FrenchieLassiie
dairygirl4u2c

Abortion is fine

FrenchieLassiie

Pro

Where a woman has made a decision to have an abortion that is fine. This doesn't include situations where she has been forced or pressured to have an abortion against her will.

I also maintain the view that legal and safe abortion reduce the horrors of unsafe abortions.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

it's at least debateable whether abortion early in the pregnancy is killing a person. if it's an open question, that means we should defer to life, otherwise we might be killing someone. then, there's abortion when it's clearly a person. even if the child isn't able to live on its own doesn't mean it's not a person with rights that should be respected.
at least later in pregnancy, a mother has two things working against her... one is that it's not as morally gray and she had a chance to abort earlier when morally grayer and didnt, and the other is she had a choice to have sex and risk pregnancy.

'abortion is fine' gives no respect to the point in the pregnancy it occurs, or other circumstances, which respect should be given cause the fetus has rights too.
FrenchieLassiie

Pro

I was talking in a general sense, as to specify a particular point in pregnancy is in my eyes a separate debate than the general issue of legal and safe abortions being available at request. You state that the woman had a choice in having sex, although this hasn't been stated however I think for debating purposes on this issue we will assume that I mean in cases excluding rape.

The argument of when an abortion can take place in my eyes is a separate one. I am simply arguing that the option should be available and I assume you are taking the stance that this shouldn't be the case.

My argument is based on idea that applying the rule that it the choice should not be available means that regardless of a person's circumstances they do not have the option to have an abortion regardless of how devastating the consequences could be for them and that child. I do believe that contraception should be a first port of call however, a condom is only effective 99.9% of the time and the same goes for hormonal contraception, this means even where someone has taken every reasonable precaution it is still completely possible that a person could end up pregnant.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

i can be sympathetic to not wanting to punish women who are making often difficult decisions. but then we don't even have to punish much, if at all. even if we punished none at all, that doesn't mean we should keep it legal. illegal with no punishment is still in principle stating what we believe.... she had a chance to abort when morally grayer or if early to begin with, she made a decision to have sex and risk pregnancy. we defer to life if there are any questions.
FrenchieLassiie

Pro

FrenchieLassiie forfeited this round.
dairygirl4u2c

Con

dairygirl4u2c forfeited this round.