khalifvhasreturned
anthonyfleming

Abortion ought to be legal

anthonyfleming has forfeited round #1.

khalifvhasreturned

Pro

Hello,

After a long hiatus, I am coming back to DDO. It seems things are improving. Nonetheless, with school looming I need to sharpen my mind. The topic up for discussion is invariably a classic--

“Abortion ought to be legal”.

By abortion, we shall refer to Medline’s definition:

“Surgical abortion is a procedure that ends an undesired pregnancy by removing the fetus and placenta from the mother's womb (uterus).”[1]

My position shall be the affirmative.

I urge my opponent, please do not forfeit.

The abortion debate implicates the issues of personhood, who qualifies for legal protection, the intersection of law and morality, the weighing of autonomy against potential fetal rights and many others.

R1: Acceptance and opening remarks

R2: Opening arguments

R3: Rebuttals

R4: Further rebuttals

R5: Conclusions

Please accept only if you are a serious contestant. I look forward to a rigorous debate, thanks for engaging me in debate and good luck.

[1]https://medlineplus.gov...

Posted by khalifvhasreturned 10 months ago
khalifvhasreturned
@philochristos
I think there's an apparent disjunct between surgical and natural birth. Also, the confluence of surgical and undesired creates the sense of deliberation.

@brian.bors7 Sorry for just now answering, but ought is contentious so I was going to leave its definition as a joint venture. I do mean that abortion should be legal; I mean that affirmative legal judgment of abortion is correct. I didn't try to overtly moralize ought because the degree to which morality translates to law is even more contentious.
Posted by brian.bors7 10 months ago
brian.bors7
Hey khalifvhasreturned. Can I ask what definition of the word "ought" you are using within your statement?
Posted by philochristos 10 months ago
philochristos
"Surgical abortion is a procedure that ends an undesired pregnancy by removing the fetus and placenta from the mother's womb (uterus)."

It seems like natural child birth could be considered a"surgical abortion" by that definition.