Andromeda_Z
Flipper72725

Abortion Ought to be Legal

Andromeda_Z

Andromeda_Z

Pro

This round is for acceptance only. Abortion is defined as "the willful termination of a pregnancy". Forfeiture of a round will result in the loss of the conduct point, as this wastes three days and is generally rude. Accepting this debate implies acceptance of these rules and definitions, and if you wish, you may provide definitions of your own in this round or in subsequent rounds as they become necessary. Good luck!
Flipper72725

Con

First of all 'The Instigator' I'd like to say that this is my first official debate, and that i look forward to arguing with you :) and having fun doing so (even though it is a rather morbid topic) like you said this first round is for acceptance only, so lets begin with a good hypothetical handshake.
Andromeda_Z

Pro

*shakes Con's hand*
Now, onto business.

Argument 1
Abortion ought be legal as a matter of public health. Regardless of whether abortion is legal or not, there will be those who will seek out abortions anyway. Abortions received in a clinical setting are much safer than other methods, as they are performed by and under the supervision of those in medical professions who know what they are doing and what to do in case of emergencies. Abortions performed at home, such as with coathangers or any of the various methods often used in the hopes of inducing a miscarriage (blows to the abdomen, intentionally eating foods one is meant to avoid during pregnancy, etc.), are done without this medical supervision and often in the absence of any medical knowledge by the pregnant woman. Safer abortions should be provided because it would minimize the amount of deaths and complications due to abortions.

Argument 2
Abortion ought to be legal because it is the right of the woman. If we accept the premise that a human being is the owner of their own body (which we must if we're debating laws in the first place, because why would we tell someone what they can and can't do with something if they aren't in control of it anyway?), then that human being also has the right to decide what to do with his or her body. If a woman doesn't wish to be pregnant, she shouldn't be legally denied an abortion, because denial of that abortion would force her to make a choice that she doesn't want to and shouldn't have to.
Flipper72725

Con

Well now I think that abortion is wrong because your taking away the babies chance to live before they even get to glance at the light of day. Most people who get abortions these days are those who go out having unprotected sex, and then take an abortion as the easy way out. Sex isn't free. The whole purpose of it is to make new life, not destroy one.
And this, of course, excludes rape. in which case it is the woman's decision. because she didn't choose to have sex. No this is referring to the (pardon my language) skanky hoe-bags (of which there are PLENTY of at my school) but what i don't understand is they know sex will result in a baby. all they have to do is put on a condom to prevent it. yet they still choose not to because they know that abortion is the easy way out.
The final reason why i don't like abortion is the utterly cruel way it is underdone. I heard that they take razor blades and cut the baby to pieces. if you have to kill something, especially an unborn life, you should do it swiftly without pain.
Andromeda_Z

Pro

Andromeda_Z forfeited this round.
Flipper72725

Con

Flipper72725 forfeited this round.
Andromeda_Z

Pro

First, Flipper may have forfeited, but I did first, so give my opponent the conduct point anyway, please. I started that...

Now, onto business. My opponent failed to offer any counterarguments, so my arguments stand. In response to Con's arguments:

"Well now I think that abortion is wrong because your taking away the babies chance to live before they even get to glance at the light of day."
This is not a suitable counter-argument against abortion, because oftentimes abortions are performed before the fetus can even detect the light of day, and always before they can comprehend that they won't get to see it. Being forced to have a baby (or undergo an unsafe abortion, due to the illegality of safer abortions) would impede on the mothers' right to do as she chooses with her body.

"Most people who get abortions these days are those who go out having unprotected sex, and then take an abortion as the easy way out."
I would like to see some statistics for this, because without a source, one could say anything. If you wish to provide something you would like to be considered a fact, please also provide a link to the evidence.

"Sex isn't free. The whole purpose of it is to make new life, not destroy one."
There are many purposes to sex, whether it is for recreation, a means to make a living, a way to be close to a significant other, a way to procreate, and in some religions it can even be part of their ceremonies. In no circumstance is sex ever used "to destroy life", because sex is simply incapable of that. Abortion is not even capable of that because a fetus is not yet a living being, merely a part of the mother.

