16kadams
Jurn77

Abortion should be legal

16kadams

16kadams

Con

1st round acceptance and definitions.

Abortion - the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus
http://www.merriam-webster.com...

So termination of a pregnancy.

I argue it should be illegal, except if it dangers the woman's life. My opponent argues in all cases it should be allowed.

1st round acceptance for the contender.
Jurn77

Pro

I thank my opponent for beginning this intriguing debate. He has already stated the definition from Merriam Webster.

"I argue it should be illegal, except if it dangers the woman's life."

Does Con mean only physically? By what I understand if an underage girl gets pregnant, it would "danger her life" very much mentally, and she would most likely struggle for most of the baby's (early) life. I consider that endangering the woman, and her child's life.

In my opinion, Abortion should be legal in all cases. I believe it should be a choice by the mother, even if it is morally wrong the government should not be involved in her decision. I believe if the government has the control to tell a woman what choices they make with their own bodies, it is not a very free country after all.

I believe this is as much point as I can make for my first argument, and now wait for Con to make his rebuttal.
16kadams

Con

I already stated in round 1 that r1 was acceptance for the contender, as that was the rule my opponents line of argumentation is irrelevant unless reiterated this round.

=Case=

C1: A fetus is a human

Embryology, a branch of scientific thought, shows very clearly that upon fertilization a new human being is born. Fertilization is when the sperm fertilizes the ovum. This process is more commonly known as conception. Now, at this point a fetus is scientifically a human. This quote from a textbook explains:

“Although human life is a continuous process, fertilization is a critical landmark because, under ordinary circumstances, a new, genetically distinct human organism is thereby formed.“ [1]

Human development begins right when conception occurs, further they have the same DNA as well as other aspect that give them the aspects of life. Now, lets look deeper into DNA (though not the only aspect that is needed to be a human). A human has 23 chromosomes, generally, and the sperm and the and the egg hold different attributes within the DNA. The two need to be connected to get the full human being on a DNA spectrum. (thats why masturbation is not murder, but its immoral. Lets not get into that though). Its impossible to call the sperm a pre embryo as its impossible to know which one will get to the egg first. Now, we also must look into the fetuses ability to reproduce. It can, simple as this: “You cannot call a sperm and an egg a pre-embryo because you don't know which sperm will make it into the egg first. Thus you don't know what the makeup of the embryo will be. Once the sperm enters, then you have a zygote, and when it divides you have an embryo.“[2]

With this information, it is quite safe to assume a fetus is indeed a human. (not only does it have the DNA, but other aspects that is felt the need to speak I will name some more). To conclude this premise:
"every time a sperm cell and ovum unite, a new being is created which is alive and will continue to live unless its death is brought about by some specific condition."[3]

C2: Abortion is unhealthy

The first issue (likely the most controversial) is the breast cancer link. Now, when a woman is pregnant she already has a higher risk of the cancer due to larger breasts and higher hormone levels during pregnancy. So, the hypothesis is if you interrupt the abnormally high hormones you change the circumstances as well as other hormonal balances and therefore increase the risk. [4] Animal research as well as other studies affirm this argument. "among women who had been pregnant at least once, the risk of breast cancer in those who had experienced an induced abortion was 50% higher than among other women."[4]

The second reason is uterine scarring/damage. If you look at it, abortion is actually done poorly, and sometimes given little care. As Dr. Warren Hern claims: "It may be argued that each abortion, no matter how carefully performed, results in a contaminated uterine cavity." [5] This argument is logical, your, well, shoving things in there that should not be in there.

The third reason is future pregnancies. "Contrary to common belief, population-based studies, have found that elective pregnancy terminations in the first and second trimesters are associated with a very small but apparently real increase in the risk of subsequent spontaneous preterm birth." [6]

CONCLUSION:

Sorry for being short, but I am tired. That is all, abortion is murder and unhealthy, therefore other methods (adoption, contraception, abstinence) is a lot more effective. Its unnecessary. VOTE CON

___________
[1] O’Rahilly, Ronan and Müller, Fabiola. "Human Embryology and Teratology", 2nd edition. New York: Wiley-Liss, 1996
[2] http://personal.georgiasouthern.edu...
[3] E.L. Potter, M.D., and J.M. Craig, M.D. "Pathology of the Fetus and the Infant" 3rd Edition. Chicago: Year Book Medical Publishers, 1975
[4] http://www.abortionbreastcancer.com...
[5] Warren M. Hern. "Abortion Practice" (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Company, 1990)
[6] http://www.aaplog.org.../
Jurn77

Pro

Jurn77 forfeited this round.
Jurn77

Pro

Jurn77 forfeited this round.
Jurn77

Pro

Jurn77 forfeited this round.
Posted by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
dumb a** voter
Posted by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
No offense 16k, both of those arguments are really bad. I only voted for you because the other side forfeited.
Posted by Jurn77 4 years ago
Jurn77
Just checked my email, will post my argument for the round tomorrow morning.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
16kadamsJurn77Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit by Pro
Vote Placed by daytonanerd 4 years ago
daytonanerd
16kadamsJurn77Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Sorry.
Vote Placed by THEBOMB 4 years ago
THEBOMB
16kadamsJurn77Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff