all_hail_the_glow_cloud
Harleygator

Abortion Should be Illegal

all_hail_the_glow_cloud

Con

I am against the argument that abortion should be illegal, citing my opinion that women should be free to decide what to do with their own bodies and evidence that states that if abortion is illegal, women often turn to unsafe medical practices, putting their own life in danger along with the fetus's.
Harleygator

Pro

I'd like to thank the opposition for challenging me to debate.

You state that you believe women should be allowed to do what they want with their own bodies. I wish to counter that the baby inside her is not "her body", but, instead, a separate human being in it's own right. If it's human, abortion is murder, and should therefore be illegal.

So when can we consider a foetus to inhuman, therefore making the killing acceptable? I think it's reasonable to say that birth-time is not a legitimate answer; the vagina does not magically bestow personhood. 30 weeks? The baby has eyes, teeth, and can utilise 4 of its 5 senses. So no. 20 weeks? The baby can dream, and recognises the sound of it's mother's voice. Again, no. 10 weeks? The baby can move, breath, and urinate. No. 5-6 weeks? The baby has brainwaves, and recognisable limbs. No. Week 3? The baby has a spinal column and a developed nervous system. No. Week 2? The baby has a heartbeat. No. No. No. There is no acceptable stage. Period.
all_hail_the_glow_cloud

Con

A woman is more important than a fetus. You state as an argument that a fetus is "a separate human being", but the unborn baby is not scientifically or legally a person or human being and therefore an abortion cannot be considered a murder or treated as such. Furthermore, the fetus does not have self-awareness or the ability to feel pain. Putting their rights above a woman's is arrogant and degrading. In addition, the baby is most certainly a part of the woman's body, which is protected by Bodily Autonomy. This in part makes up the rules dictating that you cannot take organs from a body that has not provided consent prior to death. It is absolutely ludicrous to expressly grant that right to a dead body, yet strip it from an alive and sentient woman.

Compulsory laws that dictate what a woman must do with her body do not fit with the image of a free society. We can and must trust women to make their own decisions; if not that, than what can we depend on?

Harleygator

Pro

Firstly, your assertion that the baby is part of the woman is simply your opinion; suffice to say, just saying something does not make it true. I have already made the case in round 1 for why we should view the baby as a human entity. I might go further, beyond observation, to make the following point:

A fetus can have a different blood type to the mother. This alone, along with its ability to move independently without direction from the mother, should be ample enough evidence. It is often the case that the baby's different blood cells will trigger an autoimmune response from the mother's cells, as when they attack viruses and other foreign bodies. This happened to me, and can cause jaundice, which it did. This is proof that the baby itself is an entity "foreign" to the mother's body, and, hence, is a separate entity.

Again, I repeat the point: if the baby is a human and considered separate and due inalienable rights to life, abortion is murder, and murder is illegal.
all_hail_the_glow_cloud

Con

You stated that my argument "is simply your opinion." Absolutely, it is. Along with yours: the whole point of the issue is that we have different opinions on this topic-but that's the thing: we cannot invoke the law on an issue that is primarily moral. For that reason alone abortion is a right that we cannot, nor should we attempt, to take away.

It is safe to say that the fetus relies on the mother for survival, correct? If this is true than we cannot consider a fetus to be "separate." The woman is not obligated to provide something life at her own risk-this would be the same as stripping organs from a deceased person that has not consented for it, which is illegal. Furthermore, prohibiting abortions does not stop them. Before abortion became legal, it's estimated that nearly a million per year sought illegal abortions, of which thousands died and tens of thousands were mutilated. We need to keep abortion legal and safe. Keep all children wanted children. Keep abortion legal.
Harleygator

Pro

Self-reliance is not the determining factor of one's right to life. There are disabled or permanently comatose individuals who cannot survive without reliance on others. We still consider their right to life absolute, and murdering them (for convenience) is both immoral and illegal.

As for your accusation that my declaration that a fetus is a human and due human rights is my opinion: I disagree. I have pointed to fetal development and asked you to rationalise the moment of personhood. This is important, because if the murder of a human being is illegal, knowing when to consider a fetus human is of paramount importance. This isn't simply an issue of morality. It's a question of whether someone is due their right to life or not. Considering that you haven't defined the moment of personhood, or even disputed that a heartbeat or own blood represents one's distinct humanity, tells me and, I hope the voters, that a fetus is as much a human as you and I, and due equal rights in that regard.