KymberLayne
Dave34

Abortion should never be outlawed

KymberLayne

Pro

Hello, this is my first debate. My opinion is that abortion should never be outlawed.

My reasons for believing this are as follows:

1. The government should never have control over an individual's personal choices dealing with their body. If you support the idea of the government making an individual's personal decisions, then you need a good reason. If it is for religious purposes, then the government has no right to make laws based upon religion due to separation of Church and state.

2. The world is overpopulated.

3. If you force people to have children, when they can't afford it, then they will put a drain on the economy when we provide them with welfare.

4. Should we force young children, junkies, the poverty stricken to have children if they can't afford them?

I personally love children, but I always want the choice to be "mine". I know people tend to have this whole idea that it is "already a life", but this isn't a good argument. The intelligence of an embryo is non existent at the first stages. Nearly 80% of women get abortions prior to the 2nd trimester, and "thoughts" or "pain" do not exist anywhere near that time.

http://www.abortionno.org...

I personally am a full time employee of a large company, but with the cost of living if I ever got pregnant I would HAVE to go on welfare. This is true of so many women in America.

5. It is just a given in cases of rape/incest. Who can, without a guilty conscience, say that you should not be allowed to have an abortion in a case of rape/incest? Why would you want to bring a life into the world, even if it isn't physically or mentally impaired, knowing that it came from an incestuous or rape case? It would cause mental and sociologically turmoil. What if you or your significant other were just revealed to be from an incest pregnancy? The psychological scars that it would cause are immense.

6. Lack of actual education could decrease abortions. Abstinence education doesn't work, and if you oppose abortions then promoting sex ed. and condom use would reduce abortions. Not making it necessary to outlaw them.
Dave34

Con

Abortion, in any case for any reason, should be outlawed. I do agree that we should always have that choice, but, the thing is, we have a choice to do whatever we want. The law simply cannot force us to do anything, we have choices anyway, however, choices do have consequences.

I want to ask you, would you murder a 10 year old child because it wasn't outlawed? Would you want to murder anybody for that matter? A paralyzed man hooked on life support, not able to feel a thing, would you unhook his life support because you felt like it or because it wasn't outlawed? Or would you have the attitude that, "Well, he won't feel it, so it's ok." Just because someone can't feel pain or because it isn't outlawed, is it really not the same as murdering?

As God put us here for a purpose, and we each have lived or almost lived to fulfill that purpose, why not let the child do the same? If you kill it, it loses its purpose. There are alternatives to abortion, you can always give it up to a loving family after you've had the baby. Thats a choice, would you rather have the life and let it fulfill its God given purpose in an adopted family, or kill it and let it lose that?
KymberLayne

Pro

You first say that we should always have that choice but then you say abortion should be outlawed.

Would I murder a 10 year old child? No. Would I unhook a paralyzed man on life support? If it was his choice to come off of life support, that's a whole different topic. Someone on life support has lived a life and has had a conscious life, but an embryo or zygote in a womb has had no conscious or life experiences. So it isn't comparable. Also, you didn't say "braindead" you said paralyzed, so this person is still conscious and thinking. An embryo isn't.

First of all you bring God into the debate. "God" is a religious belief that should have no bearing on the law. You can't say "Well it is God's plan" when not all of us believe in God, and even those who do don't necessarily believe abortion is murder or even against God.

There are alternatives to abortion, for people who CHOOSE those alternatives. But there is also abortion for those people who choose abortion. Who are you to tell what people can or can't do with their own bodies? There are already tons of kids in foster homes, not everyone can find a "loving family". Bringing more kids into the world without parents is worse, in my opinion, than aborting them before they are even conscious. Also, referring to embryos as a "child" is false and inflammatory.

I also want to point out that you haven't responded to any of my points in the first post.
Dave34

Con

So we should just kill these babies. I could care less what people think regarding religious belief or how the baby doesn't feel anything. Have you thought about the consequences people fa emotionally after performing an abortion? It's horrible and have you seen pictures of chopped up babies, forgive the expression. Maybe this photo will change your mind. Late term abortions, partial term abortions, whatever the case, is killing life. Once life has started, the life should continue to grow.

Picture removed by admin due to TOS violations
KymberLayne

Pro

I have never advocated late term or partial-birth abortion. I always emphasized embryo, zygote, etc. I don't think that abortions should be performed past a certain time line. Except, in the rare occasion of extreme complications affecting the woman's life. As far as how the woman feels, it is her decision and as with any serious decision that someone can make in their life, they must live with those choices. Why would you give an unconscious embryo more rights than a conscious woman?
KymberLayne

Pro

Ok?? Are you conceding?
Dave34

Con

Dave34 forfeited this round.
KymberLayne

Pro

I guess this debate is over.
Dave34

Con

Dave34 forfeited this round.
Posted by Eccedustin 6 years ago
Eccedustin
Dave34, this is a debate site, in case you have forgotten....
Posted by Dave34 6 years ago
Dave34
I posted a warning, if you don't want to look at it you dont have to. I am trying to show how monstrous it is and inhumane to kill a life.
Posted by Eccedustin 6 years ago
Eccedustin
Certainly there must be some rule about posting graphic pictures on this site..
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
I would do that here, except I just finished an abortion debate, and don't really want to do another one.
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
OreEle,

Yeah, that's my favorite anti-"abortion ban" position: arguing the slippery slope of third trimester abortions. Making the pro-choice side argue that if the baby is still in the birth canal, the woman can have the doctor chop off its head, but as soon as it's out, it's life is somehow protected.
Posted by Ore_Ele 6 years ago
Ore_Ele
That's the easiest thing to take, abortions during the birth process, or just days before giving birth, when the baby would be able to physically survive on it's own (biologically speaking).
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
I don't think even a pro-lifer would argue that abortion should be ENTIRELY outlawed..
Posted by bluesteel 6 years ago
bluesteel
I'll let you debate someone who's pro life. But be careful - if I took this, I'd argue that partial birth abortions should be outlawed.
Vote Placed by Eccedustin 6 years ago
Eccedustin
KymberLayneDave34Tied
Vote Placed by TUF 6 years ago
TUF
KymberLayneDave34Tied
Vote Placed by Grape 6 years ago
Grape
KymberLayneDave34Tied
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
KymberLayneDave34Tied
Vote Placed by gavin.ogden 6 years ago
gavin.ogden
KymberLayneDave34Tied