1dustpelt
wmpeebles

Abortion should be illegal.

wmpeebles

1dustpelt

Pro

Abortion should be illegal.
Rules:
Forfeit, you lose.
No trolling, spamming, etc.

Now I shall argue.
I will only give one argument now so I can save stuff for later.
1. If the woman does not want a baby, she should not have gotten pregnant, so it is her fault she wants abortion. It is not her right to kill the baby because she decided to get pregnant herself.

Now I will wait for someone to accept.
wmpeebles

Con

Thank you for allowing me to accept this debate. I will be arguing that abortion should be legal.

Definitions:
Abortion: the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus.

Rebuttal 1: My opponent states that a person who wants an abortion shouldn't have gone out an gotten pregnant in the first place. By my opponent has yet to explain what's so wrong with getting an abortion because of an accidental pregnancy. There's no basis for her argument.

The argument is also flawed. Some women are forced to have a baby due to being raped. Telling this woman she cannot get an abortion is wrong because she did not have any say in the matter to get pregnant. It would also force the raped person to live with a condition she was not prepared for. Termination of a fetus should be acceptable in this case.

I will start the rest of my debate in Round 2. Good luck, 1dustpelt, may this debate serve to be an informative one and I hope to learn a lot by researching the topic.
1dustpelt

Pro

Hello, thank you for accepting. Hopefully, this will be a fun debate, I am working on my debating skills.
"Rebuttal 1: My opponent states that a person who wants an abortion shouldn't have gone out an gotten pregnant in the first place. By my opponent has yet to explain what's so wrong with getting an abortion because of an accidental pregnancy. There's no basis for her argument.

The argument is also flawed. Some women are forced to have a baby due to being raped. Telling this woman she cannot get an abortion is wrong because she did not have any say in the matter to get pregnant. It would also force the raped person to live with a condition she was not prepared for. Termination of a fetus should be acceptable in this case."
I forgot to add something in my first post. Rape should be an exception. Otherwise, abortion should be illegal. Because rape is already illegal, I forgot to add the exception. There are many cases these days in which women get pregnant without getting raped, and they still want abortion. This is unfair, it is the woman's fault and she is killing the baby.

"There's no basis for her argument."
For your information, I am a male person.

With that said, I will wait for my opponent to argue and I will build off of my opponent's arguments.
wmpeebles

Con

I am going to be using the argument that rape should be an exception against my oponent now that my opponent has agreed that a woman should be able to have an abortion if she is raped.

What is the value of life?
When you consider people in life, you rank people by their importance to you. For example, you would not want one of your family members to die. But you also don't want other people you don't know to die either if they haven't done anything wrong. You'd like to think that you want everybody to have the same chance at life. But if one of two people got terminal cancer, you would most likely want the person you don't know to get cancer over one of your family members. This illustrates the fact that people value the lives of some people more than the lives of other people. You can say that everybody should have an equal chance at life, but when you go through this thought experiment, you actually put a higher value on the lives of some people than you do on others.

Let's consider abortion. My opponent in the second round clarified that people who are raped should be able to have an abortion. But take a look at the fetus. The fetus knows very little of anything inside the womb. The fetus does not know if it was the product of a rape, a product of marital sex, or the product of two teenagers messing around. But my opponent in this debate says that a fetus isn't worth as much as the mother if the mother was raped. The value of life in this case in unequal because the mother still maintains her right to life while the fetus is denied the right to life.

But what's so wrong with getting an abortion if two teens were screwing around and they have the financial capacity to pay for an abortion? Is the value of life for the innocent fetus suddenly greater than the value of the life of a fetus produced under rape? If it's right for the killing of a fetus produced under rape, why are you suddenly saying it's wrong for the killing of a fetus produced under consensual sex? We are deciding the action to have or not to have an abortion not based on the fetus' right to life, but an action based on how the fetus was conceived. Therefore, the value of the baby's life doesn't really matter when deciding an abortion because if it did, my opponent would be arguing that abortion should be illegal even when the fetus was conceived under rape, incest, or other forms of non-consensual sex. If all fetuses are substantially equal to another, they should have all the same rights, but if the fetus doesn't have a say to the right to life in being raped, how should the fetus suddenly have the right to life if it was conceived under consensual sex?

