Abortion is Justified in Certain Situations

This House believes that abortion can be justified in certain circumstances, I.E. When the woman was raped, or the mother would die due to the pregnancy.
Abortion - the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy
I thank my opponent in advance for accepting the debate.

its evil, vile and cruel killing lil child for your mistake and saying it has no life.. then go to hell and jesus will punish you and make you cry like a baby.......................a christian living for God

As I said in the opening round; Abortion is justified in certain situations (when the mother was impregnated due to rape or the mother's health would be at risk). First I would like to make a small comment on something my opponent said, which will tie in nicely with my first point.

its evil, vile and cruel killing lil child for your mistake

But it isn't always the mothers mistake that leads to impregnation. In the definition I provided the example of rape. Unless you seek to generalise and say that every woman who gets raped deserves it, then the only logical conclusion is to say that some don't, and it is the sick, twisted perpetrators fault (which it always is). The woman never wanted to be raped. The woman never wanted the child, so why shouldn't she be given the choice in the matter?

1. My first point concerns the health of the mother. In an ectopic pregnancy (where the egg embeds itself outside the womb), the foetus will not grow to a sufficient extent. It just isn't a viable pregnancy. The mother must use methotrexate to kill the egg if it doesn't remove itself, which is an abortion in every sense of the word. In this case, where the growth of the child would rupture the fallopian tube and cause death by internal bleeding, it is imperative that the baby is aborted. In 2003 the amount of deaths because of pregnancy was 15 per 100,000 live births. Today, 20 people out of every 100,000 (in America) are affected by Ectopic pregnancies. It would be immoral to allow the mother to die in the situation, as her rights need to be taken into account as well.

1. The Bible teaches that human life is different from other types of life, because human beings are made in the very image of God.
The accounts of the creation of man and woman in Genesis (Genesis 1:26-31; 2:4-25) tell us this: "God created man in his image; in the divine image he created him; male and female he created them" (Genesis 1:27).
The word "create" is used three times here, emphasizing a special crowning moment in the whole process of God"s making the world and everything in it. The man and woman are given "dominion" over everything else in the visible world.
Not even the original sin takes away the image of God in human beings. St. James refers to this image and says that because of it we should not even speak ill of one another. "With [the tongue] we bless the Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings who are made in the image of God . . . This ought not be so, brothers" (James 3:9-10).
The image of God! This is what it means to be human! We are not just a bunch of cells randomly thrown together by some impersonal forces. Rather, we really reflect an eternal God who knew us from before we were made, and purposely called us into being.
At the heart of the abortion tragedy is the question raised in the Psalms: "Lord, what is man that you care for him, mortal man that you keep him in mind? . . . With glory and honor you crowned him, giving him power over the works of your hands" (Psalm 8:5-7).
There is the key. Not only did God make us, but He values us. The Bible tells us of a God who is madly in love with us, so much so that He became one of us and even died for us while we were still offending Him (see Romans 5:6-8). In the face of all this, can we say that human beings are disposable, like a car that becomes more trouble than it is worth? "God doesn"t make junk." If you believe the Bible, you have to believe that human life is sacred, more sacred than we have ever imagined!
2. The Bible teaches that children are a blessing.
God commanded our first parents to "Be fertile and multiply" (Genesis 1:28). Why? God Himself is fertile. Love always overflows into life. When the first mother brought forth the first child, she exclaimed, "I have brought forth a man with the help of the Lord" (Genesis 4:1). The help of the Lord is essential, for He has dominion over human life and is its origin. Parents cooperate with God in bringing forth life. Because this whole process is under God"s dominion, it is sinful to interrupt it. The prophet Amos condemns the Ammonites "because they ripped open expectant mothers in Gilead" (Amos 1:13).
"Truly children are a gift from the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward" (Psalm 127:3).
3. The Bible teaches that the child in the womb is truly a human child, who even has a relationship with the Lord.
The phrase "conceived and bore" is used repeatedly (see Genesis 4:1,17) and the individual has the same identity before as after birth. "In sin my mother conceived me," the repentant psalmist says in Psalm 51:7. The same word is used for the child before and after birth (Brephos, that is, "infant," is used in Luke 1:41 and Luke 18:15.)
God knows the preborn child. "You knit me in my mother"s womb . . . nor was my frame unknown to you when I was made in secret" (Psalm 139:13,15). God also helps and calls the preborn child. "You have been my guide since I was first formed . . . from my mother"s womb you are my God" (Psalm 22:10-11). "God" from my mother"s womb had set me apart and called me through his grace" (St. Paul to the Galatians 1:15).
4. Scripture repeatedly condemns the killing of the innocent.
This flows from everything that has been seen so far. God"s own finger writes in stone the commandment "Thou shalt not kill" (Exodus 20:13, Deuteronomy 5:17) and Christ reaffirms it (Matthew 19:18 - notice that He mentions this commandment first). The Book of Revelation affirms that (unrepentant) murderers cannot enter the kingdom of heaven (Revelation 22:15).
The killing of children is especially condemned by God through the prophets. In the land God gave his people to occupy, foreign nations had the custom of sacrificing some of their children in fire. God told His people that they were not to share in this sin. They did, however, as Psalm 106 relates: "They mingled with the nations and learned their works"They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to demons, and they shed innocent blood, the blood of their sons and their daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan, desecrating the land with bloodshed" (Psalm 106:35, 37-38).
This sin of child-sacrifice, in fact, is mentioned as one of the major reasons that the Kingdom of Israel was destroyed by the Assyrians and the people taken into exile. "They mutilated their sons and daughters by fire"till the Lord, in his great anger against Israel, put them away out of his sight" (2 Kings 17:17-18).
Notice that this practice was a religious ritual. Not even for "religious freedom" can the killing of children be tolerated.
5. The Bible teaches that God is a God of justice.
An act of justice is an act of intervention for the helpless, an act of defense for those who are too weak to defend themselves. In foretelling the Messiah, Psalm 72 says, "Justice shall flower in his days"for he shall rescue the poor man when he cries out and the afflicted when he has no one to help him" (Psalms 72:7,12). Jesus Christ is our justice (1 Corinthians 1:30) because He rescued us from sin and death when we had none to help us (see Romans 5:6, Ephesians 2:4-5).
If God does justice for His people, He expects His people to do justice for one another. "Be merciful as your heavenly Father is merciful" (Luke 6:36). "Go and do likewise" (Luke 10:37). "Do unto others as you would have them do to you" (Matthew 7:12). "Love one another" (John 15:17).
Abortion is the opposite of these teachings. It is a reversal of justice. It is a destruction of the helpless rather than a rescue of them. If God"s people do not intervene to save those whose lives are attacked, then the people are not pleasing or worshiping Him.
God says through Isaiah, "Trample my courts no more! Bring no more worthless offerings"Your festivals I detest"When you spread out your hands, I close my eyes to you; though you pray the more, I will not listen. Your hands are full of blood! Wash yourselves clean"learn to do good. Make justice your aim: redress the wronged, hear the orphan"s plea, defend the widow" (Isaiah 1:13-17).
Indeed, those who worship God but support abortion are falling into the same contradiction as God"s people of old, and need to hear the same message.
6. Jesus Christ paid special attention to the poor, the despised, and those whom the rest of society considered insignificant.
He broke down the false barriers that people set up among themselves, and instead acknowledged the equal human dignity of every individual, despite what common opinion might say. Hence we see Him reach out to children despite the efforts of the apostles to keep them away (Matthew 19:13-15); to tax collectors and sinners despite the objections of the Scribes (Mark 2:16); to the blind despite the warnings of the crowd (Matthew 20:29-34); to a foreign woman despite the utter surprise of the disciples and of the woman herself (John 4:9, 27); to Gentiles despite the anger of the Jews (Matthew 21:41-46); and to the lepers, despite their isolation from the rest of society (Luke 17:11-19).
When it comes to human dignity, Christ erases distinctions. St. Paul declares, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave or free person, there is not male and female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Galatians 3:28).
We can likewise say, "There is neither born nor unborn." Using this distinction as a basis for the value of life or the protection one deserves is meaningless and offensive to all that Scripture teaches. The unborn are the segment of our society which is most neglected and discriminated against. Christ Himself surel

