Jabuticaba
BehindYou

Abortion is generally immoral.

Jabuticaba

Jabuticaba

Pro

First round, you must explain your opening statements, in the last round, you must write "thanks for the debate". Failure to do so will result in a 7 point loss. You will be arguing that abortion is generally good.
BehindYou

Con

Abortion good? I wouldn't say abortion is good, but it isn't immoral. It should be the choice of the mother whether or not she keeps the baby or not. People's morals should not limit freedom: freedom over morals, especially when little scientific evidence can support those morals.

Debate was slightly unclear, I suppose arguments will be next?

I wish the best of luck to my opponent.
Jabuticaba

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate. I would like to clarify and explain how in the last round, since you got the first round to state an argument you must write "thanks for the debate" as the rules stated. So basically last round you don't post anything.

DEFINITIONS

Generally: "usually; commonly; ordinarily" [1]

Abortion:"Also called voluntary abortion. the removal of an embryo or fetus from the uterus in order to end a pregnancy.[2]

Immoral: "not morally good or right : morally evil or wrong" [3]

Living : "having life; living; existing; not dead or lifeless."[4]

OPENING CONTENTIONS

For this round, I will state my main starting conentions.

A fetus is a living thing

A fetus is a living thing. Though it may not be human, it is still living. Technically, anything that can grow is considered living. Since a fetus can grow, when it is in the womb, it is still considered living.

"All living things share life processes such as growth and reproduction" [5]
"The moment of fertilization is an entirely logical point to choose as the beginning of human life." [6]

So by these standards, commiting abortion is another way of killing, considering you are killing a living creature. This is highly immoral, and wrong. Preventing a child to live is wrong, and in most cases, or in other words generally immoral.

This is pretty much my main argument for now, because I am short on time. Thanks.

1.http://dictionary.reference.com...
2.http://dictionary.reference.com...
3.http://www.merriam-webster.com...
4.http://dictionary.reference.com...
5.http://www.sciencelearn.org.nz...
6.http://abortionmedicalethics.weebly.com...

BehindYou

Con

BehindYou forfeited this round.
Jabuticaba

Pro

My opponent posted no argument. And because of the rules, this round he cannot make one. Because of such, we can treat this as a full forfeit. Please understand such when you vote. I have proved a fetus is alive, and because of such you are killing an innocent being, which in most cases is immoral, therefore generally immoral. Vote pro!
BehindYou

Con

BehindYou forfeited this round.
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
Jabuticaba
I did not say they should make it illegal
Posted by youngANDopinionated 2 years ago
youngANDopinionated
First of all, an abortion should not be considered a right for a woman. It was a right to decide what to do with their own body before having sex and conceiving a child. At the point of physically being pregnant they have lost that right. Where one person's rights end another's begins. That's exactly what this comes to. An abortion is the killing of a human. We focus so much on not killing baby animals, trees, or anything else but when it comes to humans we think its no big deal to just end life. There are many other options for the poor when they give birth. If they can't afford a child then 1- they never should have put themselves in the position to have a child, and 2- if they do have a child their is adoption and other resources for unequipped mothers.
Posted by LogicalLib.org 2 years ago
LogicalLib.org
Furthermore if you want to talk immoral how about creating a law that prevents access to a health care service solely based on gender. I might consider your point if men weren't allowed to have vasectomies. But they are, and at any age. Women of child bearing age will find almost no provider who's willing to perform a hysterectomy. Last I checked-- I need that other x or y chromosome to make a child. A mandate based on something I've never had a choice on--based on what you believe about your body--is immoral. Notice pro-choice doesn't restrict a right and yet you feel you have a moral high ground to tell others what's best for their body. Unless your adopting all these kids, keep the government out of my uterus.
Posted by LogicalLib.org 2 years ago
LogicalLib.org
The facts are this: making abortion illegal doesn't stop abortion. Women obtain illegal abortions and end up dying. Furthermore let's look at our economic climate. Recently there's a debate about giving women equal pay, there have also been measures to cut funding for programs like WICC, the largest proportion of women who have abortions are the poor and minorities . These people are unlikely to have access to health care or prenatal care for that matter. And yes it would be nice to say well let's just provide these people with an education and set them up for success and a way to make a living--however the US is ranked 22 of 27 for education in developed countries. Not to mention we have the second highest child poverty rate among developed countries. Many states are enacting laws banning abortion even on the basis of rape or incest--so let's just put that all together. You don't give me equal pay, good education, African American women have the highest maternal death rate in the country, I have no access to services, I don't have insurance-- but I you would like to mandate I care for a child? A child who won't be adequately taken care of --and no foster care is no better the system is over run. This country isn't founded on religion, its time you use history as a guide. A ban on abortion doesn't stop abortion but it does hurt women, especially women who are already poor. So why is my right to life any less valid?
Posted by RoeRoeRoeYourVote 2 years ago
RoeRoeRoeYourVote
If killing a living thing is wrong, period, then that would include washing your hands or plucking grass.
Vote Placed by Defro 2 years ago
Defro
JabuticabaBehindYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con broke the rules stated by Pro, resulting in a 7 point loss.
Vote Placed by Relativist 2 years ago
Relativist
JabuticabaBehindYouTied
Reasons for voting decision: Complying with rules "...Failure to do so will result in a 7 point loss."