Da_King
Republican95

Abortion is wrong, even in medical reasons

Da_King

Pro

it is wrong to kill inocent life to save another.
Republican95

Con

I will attack my opponent's only argument:

"it is wrong to kill innocent life to save another."

This is an overly simplistic statement. This isn't always the case. If the mother's health is endangered by the presence of the child, then leaving the child in the mother would lead to two deaths. First, the mother would die because her body couldn't handle the baby, secondly the baby would die because a fetus needs a mother to survive. My aborting the baby we let it go in a painless way and let the mother continue living her life.

Da_King

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate.

I would like to define some key terms:

Kill: to deprive of life in any manner.

Innocent: free from moral wrong; without sin; pure.

Both definitions from dictionary.com

Now, I will provide an example. There are two people each in need of an organ that belongs to the other. One man needs a heart, while the other needs two kidneys. One option would be to kill the man with the heart to save the man with the kidneys. Or the opposite, kill the man with the two kidneys to save the man with the heart. Or possible switch the organs in the bodies, which would really accomplish nothing. But the last way would be to leave it alone, knowing that the end does not justify the means. I will argue that the last way is the only moral way.

"If the mother's health is endangered by the presence of the child, then leaving the child in the mother would lead to two deaths."

Just for clearfication, usually the deaths occur in labor. So it would be either the mother who dies during child birth, or it would be the fetus who dies by an abortion, to prevent the death of the mother. But again, usually both do not die. So because of this is will argue both the case in which one dies and the case in which both die.

For the case in which it is either the mother or the child who dies, but not both, this is my arguement. Who can determine which life in more important, which one should be saved? In seeing that you are Christian I will bring God into this debate. Our moral duties are constituted by the commands of a holy and loving God. Since God doesn't issue commands to Himself, He has no moral duties to fulfill. He is certainly not subject to the same moral obligations and prohibitions that we are. For example, I have no right to take an innocent life. For me to do so would be murder. But God has no such prohibition. He can give and take life as He chooses. We all recognize this when we accuse some authority who presumes to take life as "playing God." Human authorities arrogate to themselves rights which belong only to God. God is under no obligation whatsoever to extend my life for another second. If He wanted to strike me dead right now, that's His prerogative. So in order to determine which life to take, we would have to be an all knowing God.

Now for the argument in which it is either both die, or the fetus. A qoute would be good. From your debate on how abortion is morally wrong: "Abortion is a deprivation of a human's rights. To deny somebody the right to life is to deny them liberty and the pursuit of happiness, which are spoke of in the Declaration of Independence. It is a massive civil rights violation: Deny humans the right of humanity." So although the mother may die, killing the fetus would be unethical. It would be a deprivation the fetus of human rights. Even is both the fetus and the mother would die it would not be at the hand of man, but because it is God's prerogative. However, killing the fetus to save the mother would be a death at man's hand.

"My aborting the baby we let it go in a painless way and let the mother continue living her life." The fetus would feel great pain, just like any other living thing.
Republican95

Con

I will not be able to respond to this debate in the allotted time.

I'm sorry and will have to get back to you in the next round.

Have a nice weekend.
Da_King

Pro

OK. But I would like to point out that anything that my opponent adds to this debate, I can not refute.

Also, have a nice weekend.
Republican95

Con

Republican95 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by dogparktom 7 years ago
dogparktom
Da_KingRepublican95Tied
Vote Placed by A_Fellow_Debater 7 years ago
A_Fellow_Debater
Da_KingRepublican95Tied
Vote Placed by Da_King 7 years ago
Da_King
Da_KingRepublican95Tied