Birdizzle89
Danielle

Abortion is not murder.

Con Tied Pro

Birdizzle89

Con

My argument is that abortion is murder because you are killing a living human being. It does not matter whether the baby is out of the womb or not, but whether or not it living.
Danielle

Pro

I'd like to thank Pro for starting this debate, and wish him the best of luck in the upcoming rounds. I'd also like to point out that my opponent, the instigator, has presented no arguments, and as such I will begin by introducing several definitions followed by six arguments to begin my R1 rebuttal.

- ABORTION: The termination of a pregnancy resulting in the death of an embryo or fetus [1]
- MURDER: The crime of unlawfully killing a person, especially with malice aforethought [2]
- PERSON: The physical self or the personality of a human being [3]
- FETUS: An unborn or unhatched vertebrae; specifically: a developing human [4]

1) Very plainly, according to the definitions themselves, abortion is not murder. Murder is the crime of unlawfully killing a PERSON. A fetus or an embryo is merely a developing human being - not a person. At best, it is a *developing* person. A person and a developing person are not the same thing, and as such cannot have equal protection under the law. So, according to the very definitions themselves, abortion is not murder.

2) Murder is a crime because it infringes upon one's right to life. However, a fetus has no rights. The concept of rights is based on man's nature and presupposes the existence of an actual, fully formed and separate human being apart from the mother. Thus a fetus has no rights until it exists separate from the mother, i.e., at birth. So again, the concept of murder cannot apply to the fetus.

3) A woman has the right to choose to terminate her pregnancy. No other person or government legislation should be able to dictate what a person does with their own body. Since an embryo or fetus can be seen merely as an extension of the mother, and therefore it is the mother's property (since it is not yet its own person), then aborting an unborn fetus is actually technically just discarding one's own property - not committing murder.

4) Murdering someone implies malicious intent. There are many situations in which pregnancy can severely harm or threaten a mother's health. In those cases, if a woman chooses to end a pregnancy for her own safety or well-being, I posit that she does not necessarily have malicious intent and therefore what she is doing would not be considered murder.

5) The fundamental condition for one's survival is the freedom to use rational faculty to maintain and enjoy their life. Thus, a pregnant woman, like every other individual, has the right to determine her own destiny and the destiny of her body, to choose what constitutes her own best interest and private happiness and to work for its achievement, so long as she respects the same rights in others [5].

6) Now, of course my opponent will want to argue about when a fetus becomes an actual person and should have rights. I personally believe that abortion would be morally wrong once a fetus becomes conscious, i.e. sometime in the second or third trimester. However, having an abortion after that time would not technically constitute murder; the function of the law (i.e. declaration of murder) is to protect rights - not to dictate moral issues which involve no violation of rights.

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[4] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[5] http://www.encyclopedia.com...
Birdizzle89

Con

Birdizzle89 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Pro

Because my opponent has forfeited a round and thus ignored all of my contentions, as well as still has yet to post any arguments of his own, I'd simply like to extend my points through this round and wish my opponent good luck at coming back to present some type of case in R3.
Birdizzle89

Con

Birdizzle89 forfeited this round.
Danielle

Pro

Wow. What a great debate. Con, you've really opened my eyes.
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
Like I said, I'll debate anyone on this. I already challenged Jordan :) If you have something to say, or a relevant argument, I'd love to hear it in a debate :)
Posted by Lightkeeper 4 years ago
Lightkeeper
All votes Pro. Obvious reasons.
Posted by renreh 4 years ago
renreh
Here I am again. I will put a religous spin on this. According to the Jewish traditions Adam was not a living soul until God breathed into his nostrils. According to Jewish thought Abortion is not wrong if it endangers the life of a mother for example because the fetus has not taken in a breathe yet so it has not become a living soul. It is unlawful to kill a human living soul.
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
MTG: I thought that argument was obvious, but you're right :) Also, Jordan, abortion ISN'T murder... as I've outlined in the debate. I'll send you a challenge about it and hopefully you can/will accept :)
Posted by jordanisthebest 4 years ago
jordanisthebest
Abortion is murder. In a pregnancy, the developing embryo has a beating heart, and as the movie Juno states, is growing fingernails. So, I guess you would have to define alive, and human.

However, I still think abortion is wrong. use a condemn if you don't want to get pregnant. If you get raped, there is always adoption that you could do.
Posted by MTGandP 4 years ago
MTGandP
theLwerd, you missed the easiest argument of all -- murder is the UNLAWFUL killing of a human being. Aborton is legal. QED.
Posted by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
WW: I've defined murder in the debate as it's listed in the dictionary -- The crime of unlawfully killing a person, especially with malice aforethought. I'm also not arguing that the fetus isn't ALIVE - it certainly is - but I'm arguing that it doesn't have rights. I personally believe that rights come into play when the fetus is conscious, i.e. the 2nd or 3rd trimester. However, for the purpose of this debate, I'm going to argue the Objectivist position of abortion which is that the baby doesn't have rights until it is actually born.
Posted by Alex 4 years ago
Alex
currently it's not murder, definition wise murder is unlawful killing, and abortions are currently lawful. I believe it is murder, we shouldn't have the choice of whether or not an individual gets the chance to live. If you choose to have sex you should choose to except the cost, not kill the cost.
Posted by wonderwoman 4 years ago
wonderwoman
I guess what is considered murder? Also, what is considerable to have life or be alive?
Posted by Alex 4 years ago
Alex
Woo cheers for horrible pro abortion arguments, (not directed at yours lwerd) i just don't like any of the arguments i've heard against it from anyone
Vote Placed by Nails 4 years ago
Nails
Birdizzle89DanielleTied
Vote Placed by TheHolyTaco 4 years ago
TheHolyTaco
Birdizzle89DanielleTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 4 years ago
wonderwoman
Birdizzle89DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Lightkeeper 4 years ago
Lightkeeper
Birdizzle89DanielleTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 4 years ago
Danielle
Birdizzle89DanielleTied