CleverGirl
KeithChan

Abortion is wrong, but it should be soften in the case of a rape victim.

CleverGirl

CleverGirl

Con

Let me begin this argument by stating that life begins at conception. Murder is the act of taking another human"s life and abortion is nothing less than that. Abortion has become a commonly accepted idea that it is okay to take another person"s life. In my opinion, abortion can and will never be justified, except in the case of a rape victim.
Think about this: by law, no other form of harm done by one person towards another person ever go unpunished. Why should the act of killing an innocent child be treated any different?

Abortion can never be justified as another form of contraception. There are many other forms of contraception, if any is needed, but to deprive a child from its right to live should not be one of them. There is no valid reason for abortion and there are alternatives, such as adoption. There are more than enough families who"d love to adopt children, because they can"t have any children of their own. Abortion is a selfish deed, because you take away life from life. You kill an innocent child and withhold someone (who"d love to be a mother/father), from having a child that they can take care of (if you are not ready to do so yourself).

I do think there should be mitigation when it comes to victims who were raped. Rape is an act of force and if a woman should get pregnant in this case, it would be understandable for her to have an abortion, because she did not ask for it to happen, but his cannot be the argument that justifies an abortion caused by two people"s negligence to take the right precautions.

In conclusion; abortion is not just a wrong and cruel deed, but can also be extremely harmful to woman. Abortion frequently causes intense psychological pain and stress and it can also cause medical complications later in life such as the risk of ectopic pregnancies doubles, and the chance of a miscarriage and pelvic inflammatory diseases. In many cases those who choose abortions are minors or young woman with insufficient life experience to understand fully what they are doing. Many have lifelong regrets afterwards.
KeithChan

Pro

I congratulate you on a great first argument, and as this is my first debate, I am very excited.
Abortion is definitely not murder. Often, abortion is performed within the first few months of pregnancy. I agree on your statement on rape victims getting privileged to this treatment, but we can't make other people give birth just because of opinions on moral rights.

Abortion is often linked with murder, due to the fact that, yes, it is stopping a living organism. But you make it sound as if the baby knows he is being "betrayed" by his parents. The growing baby does not have enough knowledge to think complexly like this, since that kind of thinking does not come until the baby, obviously, is some years older.

Another thing I would like to point out is that some couples try not to get pregnant in the first place. For example, the male may try to get a vasectomy. This is the cutting of the Vans Deferens tube that carries the sperm to the prostate gland. In certain cases, the sperm still find their way, and impregnate the woman. If you were trying to avoid the child in the first place, I believe that you should be able to get rid of a baby and not have to deal with giving the child to adoption, or even give birth in the first place.
CleverGirl

Con

Thank you for the complement. This is my first debate as well, so let"s hope we both have a good "first experience."
You state that abortion is not murder, because "often, abortion is performed within the first few months of pregnancy." Am I correct? If this is the case, I tend to disagree with you. From as early as the third week of pregnancy the fertilized egg inside of a woman starts to grow.

The fertilized, the egg, now called a zygote, immediately closes its outer membrane to the rest of the 250 (on average) sperm that have made it this far, then it begins dividing into identical cells as it is swept down the Fallopian tube to the uterus, where it will continue to grow. (Website:http://www.babycentre.co.uk...) If this is now a growing thing, does it still mean it"s not living?

You state: "I agree on your statement on rape victims getting privileged to this treatment, but we can't make other people give birth just because of opinions on moral rights," and I think you've made a valid point. I"d just like to add that it is not the opinion of moral rights, it is common sense. People have many other forms of contraception they can use to avoid getting pregnant. How is abortion justified when a person gets pregnant, willingly?

You've made a contradiction in your argument by saying: "Abortion is often linked with murder, due to the fact that, yes, it is stopping a living organism." My question to this will then be when is abortion linked with murder in your opinion? As I stated above the fertilized egg is growing from as early as three weeks. In order for it not to be murder, you should have an abortion before that. Or I am wrong? Also, to what is your perception of life then? (Taken in context of this statement, when do you think a baby "becomes a living being"?) Also, according to you, when and/or when not, will abortion be linked to murder? By asking this question, I also need to understand what your understanding of murder is. Please elaborate this in your next argument.

In your argument you state that "if you were trying to avoid the child in the first place, I believe that you should be able to get rid of a baby and not have to deal with giving the child to adoption, or even give birth in the first place" and I think this is a very cold way of thinking. I agree with you that sometimes people do not intend to get pregnant, but they do and as I stated above there are many different forms of contraception they could use, to avoid this. Also, wouldn't giving a child up for adoption be less traumatizing for a mother, when you know you've done the best you could to give a child a good home (if you are not ready to provide this yourself), rather than feeling guilt for the rest of your life for not granting a child a chance to live?

You state that I "make it sound as if the baby knows he is being "betrayed" by his parents." By making this statement, do you feel that the baby is being betrayed? If so, then do you agree that this is a wrong act? To correct you, I didn't mean to "make it sound as if the baby knows he"s being "betrayed." I don"t think that babies to have an understanding of what is happening and I agree with your statement: "the growing baby does not have enough knowledge to think complexly like this, since that kind of thinking does not come until the baby, obviously, is some years older," but when having an abortion, you deprive a child from its right to live. You decide over the life of another human being and according to me this is murder.
KeithChan

Pro

I have to forfeit this debate for a number of reasons.
1: My opinions on abortion are quite against my argument, which makes it near impossible to fight you.
2: I just got dumped with a ton of school work and won't be able to keep up with this.
Sorry.
CleverGirl

Con

I'm sorry to hear that you have to forfeit this debate. Thank you for you contribution, though. Next time? :) Good luck with your school work.
KeithChan

Pro

KeithChan forfeited this round.
CleverGirl

Con

I'm sorry that you had to forfeit this debate. We should continue this debate at another stage if you'd like to.
KeithChan

Pro

KeithChan forfeited this round.
Posted by CleverGirl 2 years ago
CleverGirl
We should debate about this again when everyone has time :) you're more than welcome!
Posted by KeithChan 2 years ago
KeithChan
I would suggest that Clevergirl restart the argument due to my bad timing of exams. Then Anonymous could jump on it and you could enjoy the argument without interruption.
Posted by One_Anonymous_Voice 2 years ago
One_Anonymous_Voice
I wish I could have jumped in on this one. Looks like it would have been great fun.
Posted by lilimae.x 2 years ago
lilimae.x
Abortion is fine, its not killing, sometimes people make mistakes, someone people may have made a mistake by having sex and not using a condom. some people do it because of religion and family, ABORTION ISNT WRONG, NO ONE WANTS TO ABORT BABIES BUT IN SOME CASES THEY HAVE NO CHOICE.
Vote Placed by Brian123456 2 years ago
Brian123456
CleverGirlKeithChanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 2 years ago
dsjpk5
CleverGirlKeithChanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit