AKMath
psk

Abortion Should Be Banned.

AKMath has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

AKMath

Pro

I'm Pro Life | Change My Mind
psk

Con

Abortion should be a choice and there are plenty of valid reasons why.

Firstly, quality of life and this ranges from medical to social reasons. As the world progresses and becomes more medically advanced, we have the ability to test for birth defects and other medical issues that may arise with newborns things that will impact not only the child but the parents for the rest of their lives. Social situations may not allow for the proper care of the child, this then becomes a government problem which becomes a tax payer problem.

While I agree that abortion should not be a form of contraception - there is no valid reason to outright ban it, people should have the choice of how they will live their life.
AKMath

Pro

I'm quite sorry I in fact don't full agree with my opening statement. I believe in abortion if the birth will kill the mother, or abnormally change her.
psk

Con

Well this threw me quite a bit. It's refreshing to see someone actually have an open mind regarding this topic, too often I see the usual 'its plain murder!' argument without consideration for anything else.

I guess we don't really have much to debate here but for the sake of other people who may come across this post I suppose I'll try to get some of my points out.

I agree that some people abuse abortion and turn it into a method of contraception and we should be trying to provide every alternative for young people especially to avoid this. But you can never, ever deny someone a choice especially when it affects their life and has no impact on anyone else but them. This goes against the premise of freedom which I'm not American but everyone knows that's what America was built upon. The freedom of the people to say what they want and to make the choices they want.

Some common arguments people have for banning abortion are things like the methods used.. Okay that's perfectly fair, it's not exactly the most elegant way, true. But it's a whole lot better than it was 100 years ago, not even that long. And it will be a whole lot better in 100 years from now. In some places its required by law that the fetus receives anesthesia prior to the procedure. This is already a step towards better methods. But a big risk in banning abortion is then reversing that decision in the future. This can also have catastrophic results in other countries especially poverty stricken ones because the world looks to the United States and tries to emulate it. If the U.S brings this into law other countries will follow and this is not a good thing, we already have people in places like Africa as an example, pushing out baby after baby after baby with no way to care for it and provide any sort of quality life for it.

This happens in Western countries too, people living in poverty are having kids they can't provide for and if we completely eliminate the choice of abortion this will be happening even more frequently and what do you suppose happens to these kids? Some turn to crime. Now, admittedly that's a very anecdotal scenario and I could of put it in better words but the point stands that you cannot completely eliminate the CHOICE.

As far as putting up for adoption, that's not always a viable solution. If you are pregnant as a result of an accident which happens all too frequently and you are a single working woman you can't always afford to carry a pregnancy to 9 months, this means having to take time off or not being able to fully perform at your job what happens then? I think you get the idea.

In the end, there are plenty of valid reasons why it should be a choice. It doesn't affect anyone but the mother and father. And we can go into the whole it affects the baby argument but no, it doesn't, the fetus isn't conscious.

I guess I'll end it there since we don't have much to debate here. I appreciate your honesty that something was able to change your opinion on this topic and I hope more people can at least see other sides to this rather than just 'its murder!'

Have a good one!
Posted by psk 1 week ago
psk
I'm not saying it deserves to die because it has a deformity or disability, I'm saying not every parent is equipped enough or even wants to deal with a life long disability and why should you have any say or any input in another persons life? You can have your opinions and be against that notion thats perfectly fine it's just that you don't have a say how someone is going to live their life.

On your point of adoption, sure 94% of kids get adopted but that's going by current statistics, things will obviously change if we were to ban abortion and introduce a lot more kids into the system. Again, this will become a tax payer problem and frankly I would prefer the money goes towards other things, education, infrastructure etc etc.

That's not the only issue with adoption though, as I've said before, not every mother will have the option to carry a pregnancy to full term. Accidents happen, contraceptives break, if you're a single woman that is working full time, do you really think someone in that position will have the ability to carry a pregnancy to full term? This means taking time off work, doctors visits etc. You can really quickly find yourself either losing that job or getting less hours.

Even though we may not have an overpopulation problem right now things change. This will ESPECIALLY change when you ban abortions.. Now, I'm not saying it will CAUSE overpopulation but you're introducing a lot more people into the mix by definition.

The thing is you do feel pain when you're asleep, if you were to get shot in the leg while you are asleep you will very quickly wake up in shock and pain so your entire argument there is completely ridiculous. And as i've said before abortion methods will improve as they have improved over the years, it's a requirement by law in some states that anaesthesia be given to the fetus during the procedure. And things will continue to improve.

