Liberalmoderate14
DestroyingAngel

Abortion (I'm Against)

DestroyingAngel

Liberalmoderate14

Con

I'll allow my opponent to make his/her argument on why they think abortion is right. Then I'll respond to them accordingly.
DestroyingAngel

Pro

Hello, I am for abortion.

Personally, I don't think people (especially women) should be restricted as to what they can or cannot do. They should be able to decide whether they want to keep a child or not. Of course, I do agree that it can get ridiculous (e.g. prostitutes repeatedly having abortions so that they can continue working) - however, it is the woman's body and she should decide, it is for no one else except for herself.

And yes, people argue that you are "taking away a life" but, the fact is, who are we to decide that? Many scientists argue that the growing child is still a foetus and so shouldn't be counted as "manslaughter" until a certain period of time.
And also, in many court proceedings concerning abortions, why is the mother never allowed to decide whether to keep her child or not? Why should her husband say anything or, as a matter of fact, a judge who doesn't even know her?

So I am for abortion, but that doesn't mean I am for killings, all I am saying is that it is no-one's place to reprimand someone for having abortions, the only opinion that matters is that of the one who is carrying the child.
Liberalmoderate14

Con

A fetus is a separate cell from the mother, so its not a part of the mothers body, regardless of the babies need for her womb. And at fertilization, is a living thing. The baby has no say in the matter, for one thing, and for another, The Declaration of Independence clearly states that all men are created equal, and are endowed LIFE, LIBERTY, and the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS. By aborting a fetus, we are denying it those basic rights every American citizen has, so how is a fetus not a U.S. citizen? The fetus grows into a living human baby and eventually into an adult, a state of life that takes place each and everyday of its life.
DestroyingAngel

Pro

Yes, I agree however...abortion is a basic part of a woman's pregnancy rights whether she wants the baby or not.
And if women don't have abortion rights, then we impact just how much freedom women as a gender, have - so it is vital for gender equality.
Also, by saying abortion is illegal is basically removing all rights from their own bodies. It just seems unfair that everyone else hould have to decide whether a woman should keep a baby.
Also, what would happen to the population if abortion was illegal? Surely the population would continue to increase dramatically!
People keep saying well doesn't the foetus have rights...but the same could be said for the mother: doesn't she have rights?
Liberalmoderate14

Con

I'm not saying I'm against equal rights, in fact, I'm up for it. But, however, I believe abortion is wrong, so its your opinion if that has to do with women's rights. I don't think it does. Here's why. It's not just the mother's opinion that counts. The baby has rights too, you know. And since they have no voice, how is aborting them without any say fair? And, if you don't want the child, at least adopt it. This would be a healthier, happier option for both the mother and the child. If possible, take care of it yourself if you can. Children don't deserve to be aborted without any say or have their rights denied that U.S. citizens have, as I had stated with The Declaration of Independence before. Their living in America like the rest of us.
DestroyingAngel

Pro

Yes, I understand that the foetus itself can't make any decisions.
But imagine, a world where abortion wouldn't exist...so would a woman who got pregant via rape have to keep her child? And if not, why then deny other women these rights? Because she was raped? So...now, the system would have to make benefits for abortion (e.g. a hierarchy) ...so people who were impregnated forcefully can abort but other people can't? Who deserves to have abortion etc...
Also women who have been raped would not want to be reminded of this horrible experience by keeping the rapist's baby.
Also, the whole reason for abortions, is its done in the first trimester...when the foetus does not exist independantly from its mother, and so the concept of being human cannot come into play. Define "human" it comes with the definition that we have the attributes as people (i.e. being able to think, feel pain) but the foetus cannot do any of these things and so is not considered human but just the cells that will THEN go on to form a human...and so by having abortion in the first trimester, is not considered manslaughter. And so, one could say that personhood doesn't begin at conception, but at birth.
Also, when implanting cells, when you have the egg cells implanted in you and there are extra cells not implanted (which are then thrown away), is that not considered murder?

Also, if women were to keep children...what would happen if they had neither the means nor the money, then consider abortion an alternative to a horrible lifestyle, and should not come into the world unwanted.
Not to mention the fact that contraceptives may not be readily available and that by banning abortion, will create illegal back-alley abortions which endangers the life of the mother. (Technically you'd be reducing the female population) and again, is a completely safe and useful tool for controlling the population.

