Chrutercraft
Normerican

Abortion is killing

Chrutercraft

Pro

Abortion is murdering babies.

Short and sweet
Normerican

Con

While I am heavily against abortion, there's definitely some good arguments for abortion. Would it not be the government killing a woman if abortion was the only way for the lady to survive? When there's legitimate reasons for abortion, it is okay because the woman should be allowed to live more so than the child...If it was an issue of rape then that's not really acceptable, as the woman can just put the child up for adoption.

Although, let's say abortion was made only legal if it meant the life of the woman carrying the baby. Then you'd not only save 1 life by taking 1 unborn, you would be providing a whole new realm of research for scientists to help cure disease and prevent things like the preganent woman from happening as often. Cancer, genetic disabilities, and several flaws could potentially be treated with the study of fetuses.

By doing it you're not only saving 1 life, your saving others and removing need for abortion by preventing disorders that prevent birth. Potentially
Chrutercraft

Pro

That is a very good point, and I appropriate your opinion. But I am not talking about that. I am talking about using abortion as a birth control. The mother decides that she doesn't want to care for and nourish a child, so she has it murdered. That, in my opinion, is just as bad as having the baby born and shooting it.
Normerican

Con

While Abortion being flaunted as birth control is something I'm strongly against; as I believe that the babies potential to do something great is very possible. I do believe that abortion isn't actually murder of the fetus. There's crimes for killing fetus's too, and criminals can go to jail for a long time for it, but when the mother chooses to abort the child, for whatever, reason it's not technically killing.

Think of it like this: You have a farm. The chicken lays an egg. That chicken could have had some key genetic material in it that could have been revolutionary to science. We go ahead and cook and eat that egg with big smiles on our face. In a sense, it's wrong, and not right and a little messed up even. But it is not animal cruelty. You should not go to prison for eating an egg.

That's the best analogy I can give to shed light on the subject. While it's very wrong to do so, for there are other options, it is not murder due to it not having the same, rights as a chicken does
Chrutercraft

Pro

Yes, but what is it when its a fetus? Is it not technically alive? In my mind it is, because it need nourishment to survive. It is a living, breathing, human being and, even though it is still in the womb, needs to be properly cared for in order to survive.

This shows that it is a human, even though it cannot think for its self.
Normerican

Con

The unprofessional abortion can be considered feticide, and can be up to 20 years in prison. A professional abortion by a doctor is safe, clean. And to be considered abortion has to meet several requirements before being allowed to abort. You can't abort a 30 week baby? At least I don't think so.
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
And no, I do not think there should be abortions when the fetus is moving an kicking because that would necessitate brain activity.
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
The examples you have provided are of people that have already established consciousness and a sense of self. They have become a thinking "person". I also believe that if a person has become permanently brain dead, they are dead. Would you also force a young mother to care for a brain dead body that is artificially kept alive in her home? There is no such thing as a "person" without a brain.
The destruction that can and does happen to a mother that is forced to raise an unplanned child can be devastating, to the mother and the future child, and should not just be considered a footnote.
Posted by Normerican 1 year ago
Normerican
I agree with you too. But. Is it not fair to say that we shouldn't be killing fetus's through abortion when there's something with a beating heart, a head, a skull, something that kicks and moves around. I like to think of it like this.

Someone with a not yet functioning or ill-functioning organ should be killed because it's difficult to care for them? Should people with mental defects be killed because the mom doesn't know what to do with them after they've grown past the baby stage?

Just because something isn't dead-yet, if it's functioning in many other ways and being able to process things it is alive. Also, I'm pretty sure brain activity happens in fetus, even if the baby is asleep. There's babies that are aborted that while exiting the womb are screaming and crying and kicking. If there wasn't brain activity how would it be able to do this?
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
Normerican - we agree on the same basic premise - that babies should not be killed. What we disagree on is when it is a baby. I believe it should be considered a baby when there is brain activity.
Posted by Normerican 1 year ago
Normerican
That argument is stupid matt. You are comparing apples to oranges on a statistical level. The chance of one of the sperm in a single go getting a woman fertile, and a healthy baby at 25 weeks being born? It's not even comparable.

Aborting a fetus because you cannot care for the child is ridiculous, if the child is going to be born, more or less, then it's going to be a problem with adoption and giving it to someone trustworthy to be raised too. Unless it's life or death, or no other option for the babies survival if he is born anyway, then abortion is illogical and immoral.
Posted by matt8800 1 year ago
matt8800
Technically speaking, there is no more consciousness or brain activity in an embryo than your toenail. It is not a conscious person; it is an embryo. It is just like a seed is not a tree; it is a seed. If you argue about the potential, one could make the same argument for sperm and claim that masturbation is murder.
Posted by raskuseal 1 year ago
raskuseal
Agreed.