Abortion should be illegalized

Abortion should be illegalized.

BoP is shared.

Abortion - "The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, most often performed during the first 28 weeks of pregnancy."

illegal - "Contrary to or forbidden by law, especially criminal law"

1. First round is only for acceptance.
2. Minor trolling is allowed as long as it is not consistent.
3. Requests for a change of rules, definitions, and/or the debate structure are welcome in the comment sections. However, you can not do so as soon as you accept this debate challenge.
4. No kritiks or semantics. For the sake of this debate, I provided definitions for words every member should be familiar with to prevent biased definitions from the adversary.

Failure to follow these rules will result in a 7-point forfeiture.

Debate Structure

R1 - Terms and Acceptance
R2 - Proposals
R3 - Rebuttals and Further Proposals, if either Pro or Con wishes
R4 - Rebuttals and Further Proposals, if either Pro or Con wishes
R5 - Rebuttals, Further Proposals from Pro, if he wishes, and Conclusions

Let's begin!

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate challenge. Let's begin! I look forward to a good one!

Argument 1 - "Less Mental Anguish Caused"

"Women who go through an abortion have to always carry that thought with them. They often wonder what their child would have looked like, acted like, and what type of person he/she would have been. No matter how strong a #woman is, an abortion causes mental anguish that never truly goes away."

As the quote explains, most who choose abortion often have to wonder what their child could have grown up to be. Because of this, they begin to regret their decision.

According to a 25 year old woman who would have had a 5 year old child, whether it would have been a girl or a boy, if she hadn't chosen abortion:

"I thought about how if I asked her how old she was, she would have lifted up her entire hand to show me all five of her fingers. As good of a decision it was so many years ago, I honestly still regret not having this child.
I ended up calling the father last night, we hadn't talked for over four years. We chatted for 3 hours, and he told me about how after we stopped talking, he went through two years of grieving on his own, where there was not a moment he did not think about me or our child. The fact that he thought about our baby somehow meant so much to me. It was a great chat. He told me he's now engaged to a wonderful girl. I'm happy for him.

It's taking a very long time to "get over" this abortion, and honestly I don't think I ever will. I will always think of my baby...I will always miss and love her. All I can do is wait for time to heal the sadness, and I will be left with only serene and happy thoughts about how I once had a beautiful daughter."

According to a 23 year old woman who chose abortion due to the lack of the minimum necessities needed to raise a baby:

"Now for some reason I wish I could take it back.. I know it's crazy and after only 9 weeks of being pregnate I miss my baby more then anything.. I feel like I'm missing apart of my soul and heart.. I know it was the right decission I just cant help what my heart feels..."

Argument 2 - "Many Women Endangered by Abortions"

"Not all abortions are handled in a manner that is both sanitary and done by a professional. Abortions can be very expensive, which causes some women to seek services wherever possible. There have been quite a few cases of women dying, becoming sterile from a botched abortion, or ending up in the hospital with further complications."

According to the Guttmacher Institute, serving to "advance sexual and reproductive health and rights through an interrelated program of research, policy analysis and public education designed to generate new ideas, encourage enlightened public debate and promote sound policy and program development,"

"complications from unsafe abortions in the developing world contribute to 47,000 preventable deaths each year."

If abortion was illegal, we can prevent 47,000 deaths each year, which is a huge contribution to our nation.

Argument 3 - "Adoption is Another Option" + Societal Contributions of Unwanted Children

"Adoption is always brought up when people talk about aborting an unwanted child. The idea of aborting a child who would make a welcome addition to another family’s household is expressed by many pro-life individuals."

Putting your children up for adoption when you lack the essentials of properly raising a child is a much better option than abortion. You don't give up your child's future. Many who are born due to their mother's indecision of abortion grow up with many contributions to our society.

"Kimberly Scott is yet another woman who wanted to keep her baby after she was raped... Since that time, Kimberly’s baby, conceived under the most horrible conditions, has proven to be a remarkable child. When he was just six years old, young Mika Scott made local headlines by heroically pushing an attacking dog off of a baby at a party, and saving the baby’s life."

"In recent days, the world’s attention was drawn to one lovely young lady who was the product of rape. Valerie Gatto, Miss Pennsylvania, competed in Baton Rouge for the title of Miss USA. The Inquisitr reported her story of being loved by her birth mother, who ultimately decided to keep her baby after being brutally raped at knife point. With the support of her family, that baby has grown up to be a beautiful inspiration, speaking out to young people about how to protect themselves from sexual assault."

That concludes my proposing arguments. I am eager to read my opponent's response.

For your first quote, it maybe true that certain women regret having an abortion but generalizing all women who have had an abortion as having the same way of thinking can't be proven. You do go on say "most" which is more realistic than saying all, however it is still difficult to prove. Your argument seems to be based on inference, not statistical evidence which should have been your go to source, not some website's opinion.
Your anecdotal evidence that your put about the 23 year old does not do much to prove your case concerning the legality of abortion either. A lot of people regret things that does not necessary mean that therefore it should be illegal. For example there are people who regret drinking alcohol, however that does not then mean that we should make alcohol illegal because some people regret it.
I agree with you that not all abortions are handled in a manner that is both sanitary and done by professional doctors. This is all the more reason why abortion should be legalized because it can then be regulated to make sure that it is both professional and sanitary.
I don't know if you know this but much like the prohibition of alcohol, Illegalizing abortion will not stop people from getting abortions. In fact illegalizing abortions will just make people look for other alternative ways of getting abortions. whether its harmful drugs, or coat-hangers, this is not what we want in society. Illegalizing abortions would increase the number of unprofessional, and unsanitary abortions not decrease them which I believe was what you were speaking against in your second argument.
Those 47,000 deaths are most likely not coming from abortion clinics. They are probably coming from people who are having unprofessional abortions.
I think that you will find it settling that I agree with most of your moral arguments. However this is not an issue of morality this is an issue of legality. For example I will illustrate a hypothetical scenario. Imagine that there are 2 brothers, and one brother suffers a kidney failure, and needs the other brothers kidney to survive. For some people it would be considered immoral for the brother of the person with the kidney failure not to give way his kidney. However no one would argue that is should be illegal for the brother of the person with the kidney failure to decide not give his kidney way. Why because he has a right to do what he wants with his body.
This is why the discussion of abortion concerns bodily rights.

Wartek forfeited this round.

Unfortunately pro has forfeited this round, so in order to continue the debate in a fair manner, I will not be posting an argument because there is nothing to rebuttal. Pro can post an argument, or rebuttal to my earlier argument in the next round.

Wartek forfeited this round.

elthagreat forfeited this round.

Wartek forfeited this round.

elthagreat forfeited this round.
Posted by Wartek 1 year ago
missmedic, I want to inform you that I am playing devil's advocate. I am not really against abortion.
Posted by missmedic 1 year ago
Stopping unwanted pregnancies is the best way to reduce abortion. A proper education on human sexuality and birth control is the best way to stop unwanted pregnancies. Making abortion illegal puts control of it in the hands of the criminals and endangers women's lives.
United States have highest teenage pregnancy rate according to the 2013 statistics 52.1 per 1000 of female"s population (age group of 15-19). Almost 89% of these pregnancies are outside of marriage.
Japan has the lowest rates of teenage births in the industrialized world(4 per 1000 age group of 15-19), closely followed by Switzerland and the Netherlands. Education and counseling are key. Surveys of adolescent women found 3 considerations to be important: nonjudgmental attitudes on the part of providers, confidentiality, and de-medicalization of the encounter