And I wanted to ask another important question concerning this...does that mean (women and men) need to control our sexual desires in order to avoid getting pregnant, if abortion was illegal? But then surely this would affect us as a species because as humans we need to fulfill these desires, and also this could indeed increase the likelihood of rape. If women wouldn't want children and we can control these desires and lets face it...men have A LOT more desires going though their head, than they'd rather say...
So if it were illegal...would we have to turn our backs on these women and say "well it's your fault for getting pregnant..." that doesn't seem fair to me at all. The basis of having sex is completely normal in society, whether one would want an abortion is entirely up to them.
Liberalmoderate14

Con

You just helped me prove my point. If you got raped or whatever, then if you can possibly take care of the child, do so. If not, the adopt them out. Anything is better than having to resort to unethical and unfair killing of a fetus. It's not the fetus fault that you got raped, or pregnant, or anything else for that matter. Also, the fetus is the start of a humans life, so although it cannot feel pain, it is still being unfairly killed. If you cant afford it, or they might be better off somewhere else, adopt them out. If you CAN afford it, and they'd have a good home life with you, then take care of it. The child deserves to live, remember The Declaration of Independence? It doesn't matter what the situation is, abortion is simply unethical. In fact, some abortions can actually have a negative impact on the mother's health. Women who go through abortion have an 30% higher chance of getting Breast Cancer. Rectal Cancer is also possible after an abortion. And, Abortions can effect future pregnancies. Abortion plain and simple is not good for 1. The innocent child that has no say and should not be denied it's rights in the decision-making, 2. It negatively impacts women's health afterwards and 3. Why kill a innocent child when you can allow it to live, whether you raise it yourself, or adopt it where they'll be better off. Finally 4. If you think our population is increasing then maybe we should have less kids so we wouldn't have to resort to aborting but still keep our species going. This is more ethical than killing off human life.
DestroyingAngel

Pro

But as I said before, it is not human yet, and cannot be considered man slaughter! Also, enough with the Declaration Of Independance - it does say other things that the Four Fathers declared!!! Such as man's independance...so why can't women have this same freedom? It becomes a whole different issue in terms of abortion and suddenly it is the State's point of view or the family's point of view (although, they have a right)
I have said this a few times, and I will say this again - I don't think people have the right to decide, it is only for the mother, whether she wants a baby or not, and if she doesn't, she shouldn't be regarded as a murderer for this. A thousand cells in our body day a minute, so are we murderers? What is the difference...the fact that abortion is done in the first trimester is because THEY ARE STILL CELLS AND THEY HAVEN'T FORMED YET. Women have pregnancy rights, and therefore has the right to decide whether she wants the foetus. Notice, I say foetus...it can be ethical even though my opponent argues that we are "destroying life for the future because of their right to live" even though an abortion can prevent the foetus from having an even worse future, and so generally it is for the foetus - and as the foetus is not yet a living body of its own, should not be considered unethical because they are still cells.
Also, if someone gets pregnant at a young age (late teens to early adulthood) going through with pregnancy would be even more physically and mentally exhausting than having the abortion.
So, even though my arguement may not be as strong...I still believe that abortion, if necessary, should be a legal procedure. Especially in terms of politics as men don't go through with pregnancy and by making it illegal, further reduces women's rights.
I am not trying to sound "feminist" but, abortion shouldn't be considered a sin or something - women shouldn't have to be so unfairly judged for having this procedure.
Sex is also a natural part of life, to give your consent to that should not be judged, like your opinion to have an abortion should not be judged either. Personally, I feel we are lucky to have it in this country, than in other countries where it is illegal and girls are forced to fulfill the sexual desires of their much older husbands and give birth at barely 14.
Thank you for listening to my arguement and to my competitor - may the best man (or woman) win!
Posted by bishop7 3 years ago
bishop7
While I think I understand the fundamental stance you're taking, the phrasing makes it difficult to get fully involved here. I don't think anyone is for "abortion" - the argument that is the most fully rounded is whether you're for the freedom of choice or believe that the government should actually step in and prevent an individual from having an abortion based on idealogical differences in doing so.
Vote Placed by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
Liberalmoderate14DestroyingAngelTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pretty easy debate to judge. Con has the burden of proof as abortion in the U.S. is currently legal. Con argues that the fetus is a life and should be viewed as a person, but he basically just asserts it. Pro is correct that there isn't a consensus in the scientific community about when life begins. This renders Cons arguments about fundamental rights moot, as if I have no reason to believe that the unborn should be considered people, there's no reason to afford them rights either.