In the end, why should it be YOUR choice and not theirs? This goes against all freed
Posted by asta 1 week ago
asta
A kid does not deserve to die because they have a disability. It's ironic how the left would discriminate against babies in the womb because they are disabled and once they are born, they are treated like a superior person.

A kid does not deserve to die because they have a disability. This is actual discrimination.
Posted by asta 1 week ago
asta
"What do you think will honestly happen if you completely ban the choice for abortion. Mother's who don't want a child will still find a way to get rid of that child and I'm not talking adoption.." The abortion rate when abortions were illegal is about 1/4 what would be if it was legal.

"Speaking of adoption though not every kid gets adopted, there are plenty of kids in the system who aren't adopted and probably won't be" Most kids in the adoption system get adopted. http://www.adopt.org..., it states that over 94% of kids who
get set up for adoption get adopted within 4 years. Not only that, but since adoption costs a lot of money, this may sound like a negative but in reality, it means that only rich people are adopting.

In conclusion, over 94% of kids who get set up for adoption get adopted and they get adopted to relatively well off families who want to adopt. How"s adoption bad? Any that don't get adopted in that one fiscal year carry over to the next year

I also think the adoption system might now use federal funds, although I'm not sure. I think they get funding from the money adopters pay to adopt a child. That's why its expensive to adopt.

"Should we still ban abortion in times of severe overpopulation?" Yes, especially since there is not an overpopulation problem in the western world and overpopulation will settle down in about 30 years because Africa is developing and even countries like India already has a fertility rate almost comparable to the west.

"A fetus doesn't have a life" Science confirms the opposite thesis.

"a fetus is not conscious, a fetus doesn't develop it's nervous system until the 11-20 week mark a fetus is nothing." Neither is a sleeping person. When you are sleeping, you are unconscious and therefore can't feel pain. Does this mean that it is okay to kill a sleeping person?
Posted by psk 1 week ago
psk
okuuuuuur

Who are you to dictate how somebody lives their life? If the child is a result of faulty contraception and the mother is a 17 year girl are you really going to force her to have that child? You are not the one who has the responsibility for the child so it's very easy for you to sit there and judge. What about in cases where prenatal testing shows a defect or life long condition and the parents aren't equipped or even want to deal with that is it wrong they abort the child by your standards? Besides all that, the reason should not even matter its a CHOICE it's a persons right to have that choice.

What do you think will honestly happen if you completely ban the choice for abortion. Mother's who don't want a child will still find a way to get rid of that child and I'm not talking adoption..

Speaking of adoption though not every kid gets adopted, there are plenty of kids in the system who aren't adopted and probably won't be, with your logic you are forcing people to completely clog the government facilities that deal with adoption, this then becomes a tax payer problem.

What about practicality? Should we still ban abortion in times of severe overpopulation? Oh, but all life is magical and should be cherished. A fetus doesn't have a life, a fetus is not conscious, a fetus doesn't develop it's nervous system until the 11-20 week mark a fetus is nothing.
Posted by okuuuuuur 1 week ago
okuuuuuur
someone give me hard evidence that you are not killing a human by aborting them, because from what I can see science definitely dictates that human life exists from the moment of conception. If the child in the womb is a human life, no argument for abortion is adequate (except in cases where the mothers life is at risk), otherwise this is not even an issue, if we are just removing the equivalent of a ball of goo from the mother's womb, but that is not the case. We all have got to realise that human life should be cherished and is not disposable and cheap.
Posted by Vvanadium 1 week ago
Vvanadium
The adoption argument is not very valid, in non first-world countries (my example is India, but I'm sure there are others), the child is simply abandoned and left to live on the streets.
Posted by John_C_1812 1 week ago
John_C_1812
By principle pregnancy abortion is most often a lie creating perjury.
The debate is over the admission of pregnancy abortion. Is the reason the debate topic of abortion is so popular based on the idea it is a criminal admission made publicly?

If it is an admission to a crime according to woman?
What is the legal justification of some woman to having all woman make this admission publicly?
And if it is not an admission to a crime why are there justifications like the question of when life starts?
Posted by illegalcombat 1 week ago
illegalcombat
To what extent do you think abortion should not be allowed/legal ?

For example, do you think abortion should not be allowed from the moment of conception ?