inthescire
LulzCAtz

Abortion is unethical because it involves the killing of human life.

LulzCAtz has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 week ago Status: Debating Period

inthescire

Con

I will be arguing against the idea that abortion is the killing of human life, and it is therefore unethical. I will start by setting a few simple rules:
- Any disrespectful language will not be tolerated.
- Use of statistics or facts must be substantiated with evidence, with appropriate citation. Incorrect usage of a source shall be pointed out by either side.

Round 2 will be used to introduce our main arguments and points. Rounds 3 and 4 will be used to refute any points we'd like to refute. Finally, round 5 will contain our conclusion along with a brief summary of our argument. We will use this round to highlight anything important.

I set the character limit to 1000 characters for a reason. Keep your arguments brief.
LulzCAtz

Pro

Unless it's a medical necessity, or the child will live with a disability, there is no reason to have an abortion. "I can't afford it" Is not a reason. There are several private and governmental charities to help with the cost of a baby. After 8 weeks the baby has a heartbeat, (possibly thoughts) and nerves, meaning that it can feel it when you crush it's head and tear off it's legs. And the sad thing about it is that more than 92% of abortions are had after 8 weeks, and that 99%+ of women have abortions because of that, that's right, children got mutilated because the people who had sex were to stupid to wear a condom. How isn't it a living being when it has all of the qualifications for it?

http://www.cdc.gov...

I'm pretty sure that this is a reliable source.
inthescire

Con

While there are multiple charities that economically support a baby, the argument you have presented already presupposes that an "unnecessary" abortion is unethical. However, here's why you're incorrect:
- "After 8 weeks the baby has a heartbeat, (possibly thoughts) and nerves, meaning that it can feel it when you crush it's head and tear off it's legs." Yes, the baby does have a heartbeat by the eighth week. However, the very mechanisms responsible for feeling pain, the sensory receptors, are not present throughout the body of a fetus until the 20th week, the latest (http://www.doctorsonfetalpain.com...). By that time, it is unsafe for an abortion to be performed, as it can risk the life of the mother.
LulzCAtz

Pro

Actually, in your own source it says that pain can be felt between 10-17 weeks, meaning that at 10 weeks it's possible, the baby grow different parts at different times, but at the latest it is 17 weeks. But it is possible for the baby to feel it at 8 weeks, if the body focused on that but, most of the time pain can be felt between 12-15 weeks, which, as I said before is when 92% of abortions occur. But, even if what you said was true than the baby still would be a living thing, it's like a plant, the cells that make it up are alive but it does not have anything that would make it able to do the things an animal can. But, a plant cannot live on to become a doctor that cures cancer, a person that stops a huge war, a scientist that makes light speed possible.
inthescire

Con

Abortions are generally performed before the 10th week though. In fact, according to the CDC, cited by http://abort73.com..., 74.5% of all abortions are performed before the 10th week of the pregnancy. This means the odds of an abortion taking place while the baby has ANY sensory awareness is small.

Whether the baby is a living thing or not is really an argument that boils down to semantics. The definition for "alive" or "living" accepted by biologists sums it up perfectly: "being in a state in which the organs perform their functions" (http://www.biology-online.org...). If we take a look at how the organs form during fetal development, we'll see that while organs like the brain begin forming during the 5-8 week period, they aren't functional until much later in the pregnancy. In fact, one of the first organs to become fully functional is the kidney. Even so, kidneys don't start functioning until after the 13th week (www.acog.org)
LulzCAtz

Pro

Funny, because planned parenthood and the CDC released that 92% of abortions occur between 10-15 weeks, your source claims something different, yet sources it from my source and lied about what it said.

"being in a state in which the organs perform their functions" This is bogus, what about people who need life support? What about plants? What about people who don't have organs that function and are barely getting by? There organs don't function, so I guess it would be okay to shoot them.

Most of the organs are formed and are performing what they need to do by the 15th week, of course with the mother help since they are frail, and are not complete, meaning they can only do part of the job they are being formed to do.
inthescire

Con

Interestingly enough, that's not at all what your source says. It says that 91.6% of all abortions take place before 13 weeks after gestation (http://www.cdc.gov...). That was the 2013 figure. It is again reinforced in the 2012 report, where it states that 91.4% of all abortions took place before 13 weeks of gestation (http://www.cdc.gov...). You didn't accurately cite your sources now, did you?

People who use life support use life support for a reason; to replace their dysfunctional organs with machines. So yes, their organs ARE working but under the assistance of a machine. They are still "alive".

Plants may not have the same biological mechanisms as humans, but the ones they do have are still completely functional, in a plant that's alive at least. So yes, they are ALSO alive.

As for people who are missing, for example, a lung, they do get by somewhat. But when have you heard of a living person with no lungs at all?
Posted by John_C_1812 1 week ago
John_C_1812
The point is, abortion is a confession so there is no question if if is killing a human or not. What is sad is that the history of the description itself should have been the warning.
Now is a fetus a human being? Yes, when it is a woman who is making the confession. No, if it is any other mammal confessing.
Posted by ksedchelsea 1 week ago
ksedchelsea
"Now, is a fetus a human being? This seems to be the central question. Well, if a fetus is a human being, how come the census doesn"t count them? If a fetus is a human being, how come when there"s a miscarriage they don"t have a funeral? If a fetus is a human being, how come people say "we have two children and one on the way" instead of saying "we have three children?"
-George Carlin
Posted by John_C_1812 1 week ago
John_C_1812
Abortion is not the killing of human life.
Abortion is the confession to the killing of human life.

The term "confession" means any confession of guilt of any criminal offence or any self-incriminating statement made or given orally or in writing. (www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/3501)
Corpus delicti - used to describe the evidence that proves that a crime has been committed (http://legaldictionary.thefreedictionary.com...)
A term I derived as a witness Gender Specific Amputation as this term doesn"t violate the Hippocratic Oath taken by medical professionals. (Modern Version) http://guides.library.jhu.edu...)
I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligation to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But in may also be within my power to take a life: this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.
Posted by inthescire 1 week ago
inthescire
Here's the full URL for the last source in round 3: http://www.acog.org...
Posted by LulzCAtz 1 week ago
LulzCAtz
Sperm doesn't have the ability to grow into a human being.
Posted by vi_spex 1 week ago
vi_spex
a fetus has no concept of death, it has no memories
Posted by vi_spex 1 week ago
vi_spex
and dont let sperm go to waste, its genocide
Posted by inthescire 1 week ago
inthescire
@dsjpk5 Yes, but the argument is whether the fetus is alive or not. If you can prove that, you do technically win the debate.
Posted by inthescire 1 week ago
inthescire
@Hayd I kept the limit low to keep the arguments brief, it was intentional. I can settle for 2k, is that okay with you?
Posted by dsjpk5 1 week ago
dsjpk5
So if I can show it is the killing of a human life, would that automatically mean abortion is unethical?