epicmaster1234
hutt4life

Abortion should be illegal (except in special cases)

epicmaster1234

Pro

I believe that abortion should be illegal, excluding special cases.

To clarify these special cases: Rape, Incest, or danger to the life of the mother

I am only talking about surgical abortion. Natural abortion within the first 8-10 weeks is acceptable.

Rape and incest abortions should not be allowed past the 2nd trimester. Danger to the life of the mother should always be allowed.
hutt4life

Con

Given that your initial argument lacked a single warrant for why you believe abortion is illegal (e.g. does it violate some religious beliefs? moral beliefs? is it scientifically unjustified?), I guess I'll start with why I think abortion should always be an option.

Before I begin, however, I'm glad we can agree that there are certain cases in which abortion is permissible - rape and incest being two of them. Since we both agree on that, the debate can be focused on less extreme cases.

First, lets examine the structure of a pregnancy, and how responsibility is divided. When a man and a woman participate in intercourse, two parties are involved. Yet when a baby is born, there is only one participant undergoing the risk. In third world countries, according to the Population Reference Bureau, in 2002, half of the 120 million women who underwent a pregnancy suffered a serious complication, and between 15 and 20 million suffered a more lasting harm including, but not limited to, anemia, damage to reproductive and nervous system organs, and infertility. Now lets compare the damage to men: in every comparable study, the amount of men damaged by a pregnancy? None. The amount of men suffering any lasting bodily damage due to a miscarriage or difficult labor? None. The amount of men who are physically disabled or damaged permanently? Absolutely none. Now, in developed countries, the risk is less, but still significant - women can suffer anything from permanent, chronic pain to death. The risk for men? Still nothing. Thus, the question becomes: who has the right to decide whether to undertake that risk? Should it be the partner who undergoes no risk? Should it be the people standing by, who also undergo no risk? The answer is, quite obviously, that the choice should be that of the person undertaking the risk.

Now, you may say "Well look here, men have to pay things like child support, so clearly pregnancies aren't a "walk away" issue". You would be absolutely correct. SOME men do indeed have to pay child support. But lets do a comparison.

Men who walk away from a child:
-pay child support

Women who give birth to a child, who then has to raise it:
-work jobs to support the child
-feed, bathe, clothe, comfort, educate, and care for the child
-invest far more of their money than what they're receiving in child support

Sound like a fair trade to you? I didn't think so.

Now, floundering a bit, you may say "Well women can also choose to walk away from a child after its born, just give it to foster care!"

Well, referencing the statistics I cited above, many women don't even get to just walk away from a child birth - many walk away with severe, lasting harm, and some don't even walk away at all. But lets say you ignore that, and in your self righteousness, you insist that both parents are able to walk away. Do you even realize what you're saying? You're throwing the child away and putting it into a state sponsored shelter, where in all likelihood they'll get involved in some form of gang, substance abuse, or mental damage. The child will grow up knowing that neither of their parents wanted it - it was an inconvenience. The child will, in all likelihood, suffer a life of crippling poverty, because escaping the state system through any means other than prison is almost impossible (evidenced by the ever growing numbers of children in foster cares). And, perhaps even more importantly, the child will be permanently mentally scarred - not only will it know that neither of its parents wanted it, it will also lack the one on one relationship that parents can provide. Who will it go to when its having trouble asking a girl out? Who will it go to when it has a bully at school, but doesn't want to seem weak by telling the teacher? Who will it go to when its pressured by peers to take narcotics, and it doesn't know how to say no?

At this point, you probably are on your last legs, and will say something like "well at least the child has a CHANCE to live, if its not aborted"

Well a. thats not true, because miscarriages happen. and b. lets say you're correct. Let me do a little math for you:

(high probability that a child lives) * (high probability that an orphan will end up impoverished or within the prison system) = high chance you're giving birth to a child who will live a life of suffering

(high probability that a child lives) * (very low probability they escape the system) = minuscule chance you give birth to a child who will succeed

Now, its easy to say "Well its still SOME chance". But thats speaking from your life of not suffering these conditions. Thats speaking from the privileged perspective of someone who has the wealth and privilege to be able to type letters on a computer screen, without worrying where their next meal will come from. This is not a personalized attack on you - its a simple statement of fact. Instead of abstracting yourself from abortion, try putting your shoes in the people involved, and have some empathy.
epicmaster1234

Pro

epicmaster1234 forfeited this round.
hutt4life

Con

Given that my opponent has forfeited their round, they have neither refuted my points nor defended their own. Thus, I don't really see any purpose in making further arguments, until they choose to actually engage in the debate.

It seems a clear reason to vote for the negative given the concessions of the affirmative.
epicmaster1234

Pro

epicmaster1234 forfeited this round.
hutt4life

Con

Once again, my opponent appears to have forfeit the debate. If you'd like a refresher on my arguments, feel free to reread them from the previous rounds. In total, there appears no other way but to vote for me, given that my opponent has literally conceded the debate.

Should he return for later rounds, and actually respond to my position and defend his own, I would be happy to engage him.

As a reminder, you should judge the debate not by your own preconceived opinions, but rather based on who has won the round. Given that my opponent has forfeit his rounds, it seems reasonable to vote for me.
epicmaster1234

Pro

epicmaster1234 forfeited this round.
hutt4life

Con

hutt4life forfeited this round.
epicmaster1234

Pro

epicmaster1234 forfeited this round.
hutt4life

Con

hutt4life forfeited this round.
Posted by REDtrojan 1 year ago
REDtrojan
I do agree abortion should be illegal but allowed in special cases that mostly have to do with whether the mother lives or dies. The challenger gives some good points on to why abortion shouldn't be illegal, which in an overall view is because of the suffering of the mother, and while i do sympathize with ladies and the threat of rape and other situations, but can you tell me what Reason is good enough to kill off another person. And at what point in the stage of human life do we consider it less worthy of our protection and notice that we can make that decision . Technology has given us too much responsability of which i feel we are not ready to handel. I wish i was doing the dabate with you.
Posted by srhelsel609 1 year ago
srhelsel609
Totally agree with pro.abortion is murder