huntabby
bearski

Abortion should be legalized nation wide for any woman over the age of 16 without parental consent

bearski

huntabby

Pro

Currently, you must be 18 to have an abortion without parental consent. Some states require that you must have both parents consent if you want to get an abortion younger than that. I believe it is wrong to place a woman's choice over her body in her parent's hands. A 16 year old girl is more than capable of deciding what to do with her own body. It's her body and therefore, her choice. It's not up to the parent to make a decision that would affect her for the rest of her life. She should not be forced to parent an unwanted or unplanned child. Children are not only a lot of work, they can also be extremely expensive. The cost of having a child would follow the young woman for the rest of her life. If she doesn't want a child, it's not up to the parents to decide.
bearski

Con

There should be less restricted access to abortion services than what currently exists. However the decision to have an abortion is a serious one and parents are in a good position to help their child make the correct decision.

I would not lower the age requiring parental consent to 16 but raise it to 21. Teenagers including in their late teens are prone to impulse and making poor choices and thus still need parental guidance.

However I would add a provision which would allow the child to seek consent for a responsible qualifying adult other than their parents. Who this would be would need to be defined and determined. What is important is for adults to be involved. Parents are best but that is not always possible or appropriate
huntabby

Pro

I do not agreed that it should be raised to 21. That is an extremely high age to have parental control over a young woman's body. Parents do not always know best. There are still many parents who are bigoted and would force a woman to have a child she didn't want. Some parents do not act in the best interest of their child, but rather in the interest of religion and their own personal beliefs. Parents should not have so much control over a young woman's body, I like the idea of having a trusted adult sign off on it, but there are also many young woman who have no adults they can trust in their life. I still stand with my original statement that any woman 16 or older should be able to sign for an abortion without any consent from an adult.
bearski

Con

Before having an abortion a woman under the age of 21 would be required to present a form signed by a parent or responsible adult certifying the abortion is in the woman's best interest and she has made a well reasoned decision to choose an abortion.

There could be someone at the abortion clinic-- a nurse or social worker for example who could interview the child and then complete and sign the form allowing the abortion.
huntabby

Pro

I agree with you on that. I think that would be a good option.
bearski

Con

most of the cases I've known where children are pregnant abortion is the better option. But I think the involvement of responsible adults in helping them reach a decision to have one is important.. I didn't specify who these adults should be but limiting it to those whose professions (nurses, social workers, doctors and others whose professional ethics require respect for confidentiality and self determination would not be unwise
Vote Placed by David_Debates 1 year ago
David_Debates
huntabbybearskiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded to Con's argument, dropping his BoP. "I agree with you on that. I think that would be a good option." My vote goes to Con, as Pro was unable to fulfill the BoP, and Con was able to have Pro agree to his argument.
Vote Placed by dsjpk5 1 year ago
dsjpk5
huntabbybearskiTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession in the final round.