Bellatrix1
Adam2

Abortion should be illegal

Bellatrix1

Bellatrix1

Con

I am pro-choice. Please use first round just to agree to the debate
Note- this is my first debate so I apologize in advanced for any errors I make, feel free to point them out in the comments.
Adam2

Pro

Bellatrix1

Con

Legal abortion is needed to protect women's health, is justifiable in certain circumstances, and it is a woman's right to choose to abort a fetus. A fetus cannot feel pain until the 26th week

Legalizing abortion protects women's health

I don't disagree that abortion, in most cases, is morally wrong. However when abortion is illegal it is dangerous to the health of the woman due to back-alley abortions. Whether abortion is legal or not women will abort the fetus if they choose to. This is the most important reason abortion needs to remain legal because making it illegal changes nothing except more desperate women will die from their abortions. The fetus will be terminated either way but illegal abortions are unsanitary and incredibly dangerous in most cases while legal abortions are generally safe.

Rape, incest, or danger to the mother

In certain cases abortion is the only option if delivering the child is dangerous to the mother. Other times, rape may be the reason the mother is unwilling to deliver the fetus. Nobody should be able to force a woman to carry the unwanted fetus and go through painful, sometimes dangerous, delivery. There are many reasons women need an abortion and it should only be used as a last resort, but sometimes it must be done.

Women's rights

Abortion is, in the majority of cases, morally wrong in my opinion seeing as birth control is so readily available and putting a child up for adoption is an option. I want to make it very clear I am totally against late term abortion! But the woman should be able to choose in the early stages of pregnancy if the woman sees no other option.

Consciousness in the fetus

Abortion should only be legal within the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, or the first trimester. 88% of abortions take place within this time frame. (I would prefer not to debate over the other 12% as I agree that it should be illegal) The first stages of consciousness begin to develop around 12-16 weeks with the development of thalamic afferents to the cortex but at this stage almost nothing from the thalamus can reach the cortex. The brain cannot sense pain until about 29 weeks but it can receive visual and auditory information at about 24 weeks. Suffering to the fetus cannot be a factor in early abortions because the fetus cannot feel pain.

http://www.prochoiceamerica.org...
http://www.nature.com...
http://abortion.procon.org...
Adam2

Pro

Damn, I concede. I'm not ready for this debate.
Bellatrix1

Con

Wait do we still have to post something in the rest of the arguments so it can be judged or will it eventually be scored later? I need to have a few debates voted on so I can join other people's debates. (I keep getting messages saying I do not match the age/rank to accept a challenge). Either way, thanks for being my first opponent :) I had fun coming up with an argument.
Adam2

Pro

Yes, so just post now
Posted by Bellatrix1 2 years ago
Bellatrix1
Hey if anyone wants to debate me on this issue I would like to try the rest of the debate. Currently I am about to go on a trip but if anybody wants to challenge me next week I would love to accept. (I'm still new and I want to try a rebuttal)
Posted by Gogert777 2 years ago
Gogert777
Oh man, I don't know if I should be for or against abortion. On one side, its really messed up, but on the other, there are circumstances. IDK
Posted by PlumberGirl123 2 years ago
PlumberGirl123
IT IS OUR RIGHT TO DO WHAT WE WANT WITH OUR BODIES!!!! Do not try to take that freedom away. If men could get pregnant there would be abortion clinics around every corner and they would be more popular then Wal-Mart. Yes people see a cute little baby face but abortion is a woman"s choice and she is aware of the results and effects so stop trying to make it seem like we are doing/supporting something 'shameful'. A woman should not be ashamed for having sex and getting pregnant whether it was unplanned or not.

oGov. already is way too controlling/involved.
oWomen would"ve rather died trying to have an abortion rather then go through with the pregnancy.
oUs women will find a way to abort a fetus whether its legal or not. Therefore, its safer/healthier to keep it legal.
oA lot of kids who have been adopted get mistreated, abused, molested, raped, depressed, etc. (state story examples)
oAbortions give more jobs. (Abortionists, people making appointments, running supplies, etc.)