"And this, of course, excludes rape. in which case it is the woman's decision. because she didn't choose to have sex. all they have to do is put on a condom to prevent it. yet they still choose not to because they know that abortion is the easy way out."
So, it's immoral to kill a fetus, unless you never wanted that fetus, or to even have sex in the first place? What about the people who did choose to have sex, but did all they could to reduce the risk of pregnancy (such as using both condoms and hormonal birth control, which reduces the risk of pregnancy to almost nothing) and still got pregnant? Obviously they were aware of the consequences, but the likelihood of not only having sperm in the proximity of an egg, but actually becoming pregnant (it takes millions of other sperm to penetrate an egg so that one can fertilize it) was so remote as to be almost impossible. In this case, the parents can hardly be treated as if they got pregnant on purpose, has a baby, and then chose to kill it. They are aborting a fetus, likely before it has developed the capacity to feel pain, after doing all one could reasonably do to prevent becoming pregnant.

"The final reason why i don't like abortion is the utterly cruel way it is underdone. I heard that they take razor blades and cut the baby to pieces. if you have to kill something, especially an unborn life, you should do it swiftly without pain."
Please, cite your sources. Abortion is done in ways that minimize pain to the fetus, if there is even any possibility that the fetus will feel pain. Nerves and processing centers in the brain do not develop automatically, so there is time between when a fetus is conceived and when it can feel pain. The exact time at which a fetus can feel pain and to what degree is debated, but it is illogical to assume that a fetus is immediately capable of feeling pain from the moment of conception. As the fetus does not feel pain, there is no reason why abortions should be prevented for the reason of preventing fetuses from experiencing pain.
Flipper72725

Con

I would like to start by saying that it is very chivalrous of my opponent to tell the audience to not deduct points for missing the last round. Thank you for being the bigger man.

Now on with the debate. i would like to start by citing the sources for which i obtained my information. The following link is the site where I got, "the utterly cruel way it is underdone. I heard that they take razor blades and cut the baby to pieces. if you have to kill something, especially an unborn life, you should do it swiftly without pain."
http://www.abortionfacts.com...
this site also offers other ways that abortion are underdone.

The following site is a horrific and graphic depiction that my 11th grade science teacher showed us about abortion {WARNING: this video is a very graphic depiction of one form of abortion. Not all abortions are done this way. This video contains massive amounts of blood and is very GRAPHIC, HORRIFIC, and otherwise, NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH OR FAINT OF HEART. Please do not feel compelled to watch it for the sake of the debate.}
http://www.abortionno.org...

Moreover, if you watched that video you should now understand where I am coming from. now to make a counterargument to "Abortion ought to be legal because it is the right of the woman." and "that a human being is the owner of their own body" I would like to say that no one, especially not the intended mother, has the right to take away the life of their child, or any other child. After all, it is illegal to hit/abuse your child in any way. How exactly is abortion any different? your just killing your child before they have a chance to be born. That seems pretty abusive to me.

I would also like to restate one of my previous points. "And this, of course, excludes rape. in which case it is the woman's decision. because she didn't choose to have sex."
I think i just worded that poorly. What i meant to say was... And this, of course, excludes rape. in which case it is NOT the woman's decision. because she didn't choose to have sex. AND that the woman who has been raped has undergone a terrible trauma and injustice. In which case she does have the right to choose what to do with the baby. But even so, will an abortion help her? First of all, the abortion will not un-rape the woman. The tragedy has happened and nothing can change the past. Second, abortion brings a trauma of its own. To see abortion as a magic wand that brings relief but no pain is to ignore the pain of countless women who suffer for years and decades after abortion. RAPE is wrong because someone attacks the body of an innocent person. ABORTION is wrong for the same reason. That is why abortion should be rejected.

information obtained at http://www.priestsforlife.org...

That's my final argument. Let me just say that this debate has opened my eyes to a whole new take on abortion all together, and that you made very compelling arguments that even persuaded me. My opinion remains the same, but I now think more lightly of it.
Posted by Jingram994 3 years ago
Jingram994
Just thought I should point out that over 60% of abortions occur when birth control was already being used. And over 80% are the woman's very first abortion. And over 95% occur in countries where abortion is illegal. And less than 1% occur in the third trimester, when the fetus' higher brain actually begins functioning and it becomes capable of actually being conscious/self-aware/a 'person'.
Posted by xXCryptoXx 3 years ago
xXCryptoXx
Does this exempt cases such as rape?
Vote Placed by NiqashMotawadi3 3 years ago
NiqashMotawadi3
Andromeda_ZFlipper72725Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Amazing read. Con made me chuckle a couple of times with his spirited expressions. Nonetheless, Pro gave out more substantial arguments. The debate was close but I felt that Pro offered more persuading reasons, while Con only focused on people who abuse Abortion. The fact that people could abuse it doesn't mean that it is bad. Arguments go for Pro even though it was very close. Conduct goes for Con due to Pro's request.