werdna1999
Joss_Whedon

Abortion is murder

werdna1999

Con

When a women has an abortion, she is removing only a clump of cells from her body ( I am opposed abortion after 6 months ). Should the government force her to birth what is technically a parasite in her body? Arguing that a fetus is a human and should receive basic human rights is a viable reason for not aborting, yet if you do believe that a fetus is a human, and thus with human rights, a fetus does not have the right to live inside another organism (just as any other human), nor does the fetus have the right to use another human's organs without his/her permission, just as someone can refuse to donate their organs, even if it puts another's life at stake. Taking away a woman's control to her body is taking away her rights, her life, so I am pro-life, pro the life of the pregnant individual.

Abortion is the 6th leading cause, causing over 200,000 deaths in 2013 and around 10 million become injured, infected or sick (http://www.who.int...). If you are truly pro-life, then you would agree that it is more important to save a woman who has lived and can think for herself, than a potentially harmful parasite residing inside of her. A woman should be able to eliminate her risk of death as she needs.

Some say that abortion has too many dangerous side effects, though you can see in my previous paragraph that pregnancy also does, a woman dying from pregnancy is 14 times more likely than dying from an abortion (http://abortion.procon.org...). Making abortions illegal won't necessarily cause them to stop, only make them more dangerous, as those who do not want children will engage in unprofessional means of aborting their fetus.

Any religious reasoning for being anti-abortions should not be forced upon our government, much less other's lives.

For people who are only okay with abortions when a woman is raped, I ask you to question your logic, for if you believe that abortion is murder, then why is a baby conceived from rape any less than one who is the product of a stable marriage?

A common solution that is proposed for minors and others not (financially or maturely) ready for a baby is adoption, yet putting a baby up for adoption costs a lot more money than an abortion, usually around 3,500$-7,000$. Forcing a minor through pregnancy not only hurts the child (their likeliness of teen pregnancy rises) but also hurts the mother, as only 1/3 of teen mothers graduate high school, and 80% of them end up on welfare (http://www.teenhelp.com...).
Joss_Whedon

Pro

I am really playing Devil's advocate here because I beleive in abortion until 20 weeks, when external reproductive organs are seveloped. The reason being that I see humans as vessels through which genes travel, our entire function is reproduction. As soon as reproductive prgans develop, well, in my opionion, you have a human.

But, for the sake of argument, let's say that I am against abortion no matter what. The reason for this is that a zygote has 50% DNA of its mother, and 50% DNA of its father. That means it has 100% human DNA, and abortion is the aame as killing a fully grown human or a little baby.
werdna1999

Con

A banana has about 1/3 of our same DNA, yet that doesn't stop us from eating them, and we don't consider bananas to be 1/3 human. DNA is irrelevant, monkeys have an uncanny amount of common DNA with us, yet in parts of the world it is completely legal to kill them. You say that killing a fully grown human is the same as abortion, and my reply is that you have no sources to back you up, so a statement that can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without any as well.
Joss_Whedon

Pro

Like I said, I agree with you. But, again, arguing for the sake of qrguing, my source is that only humans are 100% human, and murder is only killing your own species.
werdna1999

Con

I kind of wish you didn't agree with me :). And my response is that forcing a woman to carry a baby that eventually kills her during pregnancy is also murder. Death is a byproduct of abortion, one only tries to remove the baby from her system, if the baby can't survive on it's own, well that's kind of a shame. All abortion does is give the woman the ability to do what she wants with HER organs, HER body, if it causes a death, well that is truly unfortunate, but it is also a death when someone dies of kidney failure and nobody donates that person a kidney, it isn't murder, everybody who denied him/her a kidney aren't murderers, they just denied him/her use of THIER body.
Joss_Whedon

Pro

I do agree with you on abortion, but I think that, in some way, it is a form of murder not allowing someone to use your kidney, but only if they are compatible with very few people, and you happen to be one of them. It is sort of ike a doctor refusing to operate.
Posted by Russia_The_almighty 1 year ago
Russia_The_almighty
Merely 2% of all abortion are done because of rape,physical health of the mother, defects in the fetus, or incest.
Posted by 400spartans 1 year ago
400spartans
Now I've realized that werdna1999 and Lewis_P are very different people. (on abortion)
Posted by werdna1999 1 year ago
werdna1999
lul, i ment pregnancy in 2nd paragraph of my opening
Posted by 400spartans 1 year ago
400spartans
I feel like Lewis_P and werdna1999 are the same person. Just saying.
Posted by Lewis_P 1 year ago
Lewis_P
It's a bit of a shame that this debate is not held between people of opposing views. The arguments put forward by con are excellent and match my own position.
Posted by Joss_Whedon 1 year ago
Joss_Whedon
*developed, curse my thumbs
Posted by werdna1999 1 year ago
werdna1999
LaughitUpLydia

Apparently you can't accept message now? Anyway, I would love to debate you, of course it is ok.
Posted by LaughItUpLydia 1 year ago
LaughItUpLydia
werdna: message me. I might accept tomorrow, if that's ok!