The fact is that my opponent in saying that arbortion should only be legal under rape, doesn't really care if an innocent baby is killed because the method for determining whether or not the fetus is aborted is dependent on the way a baby was conceived.

Then why should abortion be illegal for people wanting one if the life of the fetus in a rape case can easily be terminated? The life of the fetus shouldn't mean a whole lot in any abortion case. Because of this I don't see why abortion can't be a legal option for all pregnant women. I await my opponent's response.

1dustpelt

Pro

Let me address my opponent's points.
"Let's consider abortion. My opponent in the second round clarified that people who are raped should be able to have an abortion. But take a look at the fetus. The fetus knows very little of anything inside the womb. The fetus does not know if it was the product of a rape, a product of marital sex, or the product of two teenagers messing around. But my opponent in this debate says that a fetus isn't worth as much as the mother if the mother was raped. The value of life in this case in unequal because the mother still maintains her right to life while the fetus is denied the right to life."
So now you are arguing against abortion? You have took the CON position, thus you must for abortion because you want abortion to be legal. I am saying rape should be an exception because if not, it would be like forcing someone to get pregnant and have a baby. How fair is that? Nobody can be forced to have a baby.

"But what's so wrong with getting an abortion if two teens were screwing around and they have the financial capacity to pay for an abortion?"
It is the mother's fault for getting pregnant, therefore, abortion should be denied to her. They should have known better, it's there fault. They would never learn their lesson if abortion was an option to them. Women should have the right to control there own body, but they did control their own body by having sexual intercourse and causing the pregnancy, thus, abortion should be illegal to people who caused the pregnancy themselves. If they did not want a baby, they should not have gotten pregnant. It is that simple.

"Why are you suddenly saying it's wrong for the killing of a fetus produced under consensual sex?"
Because they chose to get pregnant themselves, they caused it themselves, and now they want abortion?

I am saying rape should be an exception because if not, it would be like forcing someone to get pregnant and have a baby. How fair is that? Nobody can be forced to have a baby.

My opponent's argument is that abortion should be legal for all women, even if they willingly caused the pregnancy. My opponent argues that even if a woman willingly got pregnant, abortion should be illegal. That is illogical because the woman could have avoided all the trouble by simply not getting pregnant! They decided to get pregnant, they should bear the result of their actions.

I look forward to seeing my opponent's response.

wmpeebles

Con

In the previous round, I was not arguing for making abortion to be illegal, I was arguing that since my opponent made the statement that rape should be the only exception to abortion, my opponent could not argue that fetuses have the right to life since he would be nulling that right by allowing the decision of abortion to rest in the hands of mothers who were raped.

So far my opponent has not provided a single argument to why abortion should be illegal. What is wrong with abortion? My opponent hasn't said anything wrong about abortion to justify making it illegal.

If there's nothing wrong with abortion, I don't see why it should be outlawed.
1dustpelt

Pro

1dustpelt forfeited this round.
wmpeebles

Con

Well I don't know what to say. My opponent made 0 arguments backing up his stance that arbortion should be illegal. And the fact that he made it clear that if you "forfeit, you lose" it essentially means I have "won" the debate according to the terms my opponent made in creating the debate. Aside from that, I will let the voters choose who won the debate, but I think it's pretty obvious. Vote Con.
Posted by RandomName 4 years ago
RandomName
I think abortion should be illegal. Women should kill their babies naturally withcigarettes and tequila.

That's sarcastic, in case you were too smart to notice
Posted by 1dustpelt 4 years ago
1dustpelt
lol, it's okay, everyone makes mistakes. Like I forgot to mention rape as an exception. Rape should be an exeption.
Posted by wmpeebles 4 years ago
wmpeebles
This is what a lack of sleep does: "There's no basis for her argument.", meant to say "your argument". And then I tried to write "And", but wrote "an".

Lol, sorry. :)
Vote Placed by TUF 4 years ago
TUF
1dustpeltwmpeeblesTied
Reasons for voting decision: due to forfeit