AlexisW2017
tmar19652

Abortion should not be a matter of the people's choice.

tmar19652
Started: 2/19/2013 Category: News

AlexisW2017

Pro

I would like to take this time to clarify what this argument means, I am going to wait until round 2 to start my argument. This just stating how each side feels on the topic of whether or not abortion should become illegal and a consent of the public or if it should still be kept legal as a matter of being a woman's personal choice.
tmar19652

Con

I will argue that abortion should remain legal, and available to women. You have the burden of proof in showing that abortion should be illegal.

P.S.
You are pro to the resolution : "Abortion should not be a matter of the people's choice.", which states that you are against abortion, even though it says you are for abortion on your profile. Please think through your resolutions better on future debates.
AlexisW2017

Pro

I would like to apologise for the confusion. It seems as though I have not clarified my argument enough. When I said "Abortion should not be a matter of the people's choice," I meant the people as in the public and law makers, not the person getting the abortion.
tmar19652

Con

Its too late to clarify in this debate, post your arguments that abortion should be illegal, or concede.
AlexisW2017

Pro

Although I do not personally disagree with abortion, I will continue this matter as I do.
As most should note, murder is obviously punishable by law. Webster's dictionary states that murder (1) is " to kill (a human being) unlawfully and with premeditated malice". Life is noted to begin at conception making the unborn fetus a "human being".
Abortion (2), also defined by Webster's dictionary, "the termination of a pregnancy after, accompanied by, resulting in, or closely followed by the death of the embryo or fetus". This process happens with the knowing of the mother, or carrier of the unborn fetus.
With abortion killing the unborn child knowingly of the mother (fetus' carrier), it is clearly stated under the definition of murder that abortion is stated to be "unlawful", therefore clarifying the fact that the choice of whether an abortion should take place or not should be left to the choice of legislators or a grand jury, just as death penalties are decided.
(1)http://www.merriam-webster.com...
(2) http://www.merriam-webster.com...
tmar19652

Con

By your own source for the definition of murder, Murder is the “the crime of unlawfully killing a person”, however my opponent has only proved that the fetus is a life, not a person. While the fetus is alive, it is by no means a person, or a human being.

Fetuses are uniquely different from born human beings in major ways, which casts doubt on the claim that they can be classified as human beings. The most fundamental difference is that a fetus is totally dependent on a woman's body to survive. Anti-choicers might argue that born human beings can be entirely dependent on other people too, but the crucial difference is that they are not dependent on one, specific person to the exclusion of all others. Anybody can take care of a newborn infant (or disabled person), but only that pregnant woman can nurture her fetus. She can’t hire someone else to do it. Another key difference is that a fetus doesn't just depend on a woman's body for survival, it actually resides inside her body. Human beings must, by definition, be separate individuals. They do not gain the status of human being by virtue of living inside the body of another human being—the very thought is inherently ridiculous, even offensive.” (1,2)

Therefore, if the fetus is not a human being, or a person, then it is not murder to kill a fetus, just as it is not murder to kill a goldfish. Therefore to protect women’s health and rights, abortion should remain a matter of public choice (3,4).

1. 1. http://www.prochoiceactionnetwork-canada.org...

2. 2. http://en.wikipedia.org...

3. 3. http://en.wikipedia.org...

4. 4. http://en.wikipedia.org...

Posted by angelcoba 4 years ago
angelcoba
I will and of the same topic
Posted by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
> "then why are you debating on abortion should not be a matter of the people's choice?"

Because her resolution was accidently unclear, and she ended up defending a position she didn't agree with. She meant to resolve that the public ("the people") should have no say in whether indivuduals choose to have abortion, i.e., a pro-choice stance.

> "The killing of fetus is wrong because by science after 3 months of the woman being pregnant the fetus/baby can be considered alive"

That sounds like a difficult position to defend. Why don't you challenge Alexis to a debate?
Posted by angelcoba 4 years ago
angelcoba
"Although I do not personally disagree with abortion, I will continue this matter as I do."
- That is what you said, then why are you debating on abortion should not be a matter of the people's choice?
- The killing of fetus is wrong because by science after 3 months of the woman being pregnant the fetus/baby can be considered alive declaring the involvement of the government after 3 months. Death penalties for abortion is absurd. Even the U.S. President sides with abortion, thus leaving the choice to the mother and doctor ... lol
Vote Placed by angelcoba 3 years ago
angelcoba
AlexisW2017tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con had more convincing arguments. Pro did well!
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
AlexisW2017tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did post a good argument, but her argument was refuted by Con.(conduct, spelling, sources, counter vb) This was a changed vote.
Vote Placed by BigSky 4 years ago
BigSky
AlexisW2017tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Extend Grantmac's vote
Vote Placed by Grantmac18 4 years ago
Grantmac18
AlexisW2017tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: In my mind the resolution was clearly referencing the people's ability to vote on the issue of abortion. I give conduct to Pro because she was bullied into a position that fit Con's understanding of the resolution. Furthermore, Con copy and pasted a very weak argument from a biased source and chose to ignore the ambiguity of this collection of opinions. Pro did the best she could given the position she was forced into; very poor conduct from Con.
Vote Placed by likespeace 4 years ago
likespeace
AlexisW2017tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's resolution was unclear, and so she ended up defending a difficult position. It was a reasonable attempt, but ably rebutted by Con.