DATXDUDE
LatinaGirl8894

Abortion should be illegal

DATXDUDE

DATXDUDE

Pro

Devils advocate debate. First round is acceptance.

I will provide the definition of abortion.

Abortion -A medical procedure intentionally causing the death of a fetus.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

I accept this debate. Look forward to what my opponent has to say.
DATXDUDE

Pro

Abortion should be illegal for the following reasons:

C1:

The mother has lived her life.

A fetus hasn't experienced life yet, and the mother of a fetus has. Picture life as a toy. It isn't fair to give a toy to one child and nothing to another child. Thus, killing a fetus, even if carrying a fetus to term could potentially could kill the mother, is not fair to the fetus because the fetus hasn't had a chance to live.

C2:

Adoption centers.

A common argument for people who are pro choice is that people who get abortions are sometimes very poor. Preventing a mother from killing a baby would supposedly lead to a baby having a horrible quality of life. However, this is obviously false because statistics show that there is a high demand for adoption in the USA, and throughout the world. Killing the fetus would prevent a couple from having the joy of raising a child and it would murder an innocent organism.

Statistics for adoption:

http://liveactionnews.org...

C3:

The fetus is, in fact, a conscious organism. You don't have to go to Harvard to know that cells are the basic unit of life. A fetus is made up of cells, so it is alive. It has been proven, in fact, that a fetus can feel pain before the third trimester, and a fetus has brain activity long before then.

Statistics for fetus consciousness:

http://www.mccl.org...

Back to Con. Good luck.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

If a women gets taken advantage of then why should we make her have a baby that clearly was not supposed to be brought into the world that way?

Birth control (contraceptive) failure. Over half of all women who have an abortion used a contraceptive method during the month they became pregnant. If they are using a contraceptive then they are not planning on having a baby at that time. They might not be able to take care of a child at that time, or they just don"t want to have kids at all.

"For some that believe that abortion is the easy way out, women who have actually had an abortion say that the opposite is, in fact, the case. Believing that it is not fair or right to bring a child into their lives knowing that they were not financially or emotionally ready to be a parent was the right thing to do by the child " even though it was a painful and difficult decision for the woman... one that will be with her for the rest of her life."

Not all women make this decision easily as is stated above. This is probably hardest thing that will ever happen to a woman in her life. She will have to live with that decision all the time and wonder what would have happened if she had given birth to the child and what their life would have been like.

If the pregnancy is going to threaten the mother"s life then they should absolutely try and keep the mother alive first and foremost. For example: ectopic pregnancies are very life threatening for the mother and the baby is not going to live for more than a few weeks in the womb anyway. In this instance I think that having an abortion is the right choice. You can still have a baby after you have an abortion, but in this instance if you had not had one the mother would not live long enough to have another baby. They are extremely dangerous pregnancies that should not go on.
DATXDUDE

Pro

You didn't organize any of your contentions.

Nevertheless, I will refute your arguments

Abortion in cases of rape: I already explained this in my second contention, but I will restate that a mother does not have to raise a child she doesn't want to raise. If your statement is simply about making a woman having the baby of a man who raped her, this argument is also flawed because the baby is not responsible for the rape.

Contraceptive failure: Yes, contraceptives do sometimes fail. However, instead of killing an innocent baby, we can educate people on how to use contraceptives properly. An example of this would be telling people to check condoms to make sure they aren't broken.

I'm not sure what Con's third argument is. They just quoted a statement with no sources and explained that women don't want to have abortions. I have already provided an alternative: Adoption.

Regarding your fourth argument, I explained in my first contention why the life of a baby is more important than the life of the mother.

Back to Con.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

LatinaGirl8894 forfeited this round.
DATXDUDE

Pro

I extend all arguments.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

In the instance of rape, I see no reason why the women should have the baby knowing how that baby came to be. I understand that it is not the babies fault, but the mother will be constantly reminded of what happened and I do not think that she wants to carry that around with her for the next nine months or so.

There is plenty of education contraceptives and yet women are still getting pregnant anyway. Knowledge is not always a good thing.

Adoption is not for everyone, some people are simply not strong enough to go through with it.

Yes a baby has not yet had the chance to live, but I fail to see how that means that their life is more important than that of the mother.
DATXDUDE

Pro

COUNTER REBUTTAL:

Instances of rape: The the child of a rape victim doesn't have to know that his/her mother was raped. If a baby is adopted, the parents raising the child of a rape victim don't have to know that this is the case. If the adoptive parents don't know this was how the baby was brought into the world, than it it unlikely that the child will ever find out.

However, even if the child does somehow find out that he/she was born as the result of a rape, this knowledge won't necessarily damage the child's future. Where a person has been doesn't have to dictate where they go in life. The same thing applies to rape victims.

Education on contraceptives: There actually isn't enough education on contraceptive use, and this is partially why there is a high rate of teen pregnancies. Con goes on to say that, "Knowledge is not always a good thing." I have absolutely no clue of what they mean by this.

Adoption: If a woman is strong enough to kill her child, she should be strong enough to give it away if she can't afford to raise it.

Importance of the baby's life: I went over this in my first contention, but I will restate my argument again:

It isn't fair to give the mother of a baby a chance to live and to kill the fetus before it can fully appreciate life.

Back to Con.
LatinaGirl8894

Con

Killing the mother just so that baby has a chance to live is not fair either. If the baby will threaten the mothers life by being born than the mother should get to live. Keeping the baby just so that they can have a chance to live seems selfish. What about the mother?
Posted by Cnlso 1 year ago
Cnlso
Let me preface my comment by saying I am absolutely not some religious zealot. In fact, I am much the opposite.

To me, it is very simple. If you do not do this thing, a human being will be born. So, you have to do something to stop the cycle of life, which begins at conception. You have to accept this even if you don't believe that actual life doesn't start at conception. If you stop this cycle it could be said that you have killed life. In this case you have killed the life cycle of a human being, even if it is the beginning of the cycle of life. And when we do this to a human, we call it murder. There is no other way to look at it, unless you have a mechanism to explain how a human would not result without the destruction of the fetus.

The other argument I often hear is that a woman should have the right to do to their body whatever they wish. I believe that also. However, we are not talking about their body. After all, it is not their body that gets torn limbs first, then torso by a high power vacuum. It also isn't their head that gets crushed, then sucked out the same way. They are simply the incubator. It's the unborn's body we are talking about.
Vote Placed by The_Gatherer 1 year ago
The_Gatherer
DATXDUDELatinaGirl8894Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro fails to fulfill his burden of proof, instead stating personal opinion. Pro makes many inaccurate statements when attempting to rebut Con's case. Con attempts to prove her case with valid points which Pro entirely fails to attempt to address. Pro argued from purely opinion / emotional basis and did not address the facts.
Vote Placed by 1Historygenius 1 year ago
1Historygenius
DATXDUDELatinaGirl8894Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct to Pro for Con's FF in one round. Pro is the only one who used sources. Pro went into more detail than Con with his arguments and Con wasn't organized well. Often Con's arguments weren't very strong and quite brief.
Vote Placed by chrisjachimiak 1 year ago
chrisjachimiak
DATXDUDELatinaGirl8894Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con could never seem to focus his arguments into contentions. He left his arguments all willy nilly. Pro organized, convincing arguments and had better conduct. Points to pro.