby are two very different things. Many doctors agree that "Fetuses are uniquely different from born human beings in major ways, which casts doubt on the claim that they can be classified as human beings. The most fundamental difference is that a fetus is totally dependent on a woman's body to survive." My opponent talked about how it doesn't make sense to consider killing a felony, and to keep abortion legal. Through this evidence, we can see why. Abortion is fundamentally different from murder because with abortion, you are eliminating a blob of cells with the potential to become a child. With murder, you are ending an actual life.

Many women do not regret their abortions. "Research indicates that relief is the most common emotional response following abortion, and that psychological distress appears to be greatest before, rather than after, an abortion." Of course, there will be women who regret their abortions. I concede to that point, but making something illegal simply because citizens will regret doing it is unreasonable.

Abortion is the best option in many circumstances. Often times, if a child is put up for adoption, it will end up being put in a crappy foster system with parents who will treat it badly. Also, we have to look to not just the well being of this "potential child" but the well being of the mother. Many mothers, as shown by the research in my previous point, have a more positive emotional response after their abortions. Women are 14 times more likely to die during pregnancy, showing that pregnancy is more risky. These points prove that abortion is a valid option.

For these reasons and more, I am pro-choice.
samanthafalk

Con

"Abortion is not suddenly getting popular." Yes the abortion rate has dropped a bit, but abortion event is still happening. "Pregnancy is more dangerous than abortion." Abortions may be dangerous, but that doesn't meant that you will be perfect with no injuries, no side affects and everything is perfect. Dream on. "Abortion is not "killing." "There are many things that happen when an abortion occurs that are more dangerous than having a baby. "Many women do not regret their abortions." Abortions may be liked, but that doesn't mean that every single person loves killing their was going to be child. "Abortion is the best option in many circumstances." Not all kids are put in a bad home. If the parents actually cared, they would go to the agency and pick the right people to take care of the kid.
itslizyall

Pro

Popularity Argument. My opponent attacks my argument that discusses the abortion rate dropping by saying that abortion is still happening. The mistake in this argument is that my opponent does not actually state why abortions are actually bad. Also, my opponent does not address my argument that talks about how the way to lower the abortion rate is not making abortion illegal. The most effective way to actually lower the abortion rate is too provide teens/adults with contraception and teach them how to use it. That will result in less unplanned pregnancies and less abortions.

Danger Argument. I am not claiming that abortion is a completely safe procedure. Things can go wrong. However, with abortion legal things are less likely to go wrong because abortions will take place in a safe and controlled setting. Also, my opponent completely drops my evidence that shows that women are 14 times more likely to die due to pregnancy in comparison to abortion.

Killing Argument. I would like to extend my evidence witch talks about how a fetus actually is not a baby. This is very important in the debate and my opponent did not address this argument at all. If a fetus is not an actually child, then this shows that abortion is morally permissible. My opponent does note that there are many things that happen when an abortion occurs that are more dangerous than a pregnancy. As a reader, you can't look to this argument because there is no evidence to back up this claim. Also, women choose to have an abortion. When they make that choice, they will be aware of the risks of the procedure.

Regret Argument. My opponent talks about how many women do not want to kill their "would to be" child. This is true. However, if a woman has a pro-life stand point, she can simply make the choice to not get an abortion. Being forced into an abortion is extremely rare. If a women regrets her decision, there are many support groups/counselors for that type of thing.

Is abortion the best option? The honest answer to this question is not always. The point I am trying to prove is that it can be. Most parents who get an abortion really do not want to have to care for their child. I would agree that not all kids get put in a bad home, but many do. I am in no way advocating for abortion in every circumstance. I am advocating for the mother to have the right to choose what to do with the fetus she is harboring insider her body.

samanthafalk

Con

The following is a list of side effects that are frequently experienced after an abortion. It is possible to experience these side effects for as long as 2 to 4 weeks following the procedure.

Abdominal pain and cramping
Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Spotting and Bleeding
http://americanpregnancy.org...

Yes there maybe advantages to abortions, but who would want all these side affects afterwards?

If this had different regulations, I think that the mother should be charged a warrant because it is killing.

"Most parents who get an abortion really do not want to have to care for their child"
That is most that does not mean all parents hate their child.
itslizyall

Pro

Danger Argument. I went on the website my opponent listed and I saw that some pregnancy complications were listed. All of the side affects my opponent listed for abortions are things that may happen when a woman is pregnant. The list of complications is actually very long. I completely agree that abortions have their risks, but they will become riskier if they are made illegal. It is not as if women are completely oblivious to the side effects of the abortion going in. My opponent fails to look to the fact that a woman is 14 times more likely to die labor than in an abortion. If we make abortion illegal because it is dangerous, it essentially becomes more dangerous because backstreet abortions are unsafe.

Killing Argument. Unless my opponent provides evidence that proves that a fetus is a legitimate child, the killing argument cannot be looked to. Fetuses cannot survive outside the womb until they are well developed. Since the fetus is merely a blob of cells with the potential to become a child, eliminating it is not the same as killing. It would be unreasonable to charge the mother with killing.

Is abortion the best option? My opponent noted for this point that not all parents hate their child. Firstly, a women getting an abortion generally doesn't hate their potential child. They just see it as beneficial for them to eliminate the fetus because they are unable to take care of it or because they do not want to endure the process of pregnancy/labor.

Also look to the arguments that were not addressed by my opponent: How abortion isn't increasingly popular, and How not al women regret their abortions.
samanthafalk

Con

over 56 million people were lost because of abortion.

