dramos
jamccartney

Abortion should be legal

dramos

dramos

Pro

1. Abortion is about allowing woman the right to make choices about when they want to have children in relation to their age, financial stability & relationship stability. It is the not the place of government to legislate against woman's choices.
2. Raising a child is not an easy task & requires social & emotional commitment coupled with financial resources. As such if a person feels they are not ready for a child, it means the pregnancy is unwanted & resultant allowing a fetus to grow into a child is worse than abortion since the resultant child will grow in a non conducive & destructive environment without the love, care & stability that a child needs.
3. The argument against abortion is a moral argument which is subject to personal interpretation so should not be legislated against. Those see it morally allowable to do abortion should be provided with the means to do so & those who don't believe in abortion should have the choice not to have an abortion
4. A fetus is not legally or scientifically a person or human being so abortion cannot be equated to murder or taking a life since the fetus is not a person nor alive.
5. A fetus is like a brain dead person with no self awareness or consciousness so it is actually dead.
6. Prohibiting abortions doesn't stop abortions, women would simply seek abortions via illegal means which are unsafe & illegal, so it is better to provide woman with safe & legal ways to do an abortion.
7. Abortion prevent unwanted & unplanned pregnancies which prevents child neglect since the mother does not want to have children at that moment in time.
8. Making abortion illegal is also a class struggle since the rich can always go to other places where it is legal & have an abortion whilst the poor cannot do this, but have to resort to unsafe abortions which can lead to their death.
9. Making abortion illegal is more or less compulsory pregnancy which contradicts the quest & fight for freedom.
10. Making abortion illegal will increase teenage pregnancy (children having children). This usually leads to illegal abortions which can lead to death or permanent health defects, poverty, joblessness, hopelessness, and dependency.
11. A woman's right to choose abortion is a "fundamental right"
12. Personhood begins at birth, not at conception. Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy (fetus), not a baby. Personhood at conception is not a proven biological fact. Fetuses are incapable of feeling pain when an abortion is performed.
13. Access to legal, professionally-performed abortions reduces injury and death caused by unsafe, illegal abortions.
14. The anti-abortion position is usually based on religious beliefs and threatens the vital separation of church and state. Religious ideology should not be a foundation for law.
15. Modern abortion procedures are safe. The risk of a woman"s death from abortion is less than one in 100,000, whereas the risk of a woman dying from giving birth is 13.3 deaths per 100,000 pregnancies.
16. Access to abortion is necessary because contraceptives are not always readily available. Women need a doctor's prescription to obtain many birth control methods, such as the pill, the patch, the shot, and the diaphragm.
17. Abortion gives couples the option to choose not to bring babies with severe and life-threatening medical conditions to full term.
18. Many women who choose abortion don't have the financial resources to support a child.
19. Motherhood must never be a punishment for having sexual intercourse.
20. A baby should not come into the world unwanted. 49% of all pregnancies among American women are unintended. Having a child is an important lifelong decision that requires consideration, preparation, and planning.
21. Abortion reduces crime. Teenage girls, unmarried women, and poor women are more likely to have unintended pregnancies, and since unwanted babies are often raised in poverty, their chances of leading criminal lives in adulthood are increased.
22. Do we have the right to force the mother to keep the baby solely because she consented to participate in these sexual activities? Do we have the right to take away another"s right as we continue to fight for other rights? Why do we take away the rights of a woman because she has the potential to have a baby?
23. We get right to life, liberty & pursuit of happiness when we are born. he fetus does not have these rights until it is born. So abortion is not murder & abortion does not go against the rights of a fetus since it does not have any until born.
24. Every woman has the right to do whatever they want with their body aka Bodily Autonomy. This is one of the reasons why it is illegal to take organs from the deceased that have not signed off permission. If we continue this right after life, why do we strip it from a pregnant woman? Why would you grant a dead person a right that you wouldn"t give to someone that is alive.
25. If someone needs something donated that you have, you are not legally obligated to donate anything. This parallels to pregnancies because a fetus does need these resources, but the mother is not legally obligated to keep giving this baby her resources. Denying to give someone a body part is not illegal, so terminating a pregnancy should not be illegal
26. Legal abortions protect women's health. Legal abortion not only protects women's lives, it also protects their health. For tens of thousands of women with heart disease, kidney disease, severe hypertension, sickle-cell anemia and severe diabetes, and other illnesses that can be life-threatening, the availability of legal abortion has helped avert serious medical complications that could have resulted from childbirth. Before legal abortion, such women's choices were limited to dangerous illegal abortion or dangerous childbirth.
27. Being a mother is just one option for women.* Many hard battles have been fought to win political and economic equality for women. These gains will not be worth much if reproductive choice is denied. To be able to choose a safe, legal abortion makes many other options possible. Otherwise an accident or a rape can end a woman's economic and personal freedom.
28. Even when precautions are taken, accidents can and do happen. For some families, this is not a problem. But for others, such an event can be catastrophic. An unintended pregnancy can increase tensions, disrupt stability, and push people below the line of economic survival. Family planning is the answer. All options must be open.

1. http://www.debate.org...
2. http://abortion.procon.org...
3. http://www.topix.com...
jamccartney

Con

I accept the challenge and will argue that abortion should not be legal. I will now state my points:

1. Women have sex knowing that there is a risk of getting pregnant. If they don't want to have a child, then they should not have sex.
2. If the fetus is beyond 23 weeks, it can feel pain.[1]
3. Abortions cause phycological damage.[1]

I want to point out that some of your points are irrelevant. These include:

"10. Making abortion illegal will increase teenage pregnancy (children having children). This usually leads to illegal abortions which can lead to death or permanent health defects, poverty, joblessness, hopelessness, and dependency."

