annka
KonstanBen

Abortion should be illegal

KonstanBen

annka

Pro

An abortion should be illegal everywhere. All abortion clinics should be closed. I think there have been too many abortion during all years and I think nobody is happy. Not even women and girls who have had an abortion. After abortions girls and women feel lonely and left out. They feel like nobody understand them and other people think that they are murders. I think one of the big problems is that people are not talking that much about abortions and it is time to talk about it.
KonstanBen

Con

Accepted.
This speech will start with my case and then move on to my rebuttal.

Case:

Argument 1: reproductive coercion
Pregnancies aren't always because of mistakes. reproductive coercion is the idea of forced pregnancies inflicted upon women. This is a common trend in the U.S. [1] In the case of an unwanted pregnancy, women deserve the right to undo what was done that could be harmful to them. Denying them that right is simply enhancing the patriarchy that is our society. In the case where they can't survive the pregnancy, this is effectively murdering the women.

Argument 2: Racism
Five times as many blacks in the US abort than whites. Any action against abortion is an act of racism [2] By denying a choice that is taken primarily by black individuals, it is effectively enforcing institutional racism, whites denying a choice that is primarily used by blacks.

Argument 3: Killing a human being.xx
A fetus is not a human being. Google definitions defines human being as having qualities such as "superior mental development, power of articulate speech" [3]. Killing human being is awful. However, not aborting can result in a mother's death and this is not killing a human being. Since babies do not posses the power of articulate speech, they are not human beings. The aborting mothers, however, are human, and so killing them instead of aborting is much worse.

Rebuttal:
There are a number of broad problems to look at first before going into the details.

Response 1: sourcing
My opponent has notably few (no) sources. This means that his arguments are baseless claims and carry no weight in this debate.
Response 2: assumptions
Going along with the lack of sourcing, my opponent is making assumptions about people and giving them a voice they don't necessarily want. This is most obvious when my opponent talks about how the women and girls feel. By just assuming how these people feel, my opponent is effectively dehumanizing them.

Op argument 1: women and girls feel lonely and left out because of abortion.
Response 1: choice
Without arguing whether or not the statement is true, there is a clear fault with the argument. The women deserve the choice. If the pregnancy could hurt them, they deserve the choice to abort. Completely outlawing abortion leaves no room for unique and important circumstances.
Response 2: beneficial
My opponent has shown no reason for the girls to feel that way, therefore this is a baseless claim.

Op argument 2: women are made to feel bad about it
response:
This is a problem not with abortion, but with society. If a girl is forced to feel bad about herself for aborting, society is the thing at fault. Girls should be able to abort without society making them feel bad about it. Don't get rid of abortion, fix society,

For the above reasons, I negate the resolution.

[1] http://www.care2.com......
[2] http://www.theatlantic.com......
[3]https://www.google.com...
annka

Pro

Of course not always women get pregnancy because of the mistakes, but still do not forget that fact that there are many other cases. Three most used reasons for abortion are inadequate finances, not ready for responsibility or woman"s life would be changed too much. I agree with point that there are cases where abortion is the best choice, but there are less this kind of cases then cases about which girls after regret. Girls often regret it when they grow up and they understand that they want to have a child, but they cannot because of the abortion which they did when they were young. There are a lot of these cases.

Abortion damage women. Women after abortion have a depression, anxiety disorder, suicidal ideation, alcohol dependence, illicit drug dependence, or mental health problems. There are possible side effects -hemorrhage (heavy bleeding) possibly requiring treatment with an operation, a blood transfusion, or both, incomplete removal of the unborn child, placenta, contents of the uterus, requiring an operation and the chance of a miscarriage and pelvic inflammatory disease also increases. Acute inflammatory conditions occur in 5% of the abortion cases. A study sponsored by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario found that after three months, aborted women had a rate of 5.2 per thousand hospitalizations for psychiatric problems, compared to a rate of 1.1 per thousand for the control group.

No civilized society permits one human to intentionally harm or take the life of another human without punishment, and abortion is no different. In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant. For women who demand complete control of their body, control should include preventing the risk of unwanted pregnancy through the responsible use of contraception or, if that is not possible, through abstinence. Many Americans who pay taxes are opposed to abortion, therefore it's morally wrong to use tax dollars to fund abortion.
KonstanBen

Con

Rebuttal 2:

Argument 1: reproductive coercion
My opponent conceded that this is a possibility. This argument is important as if I can find just one example where an abortion would make sense, abortion should not be illegal, just restricted. Remember, restrictions on abortion without total outlawing is a solution that means a vote con. My opponent is arguing against rape alone, though reproductive coercion is not just rape. In the case where there is unanticipated, undesired conception, the women deserve the right to abort.