A fetus is an unborn child. This still would count as killing.

https://answers.yahoo.com...

http://www.tfpstudentaction.org...
itslizyall

Pro

Danger Argument. Given that pregnancy results in 14 times more deaths than abortions, I will use this statistic against my opponent. If 56 million people are lost every year due to abortion, 784 million people die every year from pregnancy. This argument is not really relevant though, considering that women know the risks of an abortion going in to the abortion.

Killing Argument. I generally don't attack sources, but Yahoo Answers really is not a reliable source. Like I said in the first round, many doctors agree that "Fetuses are uniquely different from born human beings in major ways which casts doubt on the claim that they can be classified as human beings. The most fundamental difference is that a fetus is totally dependant on a woman's body to survive. A fetus simply cannot be considered a human being because it cannot survive outside the womb. Women should have the right to choose what to do with a fetus inside their body.
samanthafalk

Con

My opponent has described many facts stating the negativity of abortions. Yes there may be more deaths with actually having a baby than not, but abortion still isn't right. It's taking away s fetus that could have been another human being. Plus, abortions are still dangerous.
itslizyall

Pro

Attacking my opponent's final arguments:

"My opponent has described many facts stating the negativity of abortions."
I never legitimately gave evidence that stated the risks of abortions. My opponent did that. I would completely agree with the fact that abortion is a risky procedure, but pregnancy is 14 times riskier. When women get past the period where the morning after pill is a viable solution, they are faced two choices: termination of the pregnancy or pregnancy. If a women does not want to give birth to a child and feels it would be best for the to terminate the pregnancy, it is illogical for them to choose to have a child.

"Yes, there may be more deaths with actually having a baby than not, but abortion still isn't right. It's taking away a fetus that could have been a human being."
Here my opponent conceded that pregnancy is more dangerous. This makes the danger argument completely invalid on my opponents side because women (as I said earlier) only have two options, and abortion is less dangerous. My opponent also concedes that fetus is not a human being. The key word they use here is could have been. This means that abortion cannot be considered unethical because it is not a human being when it is eliminated.

My own final arguments:

• Solvency- My opponent never addresses my argument of backstreet abortions. In the United States today, there is not an excessive amount of illegal abortions that take place because abortion is not illegal. Still, they are happening, and about 200 to 250 women die every year. "Estimates of the annual number of illegal abortions in the United States during the 1950s and 1960s range from 200,000 to 1.2 million. Prior to Roe v. Wade, as many as 5,000 American women died annually as a direct result of unsafe abortions. Today, abortion is one of the most commonly performed clinical procedures in the United States, and the death rate from abortion is extremely low: 0.6 per 100,000 procedures." -ourbodiestoourselves.org The point proven by this evidence is that currently, in states with restrictive abortion laws, women still die from illegal abortions. In the past, when abortion was illegal around 5,000 women died every year from such abortions. If America goes back and makes the abortions illegal, the abortion rate will go down, but abortions will still take place. These abortions will be increasingly dangerous and more deaths will occur. This brings me to my the point on solvency. My opponent is not solving for the one argument they continually brought up. They are not solving for the danger aspect of abortions. Oklahoma is a state with one of the most restrictive abortion laws; they also have one of the highest abortion rates. In contrast, Oregon is a state with one of the least restrictive abortion laws; they have one of the lowest abortion rates. (The reason for this is because along with strict abortion laws comes restrictive contraception laws and bad sex education for children; that's a whole other argument that I wont get into).

• Morality- One of the major points made in the round is whether or not abortion is morally permissible. If a fetus could indeed be considered a child, then abortion could be considered ethically wrong. My opponent provided no legitimate evidence to prove that a fetus is a baby. A fetus cannot survive outside it's mother's body. It is simply a developing blob of cells. It's elimination can save the mother a large amount of stress and pain. I would agree that abortion is not right for everyone, and if a mother feels that abortion is wrong, they can simply choose to not get one. However, just because some mothers would prefer not to abort a child, doesn't mean it should be illegal in the United States.

• Regret- This is a very important argument that was dropped by my opponent. I provided evidence that showed "Research indicates that relief is the most common emotional response following abortion, and that psychological distress appears to be greatest before, rather than after, an abortion." This shows that abortion is not a widely regretted procedure. There are some women who regret their abortions. There are always counseling oppurtunities for such women. Prenancy has similar effecst such a postpartum depression, showing that the regret level of pregnancy and abortion is relatively the same, if not higher, for pregnancies.

For these reasons, I urge a pro vote.
Thank you to samathafalk for a great debate!
Posted by Charliemouse 3 years ago
Charliemouse
if you have an abortion, you are a murderer and a worthless scum who doesn't deserve to ever have lives. and that baby which you killed has done greater things than you will ever accomplish simply by existing because everything you are worth is suddenly nothing because of that abortion. trash, scum is all you are.

secondly, abortion is not only allowed but encouraged which is sad. that's actually what i wanted to say in the first place but got carried away.... so yeah
Vote Placed by Comrade_Silly_Otter 3 years ago
Comrade_Silly_Otter
samanthafalkitslizyall
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Going Pro for Better Conduct. Pro threw a lot at Cons Arguments as well
Vote Placed by NiamC 3 years ago
NiamC
samanthafalkitslizyall
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Con showed some form of a rebuttal, Pro did not. Nevertheless, this was equalised by Pro having a more structured and detailed argument and had addressed a range of topics. A very good debate
Vote Placed by LenaQueen 3 years ago
LenaQueen
samanthafalkitslizyall
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: Con had only two arguements that were rebutted yet she stuck to them. She used an unreliable source, and was unable to refute any of Pro's arguements.