landonsumrvl5
tiffany_lynn_27

Abortion Legality

tiffany_lynn_27 has forfeited round #3.

landonsumrvl5

Pro

With the rates of at-home abortions at an all-time high, I would deem it unethical to make the abortion process illegal. When an egg is fertilized and turned into a zygote, all it is, is a cell mass that is independent on the mother. A popular argument against abortion is that you are murdering an innocent child. And then an example for this, is the double-murder example. Obviously after the baby is fully developed and actually has sensory organs, this shouldn't be legal for common sense. But as we all know, mistakes happen, and there are so many variables that determine the mother's health. The variable count is too high, with way too many situations to make the entire process illegal. That is why we have trained professionals that know how to do this. Listen, nobody likes abortion. Nobody wants it to happen. But the fact of the matter is that it will happen, even if it is illegal. The process to do so may just be a little bit messier to clean up.
tiffany_lynn_27

Con

First off, I want you to show me your sources for at home abortions. Second, most mothers don't realize that their pregnant until the third week or beyond and at that point and time the baby's heart is already developed. The only difference between abortion and murder in this instance is the baby isn't breathing the same air as us. If you were to kill someone right now with a beating heart it's murder. What's the difference here?
landonsumrvl5

Pro

Evidence from womenscenter.com states that "one woman dies every 7 minutes around the world due to an unsafe illegal abortion. Women who undergo illegal abortions are those who are very poor and do not have access to family planning facilities for education and prevention of unwanted pregnancies". Illegal pregnancies are the at-home or DIY style abortions that are not accompanied by a trained professional.

Secondly, do you really think people abort their babies for no reason or probable cause? They don't get pregnant purposely just to "kill" the baby right afterwards. This is a flawed notion that abortion is an evil action done purposely.

Like I said before, in a lot of instances, like you are mentioning, abortion is not necessary, but in ways in which the pregnancy could harm the mother, in instances of rape, or incest. Furthermore, from amplifyyourvoice.org, I quote, "70,000 girls aged 15-19 die every single year of pregnancy and childbirth and the babies that do survive have a 60% higher chance of dying as well."

On top of those staggering statistics, 1 in every 3 women are raped and sexually assaulted each year. In fact, there is a growing organization called "OneInThreeWomen", that tries to bring to attention this sickening fact. If you really think that the women who non-consensually got impregnated should hold the obligation of carrying out a pregnancy, then you are criminalizing a rape victim. Shouldn't they have the choice? For nine whole months, the rape victim will have to live out the terrifying memories and relive the rape every single day only to send it out for adoption later on.

Rather than spending so much time and money on anti-abortion campaigns, don't you think we need to prioritize the 225 million unwanted children (UNICEF 2016) that are already out of the womb? You simply cannot criminalize a rape victim. If you do, then maybe you are the issue.
tiffany_lynn_27

Con

I believe it's circumstantial. Rape and incest are a completely different topics on this issue. That's one illegal thing on top of another. I just believe it should not be used as a contraception for the normal human. If you get pregnant by your significant other and you just weren't ready for it, taking a beating heart away is selfish. Birth control was created so you don't have to take a life of a young child who hasn't gotten to experience a day on this earth. You can't tell me that the 49% of the pregnancies that were unintended were all rape or incest. Only 14,000 women have abortions due to incest or rape out of the 700,000 abortions that happen a year. 1/3 of the abortions after 12 weeks are teenagers who could've prevented it.
landonsumrvl5

Pro

You are right on one part. This is a very circumstantial topic. Circumstances happen and there are different ones for every situation. So don't you think that because abortion is also very circumstantial that we shouldn't put them all in a cloud of generalizations and make it all illegal?

I also find it very interesting that you ask me for my source on ONE fact I brought up, and then here you are in the last half of your paragraph throwing different numbers, statistics, and facts. I would like a source on every single one of those things you brought up. Until then, your argument is invalid. But because this is a debate, I will still refute it.

You say that rape and incest are two totally different topics, but are they really? Do you think that a majority of incestual pregnancies are consensual? How are they different? I think that if a baby is made as a result of incest, that IS rape. In fact, from theatlantic.com as of 2013, one in three-to-four girls, and one in five-to-seven boys are sexually abused before they turn 18, an overwhelming incidence of which happens within the family. These statistics are well known among industry professionals, who are often quick to add, "and this is a notoriously underreported crime."

So before you say that incest and rape are "completely different topics", maybe you should consider how similar they really are.

Secondly, do you realize how expensive and costing abortions are? Do you think that using abortion as a contraceptive is a popular idea? Do you think that birth control doesn't do the same thing?

From goodmorals.org, "With some contraceptives there is not only a link with abortion there is an identity." Some contraceptives are abortifacients; they work by causing early term abortions." The IUD seems to prevent a fertilized egg " a new little human being " from implanting in the uterine wall." The pill does not always stop ovulation but sometimes prevents implantation of the growing embryo." And, of course, the new RU 486 pill works altogether by aborting a new fetus, a new baby."

Also, I agree that abortion in itself can be abused and used for selfish reasons, but do you think that gives the government the right to ban them all, because a few people abuse their rights? Because if that was the case, we might as well not have a speed limit, because a few people violate traffic laws. If that is the case, then we might as well not have any laws and live in an anarchist society because people can be selfish with the rights they have.
Posted by cwt002 4 months ago
cwt002
I am curious as to why the main topic in this abortion debate or at least a large portion changed to discussing rape and incest? I only ask because rape and incest only account for 1% of abortions overall. Then about 6%-8% of abortions will occur due to real and dangerous/life threatening health risks of the mother. So over 90% of abortions are primarily due to convenience (does this count as abuse of abortion). Ultimately would it not solve most of your debate by saying, "Let"s allow abortion only in instances in rape/incest and when the mother"s life is threatened"?
Posted by domfincrag 4 months ago
domfincrag
On a technical standpoint banning abortion is against international law. The UN says that being pregnant when you don't want to be pregnant is a form of torture (Which is also against international law) Hence making women unable to have an abortion is technically torturing women who don't want to be pregnant,
Posted by cwt002 4 months ago
cwt002
@landonsumrvl5 I think your stance is interesting, at fertilization there is a life independent of the mother but someone has the choice to kill it. You have to know that at least 95% of abortions are due to convenience. So, the question is at what point is the human, human enough for you? At what point do you say, you are now of value but until this point you mean nothing?

You also propose terrible policy. I agree that when abortion is illegal it will still occur just like anything else, murder, rape, theft".. When something is illegal it will always continue to occur but at the same time, it serves as a deterrent. If people willfully break a law and hurt themselves in the process, their injuries are due to their irresponsible and illegal behavior. Not implementing a law on the basis of the consequences one endures by willfully breaking that law makes no sense.