Themeaman909
johndoethefirst

Abortion should be Legal.

Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: 7 Point

Themeaman909

Pro

I will state that abortion should be legal, but I do not believe it is right. I will explain why in my arguments next round. First round is acceptance only.
johndoethefirst

Con

I will be arguing that abortion is the killing of a human being and that due to this it should only be legal to protect another life (i.e. to prevent the death of the mother). I will flesh out my argument in the next round, but I want to be abundantly clear about my position to start, so I will explicitly state that I believe that abortion should be illegal even in cases of rape and incest , but that the President of the United States does not have the power to invoke the 14th (or any other) Amendment to make abortion illegal and that the action of making abortion illegal could only be taken (legally) by the Supreme Court (in a ruling that overturns Roe v. Wade). That being said, I would like to remind everyone of the wording of the Resolution that Abortion *should* be legal, so I will not go into the legal methods for doing so unless pressed, and will focus mainly on the idealistic and pragmatic implications of the legality (or illegality) of abortion.
Themeaman909

Pro

As you may have seen in the intro, I do not think abortion is fair, but the mother still has the right to carry it out safely in a hospital establishment. In cases where the mother's life is endangered from pregnancy, abortion may be necessary. You stated this as an exception in your argument, so I will not go into detail. If it was illegal, then women would go to black markets to get abortions, and this could be a big problem.

"While there is very little relationship between abortion legality and abortion incidence, there is a strong correlation between abortion legality and abortion safety. Estimates of the number of illegal abortions in the United States during the 1950s and 1960s range from 200,000 to 1.2 million per year. Prior to Roe v. Wade, as many as 5,000 American women died annually as a direct result of unsafe abortions." http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org...

The statistics tell us what the problem has escalated to. If it was illegal all around, than think of how much this problem would go up by! The website also gives plenty of points that can be supportive to my argument.

I don't think that the baby should have to die, but sometimes it must be done for the better. If a mother gets an abortion, they might not want to care for a child. If they are forced to care for the child, than it will be abused and neglected most likely, and that would be horrible.

Technically the fetus is alive inside of the womb, but it still depends on the mother for survival. The fetus doesn't decide what the mother can and cannot do, and thus it is still her decision to make. Although it may become a human with a flourishing life, this is unlikely if the mother does not want to care for a child. As I stated above, it will be abused and neglected by the uncaring parents. It would be best to just give it up for adoption (which has many issues as I will state later), or to abort the pregnancy.

Adoption is definitely an option for parents, but we have to think if the child will be happy at all or if it will cause the mother life threatening problems during birth. If the practice was illegalized, than the orphan population would rocket up because so many parents who wanted to abort but couldn't, had to instead give them up for adoption. So many children would remain parent less for life, and wouldn't this be horrible when compared to just getting rid of a fetus before it could start a suffering life?

Abortion is still considered immoral by myself, but I think that the only other option is allowing more mothers to die, and to make several children become homeless for very long or life. In a reality perspective, making it stay legal would be the best, but not necessarily a good option. It is one of those problems you simply can't get around.
johndoethefirst

Con

johndoethefirst forfeited this round.
johndoethefirst

Con

johndoethefirst forfeited this round.
Themeaman909

Pro

Themeaman909 forfeited this round.
johndoethefirst

Con

johndoethefirst forfeited this round.
Themeaman909

Pro

Themeaman909 forfeited this round.
johndoethefirst

Con

johndoethefirst forfeited this round.