That statement is not necessarily true. It would be more likely to decrease teenage pregnancy.

Those 3 points I stated earlier are only three of my many dozens of points. Be prepared for very long paragraphs of reasoning against abortion.

[1]http://abortion.procon.org...
dramos

Pro

Here is my counter argument
-Refer to my point 19 (19. Motherhood must never be a punishment for having sexual intercourse.)
-Refer to my point 22 (Do we have the right to force the mother to keep the baby solely because she consented to participate in these sexual activities? Do we have the right to take away another"s right as we continue to fight for other rights? Why do we take away the rights of a woman because she has the potential to have a baby?)
-Refer to point 24 (Every woman has the right to do whatever they want with their body aka Bodily Autonomy. This is one of the reasons why it is illegal to take organs from the deceased that have not signed off permission. If we continue this right after life, why do we strip it from a pregnant woman? Why would you grant a dead person a right that you wouldn"t give to someone that is alive.)

-It is the right of every woman to make choice as regards their bodies & when they want to have children. What of women's rights
-Shall we then blame women for being biological the sex that has to bear children.
-It is mainly because of man who do not want to take responsibility for the actions that many woman are forced to have abortions
-A child is the product of sex between two people so you mean to say you are okay with man who go about impregnating woman and not taking responsibility

2. If the fetus is beyond 23 weeks, it can feel pain.
-If thats the case then lets make abortion legal for pregnancies less than 23 weeks, which i think is the law. So we agree abortion should be legal. The question is upto how many weeks should abortion be considered legal

3. Abortions cause phycological damage
-I assume you meant "physiological damage"
-If abortion is done by qualified medical practitioners following the medical guidelines, research actually shows that there is a greater chance of dying from pregnancy than from dying from an abortion
-the problem is the back-door abortion centers, these are mostly caused by making abortion illegal or too costly for the poor to access.

3. On teenage pregnancies. Here are 5 facts
(a) Teenagers are having more sex than before
(b) Teenagers are having more unprotected sex than protected sex
(c) As a result teenagers are having more teenage pregnancies
(d) As a result teenagers are having more children than before
(e) As a result teenagers are having more abortions than before
-So in addition to giving teenagers more sex education, we also need to provide them with legal & safe ways to have abortions as opposed to unsafe & illegal abortions.
-If we make abortions illegal, teenagers will have more children
-If we have abortions legal they will have less children
-This affects their prospects in life for being financially free of dependance and being financially secluded

Fewer rounds for debate ensures that each person makes a solid case.

The next round is the last one so please provide all your rebuttals
jamccartney

Con

Hello and thank you for your response. I will now give my counter argument:

I first want to explain why I made my first point - "Women have sex knowing that there is a risk of getting pregnant. If they don't want to have a child, then they should not have sex." I am a man of discipline. I believe that every action has a consequence, whether it is is good or bad. I would not have sex if I did not want to be a father, because I understand the consequences. I know many people who feel the same way.

You say "Why do we take away the rights of a woman because she has the potential to have a baby?" Well, we don't. That potential to have a baby is a special gift that should not be wasted. Aborting a pregnancy is not a natural gift. It is artificial, which means there must be limitations and barriers to the right or abortion.

I will take a moment to explain what part of abortion I am fine with:
1. A victim of rape should have the choice of an abortion or not.
2. If the fetus is predicted to have a terminal illness or defect.

Those are the only two cases. Although, I am more lenient about it when it is in the first 23 weeks`, I am still not a fan. The baby could grow up to do great things: Become president, climb Mt. Everest, give motivational speeches, come up with a great medical device"But when the pregnancy is aborted, that potential is gone. That is another reason I do not like it. I still do not want abortion to happen at all.

And I apologize for misspelling 'psychological'. I did not intend 'phycological' or 'physiological'. I intended 'psychological'. Abortion causes psychological damage because the mother sees the fetus die; She sees her unborn baby who would never be born. All the hormones released in her body would make her feel worse about it. It would indeed affect the mother's state of mind.

Here is why I think making abortions illegal would decrease teenage sex: The teens who choose to have sex would be more likely to change their mind since they know there would be nothing they could do about a baby.

Conclusion: One of the main reasons I dislike abortion is because I like discipline. Like I said before, a man and a woman choose to have sex with the knowledge that they may bear a child. It is my belief that all people must live with the choices they make. If I had to support it, I would support it within the first 23 weeks, only because I do not want the unborn fetus to feel pain.

Thank you for debating me about this topic. And by the way, the two round debate is brilliant. I never would have thought of that. Good thinking!
Posted by dramos 2 years ago
dramos
sorry i missed the final round, will give you my response using the comment section
Posted by jamccartney 2 years ago
jamccartney
Why are there only two rounds? There should be at least 3 or 4.
Vote Placed by whiteflame 2 years ago
whiteflame
dramosjamccartneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: There are multiple reasons I could pull the trigger for Pro, but I'll focus on the simplest: Con simply didn't make any arguments regarding any moral harms of abortion as a whole. His first argument is, perhaps, a lapse in discipline, but not a harm of abortion, and Pro makes that clear. The second is a harm of some abortions, but not all. The third is just not well proven, and Pro responds well here. So I find the proof of moral harm lacking, no physical harms, maybe a small societal harm. Pro has a plethora of arguments on all these fronts, with some decent citations to back them. He probably has too many to explain adequately, and I would argue that he should have selected 5 or so to explain fully and make a solid stand with, but the strength of his argument is still evident. Con, if the amount of arguments is daunting, respond to them in groups rather than individually.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
dramosjamccartneyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro gave massive arguments for why abortion should be legal that con fell tremendously short of refuting.... Truly a one sided debate, arguments and sources to pro since his arguments were superior and he didnt paste sources as his entire argument like con did in one of the rounds.