Before getting on to points of clash, I would like to point out that Con failed to refute any of my arguments in his points. He didn't show how abortion in the case of an ectopic pregnancy, where both mother and child would die, is bad or unjustifiable. Instead he bombarded us with scriptures and quotes from the Bible, which are entirely subjective opinions and therefore cannot be placed on an objective issue. Furthermore, he states, and I quote, "Scripture repeatedly condemns the killing of the innocent", yet he seems to think that a woman who is in danger of dieing due to the pregnancy should do, if it means the child's survival. He seeks to generalise each and every case of pregnancy by stating "The child does not deserve to die for your mistake", but fails to see how, in America alone, there are 30,000 cases of pregnancy due to rape each year, which is never the woman's mistake.

1. Clash 1 - Morality - Con stated that it would be immoral to kill an innocent child in any circumstance, saying that we are not just a collection of cells and are made by an intelligent creator. He has the BOP here to support the claim but fails to do this. I said that in certain cases, where both mother and child would die, it is entirely moral as there is absolutely no point in losing both people, and have cited many sources to support the idea. I could go further into rebuttal but since they are con's personal opinions, and are not backed up by hard evidence, there is simply no point. I have clearly won this clash as my arguments were reinforced by my sources and were not disproved by Con in any way.

There could be more clashes, but Con's points were insignificant and were not enforced by anything he later said. I urge every voter to vote for the proposition.

you have a Vagina
Posted by mimibrightzola 2 years ago
well this is more of a philosophical question here, but not having that baby either would technically be "killing it" the sperm never touches the egg, and the egg dies of through menustration. So that sperm and that egg would've never met anyways if the couple decided to go through abstinence or contraception. So now lets say the couple did have intercourse and the woman isn't ready for a baby. After all in most situations when a woman wants to have an abortion there is always a "good" reason behind it. Perhaps she wants to continue her education, perhaps it is not socially acceptable at the moment, perhaps she can't afford a baby, or she has a certain illness she does not want pass on. Anyways if you think this way so is it every time a sperm doesn't meet the egg death?

There is the spiritual view of abortion, and the mental pain while going through with it, yet a woman should be able to decide when to go through abortion, because what is the point of having a baby to only make it feel unwanted. Some people are just not qualified to be parents too...
Posted by Taurini 2 years ago
I totally agree with this and I simply can't accept the challenge because of that.
Posted by greatbigworld 2 years ago
vote for me on my debates
kid has no grammar
Vote Placed by CJKAllstar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro had good points such as the ectopic pregnancy case, which Con did not refute. He also had good sources, better conduct and spelling and grammar. Con used the Bible as a source, which the belief in is subjective and thus is not viable for a debate which is fairly objective. Con also ended with, "you have a Vagina", which loses points for conduct and also had many grammatical errors.