stormchaser221
SchinkBR

Abortion should not be illegal

stormchaser221

Pro

I think that abortion should be legal.

1. I understand that some people could use abortion for the wrong reasons, but people will abuse anything to their advantage.

2. No one is good enough to decide if abortion is right or wrong for each and every single person in America. So, everyone should be able to make their own choice. Some people are raped, and if abortion was illegal, would have to look at their stomach as a painful reminder of that event. Every time they would look into the child's eyes, they would remember. No one should have to go through with that.

3. Abortion being illegal doesn't make it mandatory. People just get to make their own choice. Supporting it doesn't make you a baby killer, it makes you a proponent of free choice.

4. Adoption isn't always an option. Some people may not want to give up their baby, even though they can't support it. They would feel too attached, once it is born, to let it go. They (assuming they are young) might drop out of school and ruin the baby's and their lives. Also, even if the child is put up for adoption, the child may feel rejected, and feel out of place when other students talk about family history (1). Also, adopted children may be more inclined to commit suicide according to this study (2).

I believe that choice is the only way to truly allow people their freedoms. People can't always choose when to get pregnant, and sadly, sometimes it is worse for everyone (parents & child) for the baby to be born.

(1): http://family.findlaw.com...
(2): http://pediatrics.aappublications.org...
SchinkBR

Con

First of all I'd like to ask my opponent to clarify what he means by abortion. Does he mean all form of abortions for any reason, or all forms except partial birth etc.

Secondly, I will not respond to my opponent's arguments until the second round, as that would give me an unfair advantage (an extra chance to dispute his arguments).

The predominate mentality of people who support abortion is that the woman should have the choice. I agree with this, however I believe the woman (and the man) have the choice when they choose to have sex. All abortion does is allow for people to easily escape from their responsibility. Think about it. In what other situation would you be allowed to walk away from your responsibility. Would you be allowed to walk away from a test because you weren't ready for it? Of course not. Would you be allowed to leave a car accident were you injured someone? Absolutely not? So why should you be allowed to escape your responsibility to see the child through birth? That's all that is required of you? If you don't want the child you can give it up for adoption afterwards.

Furthermore, abortion is essentially murder. If a drunk driver gets in a car accident with a pregnant woman, and they kill the child, they are charged with manslaughter or murder (2 accounts if the woman dies too). Here are some definitions according to Merrian-Webster for you to think about:

Murder- the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought
Since the resolution says it SHOULD not be illegal, that implies that it currently is illegal, and thus abortion is unlawful.

life- a state of living characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction

A embryo has all of these characteristics.
stormchaser221

Pro

Firstly, I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and for waiting until the second round to dispute my arguments. That will help keep the debate fair and again, I thank him for that. As far as his question, I am talking about all forms but partial birth, etc.

I will begin by refuting my opponents points.
1. "The predominate mentality of people who support abortion is that the woman should have the choice. I agree with this, however I believe the woman (and the man) have the choice when they choose to have sex."

1. Although I agree with this, not every case of abortion would be because of consensual sex. I believe that Rape would be the primary reason for abortion.

2."All abortion does is allow for people to easily escape from their responsibility. Think about it. In what other situation would you be allowed to walk away from your responsibility. Would you be allowed to walk away from a test because you weren't ready for it? Of course not. Would you be allowed to leave a car accident were you injured someone? Absolutely not? So why should you be allowed to escape your responsibility to see the child through birth? That's all that is required of you?"

2. I do agree that people shouldn't escape from responsibility. But, the people who would choose to abort their baby, but couldn't because of the law, probably wouldn't be very good parents. If they didn't want the baby to begin with, what makes it seem like they will be willing to raise the baby in a safe, nurturing environment. Although, you did respond to that with your next statement:

3."If you don't want the child you can give it up for adoption afterwards."

3. To begin, both me and my opponent are males, which means neither of us will ever experience child birth. But, the entire process from conception to birth can be extremely hard for a woman. Imagine a 16 year old girl being raped. You are saying that she has to deal with that for a baby she didn't plan for, or even want. She (presumably) wouldn't be married to the man that raped her, so she wouldn't have a husband to help her through. She would have to deal with pregnancy during school. Which means that she may drop out (1). Also, There are many health risks to the baby, including low birth weight, inadequate nutrition for the mother and child during pregnancy, and lack of prenatal care, which means the baby is 4 times as likely to die before age 1 (1). Also, teen dropouts are more likely to rely on public assistance and become involved in the criminal justice system (2). The connection between teen pregnancy and drop outs is startling. So, to have the option to discreetly abort the unwanted baby should be obvious.

4."Furthermore, abortion is essentially murder. If a drunk driver gets in a car accident with a pregnant woman, and they kill the child, they are charged with manslaughter or murder (2 accounts if the woman dies too)."

4. This, according to your definition of murder, really depends on if you consider an embryo a person. This is the true division, I personally don't believe it is a person until it leaves it's mother.

5."life- a state of living characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction"

5. According to this definition a cell has life. By scratching your arm you are killing cells, by getting cut you are killing cells. By having an abortion (in it's earliest stages) you are just killing cells. We don't have a problem with cells dying, so what is the problem with abortion before it leaves it's mother?

Again, I would like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate, and look forward to his rebuttal.

(1) http://www.womenshealthchannel.com...
(2) http://www.carrborocitizen.com...
SchinkBR

Con

SchinkBR forfeited this round.
stormchaser221

Pro

Because my opponent missed his round, I'm not going to present any real arguments this round. I just ask that you read over what I have already said, and I will let my opponent present his points next.
SchinkBR

Con

SchinkBR forfeited this round.
Posted by SchinkBR 7 years ago
SchinkBR
Sorry I missed my last two rounds. It was a busy week for me. This week is better for me so if you want to you can challenge me with the same topic
Posted by SchinkBR 7 years ago
SchinkBR
Damn, sorry I missed my round.
Vote Placed by zach12 7 years ago
zach12
stormchaser221SchinkBRTied
Vote Placed by SchinkBR 7 years ago
SchinkBR
stormchaser221SchinkBRTied