london2012
Itsallovernow

Abortion Is A Choice Not A Right

london2012

Pro

Abortion is a personal choice and should not be limited by any person or any government. It is the personal choice of the mother; it's not a decision for anyone else to decide. Sometimes abortions are medically needed. There are many women who are not able to give birth to a child in a healthy or safe way and those certain kinds of situations may call for aborting the pregnancy. Laws against abortion also violate a woman's right to choice and right to privacy. Only the woman who is pregnant knows whether or not she is able enough to have and properly care for the child. Illegal abortion forces women who want to abide by the law to have a child even if they are not capable of doing so. No government can have a role in influencing a woman's decision in any way.
Itsallovernow

Con

I thank my opponent, in advance, for what I am certain is to be an interesting and well-fought debate. Without further cordialities, allow me to begin.

I will negate the resolution: Abortion is a choice, not a right.

Contention 1: Why can't it be both?

My opponents entire defense asserts that there is no right to abortion. In his values, this may be true. However, in the legal world in which our lives are goverened, this is false. If I can successfully prove in one instance that abortion is a choice AND a right, then I should win my debate. The follow is an excerpt from my source.

Liberalization of Abortion Laws

Between 1967 and 1973 one-third of the states liberalized or repealed their criminal abortion laws. However, the right to have an abortion in all states was only made available to American women in 1973 when the Supreme Court struck down the remaining restrictive state laws with its ruling in Roe v. Wade.

In this, the US government (which is what I assume we will debate) makes it legal for us to have abortions. Rights are relative, implemented by civilization. If I was in the wild, I would abide by the laws of the wild, not by civilization. In this, we must look towards the governing entity to distinguish our rights and civil liberties (if any), which do state and exist that we reserve the right for abortions. Thus, affirming the resolution and asserting we DO have the right.

Moving on, my opponent states:

"Sometimes abortions are medically needed. There are many women who are not able to give birth to a child in a healthy or safe way and those certain kinds of situations may call for aborting the pregnancy."

Indeed if they are medically needed, it should be done. HOWEVER: In this matter, the person it reguards has no rights. The government is obligated to ensuring the lives and quality of life of it's citizens, which cannot be done successfully if that person's life is threatened by the baby, in which doctors MUST have an abortion. So it is no longer a choice. For example, if I was shot and told medical professionals I didn't want help, they would still be forced to help me.

Moving on, my opponent says:

"Laws against abortion also violate a woman's right to choice and right to privacy. Only the woman who is pregnant knows whether or not she is able enough to have and properly care for the child. Illegal abortion forces women who want to abide by the law to have a child even if they are not capable of doing so. No government can have a role in influencing a woman's decision in any way."

My opponent is PRO, which is he is for women (and "The Pregnant Man" lol!) having the right to abort. Abortion is legal, except for "illegal abortions", which I will explain. Illegal abortions are illegal, because the person doing the abortion is not usually a professional, and even so, should not "operate" on oneself. Doing so can harm yourself, and the government is obligated to ensuring your life. So, they provide abortion clincs. It's not that abortion is legal, it's just that methods in which you can hurt yourself are. (Like suicide is illegal, but once you look at it, they can't really do anything!)

As for women knowing if they can sustain a child's existance, that's true, but the government CAN determine that as well, and they have. In child custody courts, they have for example, and sir, you are wrong. Government CAN and DOES have a role in influencing a woman's decision on abortion, whether they like it or not.

SOURCE:
http://www.prochoice.org...
london2012

Pro

In my statement, i was not declaring that abortion is not a right. By stating that it is a choice makes it a right does it not?
It is true that the goverment does a play a large part in abortions and this is what makes them legal or illegal. You make very good points. However in my statement, i was merely trying to state the fact that if a woman wants to have an abortion, even if one is not medically needed, it should still be her choice. The fact that the government is trying to make all abortions illegal is wrong. It should not be up to a government or a society to decide what is right or wrong for one single person. Abortion should always remain a personal choice and that is what i mean when i say abortion is a choice not a right.

Your case was very well presented.
Well done and thank you for this debate
Itsallovernow

Con

"In my statement, i was not declaring that abortion is not a right. By stating that it is a choice makes it a right does it not?"

Well, my dear friend, the confines of this debate are held by the resolution, which states it. So no matter if you say it or not, it remains. No, it doesn't make it a right. I have the choice to go into the kitchen, take a knife, and slash my grandmother (I would never do this) into tiny pieces and eat them with the chili she made me for dinner. Just because I may choose to do this doesn't make it a right.

"However in my statement, i was merely trying to state the fact that if a woman wants to have an abortion, even if one is not medically needed, it should still be her choice."

Indeed, it is, and will be, her choice to have one. However, the government sanctions this as a right, and a choice. People can choose to do anything, but the term "Right" makes this a legal debate, and it is legal to have an abortion. This makes it BOTH choice and a right.

"The fact that the government is trying to make all abortions illegal is wrong. It should not be up to a government or a society to decide what is right or wrong for one single person."

With the first sentence, the government isn't trying to illegalize abortion (at least, not that I'm aware of), so I'm not sure where you get that point. Even if they are, that doesn't neccisarilly make it wrong if you can't prove that it is wrong. That statment is one of opinion, and holds no ground in this debate. The second sentence implies that you support anarchy. For if we did not have a government or society to decide right or wrong, I could kill my grandmother and not recieve punishment.

"Abortion should always remain a personal choice and that is what i mean when i say abortion is a choice not a right."

Abortion is a personal choice and always will be. However, it is CURRENTLY a right. Thus, this debate, in my belief, I have won.

I understand well what you mean, that the government should not inhibit the mother's desire for abortion if it is legal/illegal. However, the resolution (which you should have worded slightly better if you wanted that type of debate), states that abortion is not a right, which, as I've proven, it is.

(Thank you for the compliement, Pro, and I appreciate it. Perhaps you can challange me to the one I believe you ment: "Abortions of mother's should not be illegalized by government.")
london2012

Pro

london2012 forfeited this round.
Itsallovernow

Con

My opponent has forfieted the final and conclusive round. With no rebuttals or defenses against my points/contentions, I can only assume he accepts them.

Thusly, I strongly urge a CON vote.
Posted by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
Erm, in the second to last paragraph, I ment: "It's not that abortion is (il)legal..." Thank you and sorry for the typo!
Vote Placed by Itsallovernow 7 years ago
Itsallovernow
london2012ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by pbplk58 7 years ago
pbplk58
london2012ItsallovernowTied
Vote Placed by mds1303 7 years ago
mds1303
london2012ItsallovernowTied