SgtHakeswill
Habeera

Abortion should be legal up through the second trimester, regardless of circumstance

SgtHakeswill

Pro

Round Structure:
1. Acceptance
2. Opening statements (No refutations)
3. Counter arguments
4. Counter arguments + closing statement

This will be a policy debate about abortion in the United States. My goal is to support the conclusion that pregnancy termination procedures should be made legal to all women, so long as the procedure takes place during either the first or second trimester (approx 26 weeks after conception), regardless of a women's reasoning for seeking this procedure. My opponent should either be arguing that a woman should only be able to receive an abortion under special circumstances (ex. rape, threatening the health of the mother) or for the abolishment of the practice all together.

This debate WILL NOT be concerned with government policies that would either support or inhibit the accessibility (recent controversies over the closing of abortion clinics on technicalities) or affordability of abortions (whether or not a business would need to provide an insurance plan covering abortion). This is simply concerned with the practice itself.
Habeera

Con

I disagree as it is against my religon .Many relegious books are also proof of this.
SgtHakeswill

Pro

The issue of abortion has been hotly debated ever since the the Supreme Court ruling for Roe V. Wade went into effect. Both sides are deeply rooted in emotion, one side believing that it is an issue of saving human lives while the other believes it is a fundamental right for women. For this debate, will wish to put aside the usual emotional bickering and get down to the facts. My main contention is:

Why is it that we, as a society, will accept the slaughter of a pig for food? Or the hunting of a deer for sport? Or the extermination of pests infesting a home? While there could be multiple reasonings, one of the more pervading ideas is that humans are "special". Many pro-life supporters will argue that humans differ from other animals in that we have souls; a supernatural life force. While I do believe that humans are fundamentally different from other animals, giving us more rights, I do not believe this is because of a soul. Simply put, there is no scientific backing for the presence of a soul. What, then, makes us "more important" than other animals? I believe it is our consciousness; an individual's awareness of unique thoughts, memories, and sensations. The consciousness of a human is higher than that of a pig. The pig does have thoughts, memories, and sensations but not on the same level of a human. We have higher intellects, emotional expressivity, and society cooperation (altruism). This is the reason we should not slaughter humans for sport.

When does consciousness arise? We know for a fact that the cluster of cells one week into the development doesn't have any thoughts. We have scientifically discovered that consciousness in humans begins, in a primitive state, between the 24th and 28th week of pregnancy [1]. Considering that consciousness is not present in 1-2 trimester old fetuses, they are just that: fetuses. They lack what other humans, with rights, have.

1. http://www.scientificamerican.com...

I await my opponents response
Habeera

Con

Habeera forfeited this round.
SgtHakeswill

Pro

My opponent can post his opening statement for his next argument if he chooses, canceling the counter argument stage of round 3. If he fails to post anything for this round, he will have concede the entire debate.
Habeera

Con

Habeera forfeited this round.
SgtHakeswill

Pro

SgtHakeswill forfeited this round.
Habeera

Con

Habeera forfeited this round.
Posted by Samcoder1 8 months ago
Samcoder1
No need for religious arguments here, they hold no ground. Simply highlight the ethical problems with arbitrarily deciding when life starts e.g when the brain is developed 'enough' to the extent of an actual date that a ball of cells becomes a human. A clear humanitarian issue requiring no mention of religion,