Argument 2: Racism
My opponent completely dropped this argument. Extend this argument. Making abortion illegal discriminates mostly against the black community. This means that it is an act that institutionalizes racism.

Argument 3: Human being
My opponent has argued that abortion is killing human beings, yet they have dropped the argument of what qualifies as a human being. Extend my third argument. This shows that abortion does not actually kill anyone/anything.

Argument 4: Women feeling bad
Here my opponent uses a study to say that women suffer after abortion, but I have three concerns with the argument. The first is that in the case of the problems being a result of exterior pressure, it has been dropped that that is a societal problem, not one of abortion. Second, even if there may be consequences, the women deserve the right to choose, even while knowing the risks. In addition, mental problems are better than death. Third, my opponent's study shows a very small impact. An increase of 4.1 per thousand is too little an impact to have any weight.

Argument 5: tax dollars
Tax dollars are meant to benefit the people of the United States, not just what the majority of taxpayers want. A democracy (or like-government)'s job is to zealously protect the ideals of the minorities. If the minorities need abortions, it is not in the power of the majority to take that right away from them.

Accordingly, I negate.
annka

Pro

My opponent were saying that fetus is not a human being, but I think that fetus is never anything other than human from conception, and therefore has a right to life from this time. Even if people are saying that the fetus is not a human being, it is clearly regarded by most people and most societies as something special that should not be casually discarded. The Bible teaches that the child in the womb is truly a human child, who even has a relationship with the Lord.

My opponent were pointing out a lot about racism. Yes, there is racism in abortion, so there is one more reason why abortion should be illegal- because of the racism.

Religion believe that life begins at conception and that killing is morally wrong and also the Bible clearly teaches that abortion is wrong. This teaching comes across in many ways and for many reasons.
Women have rights to control themselves. I want to talk about women rights issue in relation to the fetus rights. I will say that women are allowed to make abortion in three different cases-1. women life is danger 2. pregnancy is a consequence of sexual violence or 3. expected child will be hopelessly sick. Problem is then when woman does not have one of these cases, but she still want to make abortion.

Woman has rights to control herself, but we cannot forget that fetus is not a part of women body. It has other DNS and although it is growing in mothers body and it is autonomous entity which is going to be born. Its goal is being born and it has the right to be born. Woman has right to control herself and should logically avoid sexual intercourse or conception. Once fertilization has taken place, it is a responsibility for the new life.
KonstanBen

Con

Final Speech:

Argument 1: reproductive coercion
My opponent has admitted that there are cases warranting abortion! This means that my opponent is agreeing that abortion should be restricted, though not made illegal. By saying this, my opponent has conceded the round.

Argument 2: Racism
My opponent has misunderstood my racism argument. I am not saying that abortion is racist, I am saying that making abortion illegal is in essence institutionalized racism because it is denying a choice made primarily by blacks. Extend this argument as it has gone unrefuted.

Argument 3: Human being
What is important in this argument is that my opponent doesn't use sources whereas I do. This means that my claims have more backing and you should vote neg for this point. I have a definition, my opponent does not.

Argument 4: Women feeling bad
This point has been dropped and should thus be voted Con.

Argument 5: tax dollars

Voting points:
Spelling/grammar: "My opponent were saying" -Aff Vote con for better grammar.
Conduct: No clear winner
Sources: The Neg had better and more sources.
Arguments: See above for the five main points in this round.

Accordingly, I negate.
Posted by cwt002 1 year ago
cwt002
Con's arguments seem a little illogical. Something becomes racist when a specific race (for instance) is denied a service or treated differently. If abortion becomes illegal it is for everyone no one is treated differently. That is like saying hunting or guns should not be illegal because it is prejudice against southern whites. There could be many other things to fit in this scenario.

Then most abortions are done out of convenience, not because it is dangerous to the women.

Also, con says babies are not human beings.........seriously? which according to the definition someone does not become a human being until they begin to speak so around 14 months old. I would figure a better analysis would be heartbeat, growing, breathing....but that is all done in womb as well. Seems like either way it is murder preventing a life that will eventually have hopes, dreams, and desires.
Vote Placed by Lee001 1 year ago
Lee001
annkaKonstanBenTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro based the argument on more how he/she felt. pro didnt use any sources, neither did he back up his claims like con did. Con did a great job at refuting evrey claim made by pro. Con also used sources. Well done.