lemusthecuban
didyouknow

Abortion should be illegal

didyouknow has forfeited round #3.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

lemusthecuban

Pro

I believe abortion should be illegal. I want you to make the first move.
didyouknow

Con

I would like to begin with a quote "no one is perfect", we have all heard this quote at some point in our lives and have applied it to our lives whenever we found it necessary, primarily to make us feel better but more importantly to give ourselves a second chance.

The same applies to abortion. Abortion is a way of giving unprepared, irresponsible and unready women a second chance.

Child birth is a strenuous task and take a toll on the human body. Pregnant teenagers are not well fitted to handle such a strenuous procedure. to give such people a second chance before It is too late is important. not just pregnant teenagers but also grown women who are not financially or socially stable make mistakes and deserve a second chance.
lemusthecuban

Pro

Woman wouldn't need a second chance if they were responsible from the get go. Especially teenagers, who should be practicing abstinence from sex in my opinion. It is the safest way to not become pregnant or catch an STI. However, why are we giving women a second chance by taking away a life that hasn't even had a first chance? I am a bit confused there. That fetus could have the potential to be a Nobel Peace Prize Winner. Adoption could be an option as well.
didyouknow

Con

Everyone needs and deserves a second chance. I agree with you, teenagers should be having safe sex but also, USA still has 249,078 teenagers getting pregnant (2016).

Pregnancy can disrupt their education and can cause problems with their future plans. if we illegalize abortion we are taking away the opportunity of more than 200000 teens in America of becoming the next Nobel Peace Prize Winner.

Since we are talking hypothetically about the future of the fetus You said we are depriving the fetus of a chance, but what if he or she is born to a poor and unstable household, he or she has automatically been deprived of a good education, environment, social life (in most of the cases). Therefore, to prevent such a situation from occurring we should keep abortion legalized.
lemusthecuban

Pro

Okay as a person who was born to a mother that was a teenager at the time, had already dropped out of high school and. in a household of a small income, I would have to disagree. I am already on my way to being a successful entrepreneur. What you're saying is the fetus should be aborted because the teenager needs a second chance, while the fetus hasn't had even had a first chance. Instead of promoting keeping abortion legal why not promote abstinence from sex or at least safe sex. Meaning using spermicides, wearing a condom and using birth control. A baby can at often times be a negative consequence of being irresponsible. So you consider murdering a fetus just because an irresponsible teenager made a bad decision. How is that even remotely morally right to you? So no abortion is wrong period in any case. Also, I think you keep forgetting the thought of adoption.
Posted by Smorfy 1 year ago
Smorfy
Lemusthecuban, humans should never be a "negative consequence". If they are a negative consequence and considered as such, it could lead to a horrendous childhood for them. Knowing that they are an accident and "negative consequence" will seriously depress them and deprive them of self-esteem. They could even kill themselves! I am glad you didn't have a nasty childhood (at least it seems that way by your position on abortion and statements about it), but that doesn't mean your results are shared by the majority. I would provide proof, but a "nasty childhood" is highly subjective, so there can't exactly be any scientific tests on it. You also say that instead of supporting abortion, we should support abstinence and safe sex. I feel we should do both. I also feel we are doing both. Abortion can (and is) a safety net for those who slip through the cracks of abstinence and safe sex. Sometimes people can't afford safe sex, but still have sex. Those that do so will undoubtedly not like the consequences, but they deserve a second chance. They will know not to do it again. Being a pregnant teen is already hard enough with all the stigma; illegalizing abortion would force them to have a baby they don't want, and would force even more stigma upon them. If the baby grows up and finds their parent, that would also be an incredibly awkward meeting. Making abortion illegal is NOT a good idea. Thank you.