conlan99
Oishya

Abortion should be legal as long as the fetus has not yet become self conscious.

conlan99

Pro

As a person of reason, I argue that as long as a fetus has not yet become conscious of itself or it's surroundings, it should be legal to abort. I say this, because at this point in the pregnancy, the fetus is not aware of itself, and can therefore not want to cling to life. If the fetus is not aware it is alive, cannot observe anything, and is not wanted, where is the harm in terminating it?
Oishya

Con

I hope you will not object to me being against the premise that you may only abort until the fetus is conscious. I wish to make the argument that this is an arbitrary (although not obviously so) restriction. Firstly, I am not sure that a fetus is ever conscious, but assuming that it is, what is there to be conscious of? We allow the murder of mice, cows, dogs, and birds on a massive scale and their brain function is massively more complex. (No, I don't want to debate vegetarianism, or animal rights, particularly.) You are putting a value on consciousness that, at first, seems wise but on closer inspection does not hold up to scrutiny. I end with a question: Why does human life have the value, you and pro-lifers, are giving it?
conlan99

Pro

conlan99 forfeited this round.
Oishya

Con

Oishya forfeited this round.
conlan99

Pro

conlan99 forfeited this round.
Oishya

Con

Oishya forfeited this round.
conlan99

Pro

conlan99 forfeited this round.
Oishya

Con

I'm sorry to see that you've let this one go...