chippedcup
Daisy1234

Abortion is Immoral

chippedcup

chippedcup

Pro

Hello, this is a debate about the morality of abortion (not whether it should be legalized/banned).

I am new to the website, so I am hoping that this is the correct format to frame the debate. If not, please feel free to correct me :)

My position is that abortion is a strictly immoral action, as when a woman consents to have an abortion, and a doctor carries the procedure out, they are directly causing the death of a human being.

Abortion is a very complex issue, as women who seek abortion do so for various, generally emotionally distressing, reasons. However, there is a singular core difference between the way pro-life and pro-choice advocates view this debate. As a secular humanist and a pro-life advocate, I see a fetus as a live human being, whereas most consistent pro-choice arguments hinge on the presupposition that a fetus is not yet alive or a human being.

If they are right, then abortion would absolutely be moral as it improves the quality of life for the woman during those 9 months that she would have been pregnant and potentially allows her to access a higher level of productivity and happiness throughout the rest of her life.

However, if fetuses are in fact live human beings, then it is always an immoral action. Even if the life of the mother is at risk, and an abortion must be performed in order to save her, it is still resulting in the death of another human being. This is at best an unfortunate sacrifice, and at worst a deliberate extermination of a potential threat.

If fetuses are live human beings, then they deserve all of the same protections afforded to infants located in the outside world. Our responsibility as a moral society is to care for the needs of women and find ways to support them in such a way that the death of another individual is not required.

Thank you to Pro for taking on this debate, and I look forward to reading your arguments!
chippedcup

Pro

Hi Con,

I was hoping to debate with someone who holds an opposing viewpoint. Would you be willing to play devil's advocate for the purposes of this debate? If not, how do I go about restarting the debate?
Daisy1234

Con

Sure I will play the devil
I disagree
chippedcup

Pro

I'm not sure why you chose to take up this debate if you have no interest in debating the issue. This is my first debate on this website and I am reconsidering whether this community is worth my time if this is what I have to expect.
Daisy1234

Con

Abortion is not immortal it is stupid
Posted by SweeneyTodd 2 years ago
SweeneyTodd
I would like to join this debate. I haven't fully made up my mind on this topic, but I'm willing to play Devil's advocate and have an open mind about it. I would say that a fetus is not a fully developed human. It's like saying that cooking eggs is chicken murder: It's a lot less of a bother to smash an egg than to strangle a chicken, or, even a chick.... then again I guess it depends on how soon the egg will hatch.
Posted by chippedcup 2 years ago
chippedcup
Hi Gabe1e, no I'm not. The debate is called "Abortion is immoral" which is an affirmative statement which I agree with. So I am pro the statement, "abortion is immoral".
Posted by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
Pro, you are stupid. You are supposed to be on CON.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
chippedcupDaisy1234Tied
Reasons for voting decision: terrible, terrible troll. Did you even try? (seriously...you could have said "my opponent failed to define abortion, so I will define it...as the terminating of a mission on a ship)
Vote Placed by Raymond_Reddington 2 years ago
Raymond_Reddington
chippedcupDaisy1234Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con refused to argue the resolution. It's a shame that pro's first debate on this website was tainted by this troll.
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
chippedcupDaisy1234Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Troll Con