giving birth isnt as easy as it sounds. why would someone get a flappy vagina and saggy stomach just to have a kid that they are gonna give up for adoption anyways?! its totally not worth it. Abortion is the best option ever
Posted by PlumberGirl123 2 years ago
PlumberGirl123
The fetus does not comprehend what is happening, it is still is the females womb. I highly doubt you would go to a pregnant lady's stomach and say "would you like to be aborted?" It barely knows anything; its eyes are still closed. One thing that is messed up is that people THINK the fetus is not part of the mothers body... are you crazy?! It doesn"t matter whether it has different DNA!!! It wouldn"t even live if it didn"t have the mother"s body caring for it! The fetus is connected to the mother"s body, it takes care of it until it is out of the womb and the umbilical cord is cut. Another thing that i hear often is "if you don"t want a baby, then stop doing it". Let"s go straight to reality here and say no one would stop doing it! Yes you use condoms and birth control but ABORTION HAS THE SAME FINAL/END RESULT/GOAL AS CONDOMS AND BIRTH CONTROL. THAT IS TO NOT HAVE A BABY! Yes birth control and condoms help prevent you from getting pregnant but it also have the end result goal which is not to have a baby. I am so happy abortion has been legal for 40 years... It shouldve been more but hey 40 years isnt too bad right? Approximately 55 million fetuses have been aborted since abortion became legal. Some people do not understand that it is better to have abortion be legal so pregnant women can abort their babies safely. I would rather have hundreds of abortion clinics rather than hundreds of women dieing from using the coat hanger method also known as the back alley method. So many women were dieing because they did not want a baby. Why force someone to give birth to a baby they don"t want?! Don"t force someone against their will to take care of a kid. There are so many reasons to have an abortion. Yes rape and incest is a very good reason.. but there are other reasons like over population, poverty, illnesses, unwanted, inconvenience and much more. It could ruin a marriage, relationship, and life. However, how, why, and when we got pregnant is not important! IT IS OUR RI
Posted by PlumberGirl123 2 years ago
PlumberGirl123
ABORTION IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING THINGS OUT THERE!!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. A woman has her body and with that body comes rights! A lot of people call pro-choicers "baby killers" or "Satan worshippers". However that is not the case with us. It is our bodies and if we don"t want to carry a fetus then we don"t have to. Abortion gives women hope in life and there is many reasons why I say that.. Which you will find out if you keep reading this. IF YOU ARE PRO-LIFE, then don"t get abortions....simple as that. If you are a boy then you have nothing to worry about. So many people say "Put it up for adoption". That is the woman's choice. Personally if I was pregnant and didn"t want to have a baby I would choose abortion over adoption. One reason is because of over population. There are way too many humans in this world and its still expanding as we speak! The more humans there are, the less resources we have. Also, there is a high number of unemployed. I would not want my kid in that situation. My second reason is because when if I was ever to have kids then I will have them when I am ready. I will NOT give mine up for adoption, knowing they are alive and I am not there to take care of them. So If I was ever to have kids then I would be their provider..not put them in adoption, wondering when they will be adopted or not. My kid would wonder why I out it up for adoption, if I am thinking about them, if i loved them, etc. ANOTHER thing people say is "What about the 'baby's choice?"..what about it? It has no say.. The reason why it has no say is because the mother has the say. When you were born and a little kid, who had the final say?..Your Mother/Father. Who took you to school and put on your clothes and said whether you could hang out with your friends or not?..Your parents did that. You were not the one making choices until you grew much older near the age of 18. So again...the fetus does not have a say. The fetus does not comprehend what is happeni
Posted by YamaVonKarma 2 years ago
YamaVonKarma
A nine year old's body would be put under severe strain if impregnated. If the baby was allowed to be born, the mother's life could be put in jeopardy. Along with the other numerous health risks, the fetus would not likely survive anyway.
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
It's not the child's fault.
Posted by Epickid134 2 years ago
Epickid134
Imagine if you got raped, and you were 9. Do you think you'd want a baby? No! It should be illegal under some circumstances, but A baby Is a lot to take care of. It's not like you just go get pregnant and have a baby HAHAHA LOOK AT ME I HAVE CHILDREN! No, abortion should not be illegal because without it, nine year olds being raped would have no way out of having a child.
Posted by Adam2 2 years ago
Adam2
Agreed, but I'm gonna have to get hard facts to support
I don't want to be thought of as someone who blindly follows a belief
Posted by Dilara 2 years ago
Dilara
Abortion should be illegal-like other forms or murderer is.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Bellatrix1Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: concession
Vote Placed by Gogert777 2 years ago
Gogert777
Bellatrix1Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: I don't like IceClimbers
Vote Placed by Manastacious 2 years ago
Manastacious
Bellatrix1Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by IceClimbers 2 years ago
IceClimbers
Bellatrix1Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: you nailed it !
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Bellatrix1Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession.
Vote Placed by Cold-Mind 2 years ago
Cold-Mind
Bellatrix1Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conceded.
Vote Placed by phantom 2 years ago
phantom
Bellatrix1Adam2Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession