alpineseven
Miserlou

Abortion (Fliped)

alpineseven

Pro

Personally I am against Abortion but to learn more about it I am taking the side of pro-Choice. Here is my challenge: Would someone Pro-choice debate me as pro-life??? May sound crazy but maybe we can both learn a little more about the topic. Since I have not given any stance on it we can just debate the last two rounds. In the first round just tell a little about what you think about this debate then we can debate the last two rounds! Thanks and have fun!!!
Miserlou

Con

Sure, this sounds fun! I'll try to play this as straight-faced as possible, but forgive me if my arguments get ridiculous, as they sometimes do when I'm arguing something I don't agree with. I'm pro-choice, but I think pro-lifers have a one or two good points. Great concept anyway. Shall we start?
alpineseven

Pro

Thanks for taking the challenge Miserlou :-) we should all be a little open minded right? Here we go...

Abortion was legal in the beginning, It was common and thought to be acceptable. The real reason abortion was made illegal was because of health reasons for the Mother. It was common among Native Americans and common in colonial times but in the 1800s laws were passed to stop the procedure. The middle of the 20th century safer cleaner and more advanced procedures came about and in 1973 Roe v. Wade overturned all abortion laws in the United States. Abortion is Natural as the body itself, aborts up to 20 percent of all pregnancies. Obviously in many cases a healthy mother's life could be in danger and many times this comes with a high chance of loosing the baby also. In these cases it is only logical to abort the baby for the sake of the healthy mother.
Miserlou

Con

This is fun! Anyway...

Just because something has been done doesn't make it right. Slavery has existed since Ancient Egypt, but I don't think anyone can get behind that. Looking back at history, majority rule hasn't always been the most moral one.

A mother's health is important of course, but so is the baby's. And today with advanced medicine and technology, it is easier to ensure a mother's health. And on that note, it is simpler to have a baby today than it was a hundred years ago; not only because of technology but because of cultural trends which make premarital sex and the like more acceptable (and a lot of women have and have had abortions out of fear of the social consequences).

A fetus is a baby, which is a person, and we have no right to pick and choose what children we want. Contraception can prevent the problem altogether, and adoption is always a solution for people who can't take care of the child.
alpineseven

Pro

Most of your arguments here are oversimplification. And rarely do they even explain why Abortion is wrong. You also have no proof that a fetus is a baby. As humans we have know way of knowing much less proving that a fetus is a child. At the earliest stages when almost all abortions are performed the fetus doesn't even have a heart beat and is smaller than a quarter with almost no characteristics of a child. Though I will agree that the fetus is living and is alive, it has no rights of a developed and born human being. It relies soly on the mother and without her cannot live even a few seconds. If you look up the word person in Webster's Dictionary you will find this... "pertaining to, characteristic of, or having the nature of people with the social aspect of people" A baby has none of the nature or social aspect of any person. That is why, Thought it is alive, it is not a human or person. That being said abortion cannot be counted as murder because, looking again at Webster's we find murder to mean... the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. That being said we have already determined that a fetus is not a human being because it has no aspects of humans and cannot live without the mother.

Finally no one wants to be born into a family that doesn't want it, It would be a miserable life. That is why it is best in some cases to have an abortion.
Abortion Should be legal, it is now healthy for the mother and does not involve murder in any way.
Miserlou

Con

Webster's isn't my prime source for moral guidance. A fetus is characteristic of being a human because it will become one. It is alive, and the life will continue until a grown and very human organism dies; unless of course, it's aborted. And as for murder being killing "under the conditions specified by law", again, dictionary definitions don't mean anything. Laws can change, but murder is always murder.

And I'm not saying that people have to keep children if they don't want them, they can give them up for adoption. And people who already have the means to raise a kid might find they want a child, even if it's unexpected.
Posted by TeaandScarves 9 years ago
TeaandScarves
Bravo to both of you! This flipped debate was well stated on each and for that I don't really want to vote unfortunately... To a certain extent, I do have to agree with you Gato simply because I think the REAL question in an abortion debate is "when does life begin". Pro-life people believe it begins at conception while pro-choice people do not. I think a definitive answer could make this issue progress in the courts.
Posted by Gato 9 years ago
Gato
The flipped debate only works when both arguments are equal in merit. For me, the topic of abortion isn't, because quite simply the pro-life argument is heavily based in religion.

I know the abortion debate still rages on in the United States and has quite a high profile due to it's high percentage of Christian evangalical types (which make up most of the pro-life contingent from what I've seen and heard). But in most of the rest of the Developed World the debate is almost non-existent and is only carried forward by fringe religious groups which only get publicity now and then.

Abortion is simply a modern convenience that most have accepted whether they agree with it or not.
Posted by Yrael 9 years ago
Yrael
Cool cool, I am writing a paper right now so it will be just a little bit. Probably a couple hours, but I will send you an invite to debate it with me. Unless you would prefer to start the debate? In which case I would prefer 2-3 rounds at max.
Posted by alpineseven 9 years ago
alpineseven
haha i feel ya miserlou thanks again! Yrael ill take any challenge though im a rookie!
Posted by Yrael 9 years ago
Yrael
Alpine I thought you did the best idea of pulling your points across and I felt they went un-refuted often enough for me to vote for you. I also like this idea, I would be interested in debating you the same topic alpine, As I am a pro-choice.
Posted by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
I wonder how people are gonna vote on this one? That was fun, Alpine. I was racking my brain for arguments there a couple of times, but it was a great exercise
Posted by policydebategod 9 years ago
policydebategod
This is a good idea you guys. This should be a type of debate topic. A flipped debate so people can learn.
Posted by alpineseven 9 years ago
alpineseven
This has been harder than I thought it would be! When I look at articles and positions i forget sometimes they are pro choice! I have to keep telling myself "Look at these like you are pro choice!"
Posted by alpineseven 9 years ago
alpineseven
A good debator could do this i think. You should challenge me to a debate about pro-lifers tho! Make fun all you want, it would be a funny but productive debate!!!
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
I don't think I could do it without being/sounding completely satirical and sarcastic in every way...I would end up making fun of pro-life.
Vote Placed by pcmbrown 8 years ago
pcmbrown
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by cinderella1992 9 years ago
cinderella1992
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by Pricetag 9 years ago
Pricetag
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by zakkuchan 9 years ago
zakkuchan
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by ajgenerally 9 years ago
ajgenerally
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by solo 9 years ago
solo
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by astrohawk13 9 years ago
astrohawk13
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by Miserlou 9 years ago
Miserlou
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by goldspurs 9 years ago
goldspurs
alpinesevenMiserlouTied
Vote Placed by Rousseau 9 years ago
Rousseau
alpinesevenMiserlouTied