Abortion is murder

I believe that abortion is murder

This is just the opening round, so I'll expand my arguments later

am against abortion, it is an unhealthy choice. It damages women's bodies and later on in life if they decide that they do happen to want children, there is a major possibility that they can not have a child, because of the previous damage caused from the abortion. There are many great families around the world that are willing to adopt. Murder is a crime, so shouldn't abortion also be a crime, because in both cases a life is being taken away from another person. If a murder gets the death penalty or life in prison for killing someone, why is abortion any different because of the victim's age . Many people always bring up the depressing stages they will go through, and honestly they are right to a certain extent. Although it is a fact that if the adoption parents are honest from day one about their adoption the child won't have as big of a problem with it because they won't feel lied to their entire lives. People also say that they will take their lives after being depressed for a certain amount time, well in that case that is a life lost anyways. so why not let them live a happy life and if they begin to fall into depression, then someone can get them as much help as possible, before it becomes a serious matter. There have been times that the fathers of the babies want their partners to have the babies because they will take full custody of them, but the female has an abortion anyways because it is her body, but you have to realize that it took two people to create this child. A majority of women regret it later. So, why take a life that doesn't belong to you?

Here are my opening arguments. I would like to point out that none of my opponents arguments were relevant to the resolution, they never argued that abortion should be considered as murder, they simply argued that it should be punished.

The resolution stands that abortion is murder,

Definitions from oxford dictionaries.

the unlawful premeditated killing of one human being by another:

not conforming to, permitted by, or recognized by law or rules:

think out or plan (an action, especially a crime) beforehand:

Now I will get into my opening arguments that will be based on these definitions.

Contention 1 - Unlawful

Unlawful is defined as not permitted by the law, abortion is permitted by the law, therefore it is not murder, because the definition of murder states that murder is unlawful.

Contention 2 - Killing of one human being by another

It's pretty simple here, a fetus is not a fully developed human being. The definition of a fetus states that it is - an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception. - The key words here are unborn, and more than eight weeks after conception. This means that an unborn child can't even be considered a fetus, much less a human being, until the pregnancy reaches eight weeks, up until then it is an embryo.

These are 2 pretty simple but clear arguments as to why abortion does not constitute murder. It is not unlawful, which is what murder is according to the definition, and it is not the killing of one human being by another, because a fetus/embryo is not a human being.

I now pass the ball back to my opponent.

For my rebutalls, I will go into detail of my opponents arguments.

You can't really say it's not murder because its against the law, because that's the whole point of the Pro-Life movement. To make it illegal.

My opponents 2nd argument makes 0 sense. He is saying a fetus is only a fetus after 8 weeks, but he doesn't explain how a fetus is not a human.

Ok well, my opponent has dropped all of their arguments from Round 2, and have only tried to refute my own arguments. I would like to remind voters that the BOP was on Pro, and by dropping their own arguments they pretty much dropped the debate.

DRC1 - My opponent states that "you can't really say it's not murder because it's against the law," this doesn't make sense, if it's against the law then it is murder, no one's arguing against that. I will assume that my opponent meant it's not murder because it isn't against the law. Actually you can say that it isn't murder, because this doesn't fit in with the definition of murder, which states that it is an unlawful killing.

DRC2 - Ok, so my opponent basically drops this argument. Instead of trying to prove that a fetus is a human, they simply state that I have to prove that a fetus isn't a human. I already did that, a fetus is still growing, it's not a fully developed fetus. My opponent hasn't stated anything to refute that, or shown that fetus's are considered humans under the law.

So to conclude, Pro dropped all of their own arguments, and my second one. I have shown how abortion is not murder by using it's definition and pointing out the difference.

The resolution is negated, Vote Con.

Posted by MizzEnigma 1 year ago
onslaught* Didn't know that cut out, but whateves.
Posted by MizzEnigma 1 year ago
The damage actually depends on the term. A third trimester will be more dangerous than that of the first. In the first nine weeks, complications are at 0.5%. It also depends on the health of the woman, the method being used.

"blood clots accumulating in the uterus, requiring another suctioning procedure, (less than 0.2% of cases)
"infections, most of which are easily identified and treated if the woman carefully observes follow-up instructions, (0.1%-2.0% of North American cases)
"a tear in the cervix, which may be repaired with stitches (0.6%-1.2% of cases)
"perforation (a puncture or tear) of the wall of the uterus and/or other organs (less than 0.4% of cases).
"incomplete abortion, in which tissue from the pregnancy remains in the uterus, and requires a repeat suction procedure, (0.3%-2.0% of cases)
"excessive bleeding requiring a blood transfusion (0.02%-0.3% of cases). In comparison, a woman"s risk of death during pregnancy and childbirth is ten times greater.

"failure of the medications to terminate the pregnancy (less than 2% of cases), requiring a suction procedure to complete the abortion
"incomplete expulsion of the products of conception, requiring a suction procedure to complete the abortion (occurs in less than 6% of cases)
"excessive bleeding, requiring a suction procedure, and rarely, transfusion (less than 1% of cases)
"uterine infection, requiring the use of antibiotics (0.09%-0.6% of cases)
"death secondary to toxic shock following infection with Clostridium sordellii (has occurred in less than 0.001% of cases in the US and Canada).

[] (Yeah, I know it says prochoice -> it's actually the National Abortion Federation. @bottom) Many damage cases are the result of not seeing the doctor or clinic again in an attempt to remain discreet. There are plenty of hateful people in the world that'd jump at the chance to bombard her with a verbal onslau
Vote Placed by TheQuestionMark 1 year ago