Swaghound13
AnthonyM

Abortion should not be an option for parents.

Swaghound13

Pro

I do not think that abortion should be legal. Some might say, "Well just because the Christian religion is against abortion, that should not mean it should be illegal in the eyes of the government." My question is: how can you say that when it was just legalized in MO to by alcohol on Sundays a few years ago. The American government already sets itself up to be hand in hand with the Bible. But even without the religious stand, I can argue this topic. If a hunter can not go out and shoot himself a doe, or a bald eagle whenever he wants, how can a mom have the right to terminate the life of the most vulnerable, defenseless, harmless human beings? There are PLENTY of options for a mom that does not want to raise her child. In many towns, any parents who do not want to keep their baby can drop their baby off at the hospital without saying a word. Another option that will give an unwanted baby the life it deserves is adoption. This will give the child a chance at life. Yes, it will grow up not knowing who his/her biological parents are, but it is better than not letting the baby live. Another key point is that when a teenager or early adult has a child at such a young age, they are not very confident in themselves when it comes to raising a child. When most parents that are forced to raise a child at a young age grow a little older, they are usually so glad that they had their child.

These are the reasons I think abortion should not be legal.
AnthonyM

Con

I'll accept.
The fact that MO legalized the purchase of alcohol on Sundays shows that the country is ready to go against the Judeo-Christian tradition that has been running this country for ages. Just because the government already shares a lot of irresponsible values with the Bible does not mean that it is okay. And a hunter can go shoot a doe during hunting season. A mother has the right to an abortion because there is no human being inside of the mother during the first trimester. And while there are many options, as you say, that does not mean that we have to eliminate abortion as one of them. Also, some births can negatively affect a mother, even kill her. Also, there is the simple fact that the government has no right to legislate the reproductive systems of women.
Swaghound13

Pro

Swaghound13 forfeited this round.
AnthonyM

Con

Since there is nothing to debate with, I will re-emphasize my key point about the government.
As I stated above, the government has no right to legislate the reproductive systems of women. This is because they would be legislating the women themselves, the government would be legislating a woman's body, not anything else. When women aren't allowed to have legal, safe abortions, then they have to go through illegal, back-alley abortions. Also, by denying abortion as an option for rape victims, we possibly force traumatized women to relive their rape through their child, which is unfair to both the mother and the child.
Swaghound13

Pro

Swaghound13 forfeited this round.
AnthonyM

Con

With no argument, I think it is fair to say that I have won this debate. Thank you.